Training, trainers & the Politics of Paddling

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Komatiq, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Hi all.

I made a comment in another thread that I wanted to expand on a little in a different thread.

First up I wanted to say that the CRCA sea kayaking program is a top notch program and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone interested in becoming proficient in the sport. The BCU Star Program would be another great one although it's structured differently and it's difficult find qualified trainers here......... so far. :wink:

The trainers I have worked with here have all shown themselves very professional and fun "on the water". I helped organize a 2 day session up Island that Doug Alderson taught and we all had a blast, everyone felt they had invested wisely. A 2nd session in Ladysmith with another CRCA instructor was similar and the "on water" demo's I've seen Nigel do left me wanting to learn a lot more from him.

Like Dan I would be keen to sign up for any course Nigel Foster was teaching. He's an accomplished and avid paddler and a heck of a gentleman. He's got a couple of really nice kayak designs as well.

It's the politics within the industry here that causes me a bit of grief.... it simply isn't necessary but seems to have become part of it regardless. Hopefully at some point we'll see other options available that will help offset any "monopoly" on how the sport is taught here and an easing of ego's related to the situation now.

It's all about fun folks but doing it safely is vital, quality training does help.

End of rant.......... :wink:

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I'm a bit puzzled -- why did the VCKC need to get permission from the CRCA to have Nigel Foster come to their meeting? On the surface, this doesn't make sense to me.

3. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

Dan If you were posing your question to me I'm afraid I would have no answer and can't see what was up with that decision on "any" level.

If I were a member I would certainly have loved to have attended and been taking notes for sure.

Maybe our "well armed" newbies could add some insight....... :wink:

4. glock

glock Paddler

The VCKC has an arrangement with the CRCA that gives the CRCA exclusive instructing rights. Only CRCA coaches are used as instructors. All others would have to be approved by the CRCA.

I was invited to that meeting last winter and went believing the topic to be discussed would be the development of intermediate paddle trips for those members who were interested in such.

A long discussion in which various members of the kayak executive tried to come up with sanctions to govern non club paddle trips developed. Finally it was pointed out that if it was a non club paddle then by adding provisions and guidelines those paddles would in fact become sanctioned. It was then pointedly expressed that if a bunch of paddlers, be they VCKC members or not, got together to go for a paddle it was in none of VCKC's business.

I can't remember if it was me or Duncan Pennington who made that point. If it was Duncan he would have made his point with more grace and dignity than myself and I apologise for butchering that fine gentlemens reasoning.

From that point on the meeting was dominated by Doug Alderson who choose this opportunity to expand upon the virtues of the CRCA and to generally defend it against all other programs and specifically the BCU. He went on to explain the aforementioned relationship between the CRCA and the club. I recall him saying we needed a made in Canada Association.

That's when I put the Nigel Foster scenario to him. Initially he said Nigel would not be allowed to instruct at any VCKC sponsored clinic or class because he was not a certified CRCA coach. Later he relented and conceded that Foster could teach such a class but only if he sought and was granted permission to do so from the CRCA.

When my membership in the VCKC lapsed I didn't bother to renew it.

Maybe a member of the VCKC could explain why this special exclusive relationship exsists.

glock