Trip Reports Dec. - Jan.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by pawsplus, Mar 2, 2016.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I was gone for a while, but I was still paddling! Here is a quick re-cap of my adventures. I'll do one trip per post. :)

I paddled mostly at Percy Priest in Dec. It's the closest lake to my home, and while it's awful in the summertime (too close to town, so full of people), in the wintertime it's really pretty nice! I grew to like it this December. :)

DECEMBER 7, 2015

I launched farther East than I ever had, and headed for the aptly named Trigger Island.

[​IMG]

I saw SO MANY Blue herons that day! I don't have a fancy camera, but I was able to sneak up pretty close to a few and get pix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the North end of Trigger Island, there are all these cypresses. I haven't seen this many of them anywhere on the lakes before. It was really cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

DECEMBER 13, 2015

I went upstream on the Stones River, at the far Eastern end of Percy Priest lake. For most of the trip, there was only minimal current. I launched from, and returned to, the X.

[​IMG]

It was a nice trip, very leisurely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went as far as I was able to--at a certain point, the current picked up considerably, as the river narrowed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sloX_DNwZBA[/youtube]

ARGHGH!!! I can never get my videos to post here. :(

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

DECEMBER 27, 2015

I chose a simple route, as it was windy, and only got more so. Didn't want to get stuck, but nearly did anyway! It was a real slog coming back. :) But I enjoy fighting the wind, so that was OK with me!

[​IMG]

I'd been near Ponderosa Island before, but not circumnavigated it, so that was interesting. I got a break from the wind on the far side, and then WHAM it hit me as I rounded it to come home!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waMx0R5Bjw8[/youtube]

It took me nearly an hour to get back, even though it was less than 2 miles from where the wind started hitting me head on. Very cool day!

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

There was a long break when I could not paddle, due to the fact that my termite-infested house was being worked on. Connection? Well, my built-ins had to come out and the only place they could put them was the carport. By the time I got home that day, there they were, and the kayak, hung up in the rafters, was inaccessible. We had some awful weather during that period (snow, ice, sleet), so I wasn't gonna paddle a lot of those days anyway, but I missed some nice ones, too.

FINALLY . . . . !

FEBRUARY 6, 2016

I went with Roger (the one who is now giving up paddling, inexplicably) to do a one-way trip on the Cumberland River. It was a bleak day, but it was a fast trip, thanks to the current, which was strong from recent rains. We did 7 miles in an hour and a half LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Roger, the traitor:
    [​IMG]

And me, with the mongo barge that passed us:
    [​IMG]

You can see how much wake it churns up -- as it passed, we paddled up and surfed! It was awesome! :)

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

Cool photos! Thanks for posting.

6. fishboat

fishboat Paddler

You've been busy. Nice trips & photos. Up here in the tundra it's been hiking season only(with studded boots).

Sorry about the grief you had to deal with...know how that works...