Trouble Securing Kayak

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by JokersLastLaugh, Jun 27, 2016.

1. JokersLastLaugh

JokersLastLaugh New Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I am having trouble with figuring out how I am supposed to secure my kayak to my car properly. I am brand new to kayaking with the exception of renting one once a year ago. I just bought a package that includes a kayak, paddle and car-top carrier. There are no instructions in the package, so I thought it must be pretty self-explanatory.

This is the carrier kit I have:
    www.amazon.com/Lavika-Kayak-Car-Top-Car ... B0046FZJ6K

The package I bought:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pelic ... 8566p.html
    (It’s usually $500 CDN but I got it for $350!)

This is my vehicle with the factory roof racks:
    http://static.usnews.rankingsandreviews ... rfront.jpg

I don’t know if those links will help but I put them there in case it’s easier to understand what I have.

There is one long strap that has a buckle on one end, which I measured to be 170”. There are 2 smaller straps with hooks permanently attached to one end that are 165”, and I think to accompany those are 2 short straps that have a buckle and hook each that are 11”.

I originally thought that the long strap was useless and I would just use the two smaller hook straps combined with the tiny buckle straps to secure my kayak using the roof rack. Upon researching though it appears as if it is almost mandatory that I tie the bow and stern to my bumpers (I haven’t even checked where on my car I would do this). Every video I’ve seen about strapping the kayak includes a strap per bow/stern, and two straps to secure it to the rack. So that’s 4 straps in total, but I was only given 3!

Am I missing something about how to securely attach my kayak with the equipment I have? Did I get a kit that is crap and doesn’t give me all of what I really need? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Looks like there should be some crossbars to attach those foam carriers to. Did a salesperson suggest these? Does the vehicle manufacturer sell crossbars that attach to the racks shown in the vehicle photo?

3. JokersLastLaugh

JokersLastLaugh New Member

I just reposted them, sorry for the mixup.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

We crossposted. See my edit of my post for more info.

5. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

it seems to be a short kayak but the important thing is to tie the kayak (main fastening), fore and aft, to the vehicle, not the racks. Sometimes, under the bonnet (hood) there are bolts that short webbing strap loops can be fastened to to tie ropes to. They are sold at our kayak shop here so might be available where you are. The aft end can be tied to the tow hitch, presuming you have one.

6. Johnthethird

Johnthethird Paddler

Pretty certain you're going to need cross bars for your roof rack. When my wife and I bought our boats we had a similar mounting kit, and no roof rack. You can strap those foam blocks right to the boat, put boat on top of the car, then strap the whole thing to the roof, placing straps through the car doors. to do this, it looks like you'll have to buy a couple more straps. We then tied off the fore and aft to the front and rear of our car. When we first did this, it seemed sketchy at best...I went and bought a proper roof rack with cross bars later that week.

7. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

johnthethird's approach is what I've seen done with those pads - and is the main way that I think they are intended to be used when there are no racks - [screws up the door closing and interior headroom] . . . the second way is to put the pad grooves on the cross members of a roof rack and then use the webs to tie down crossways and one to the front.

However, there is another way, IF your present longitudinal rack runners are strong enough to hold the kayak:

1) turn the pads upside down, so the grooves are next to the roof, place the yak on the pads - which will deflect in the centre so that the foam hull curvature now happens on the reverse side,
    2) hook the two shorter webs to one of the longit runners oriented to each of the two foam pads you placed under the yak, go over the yak with the webs, down opp side and back thru the pad grooves to the first side and then back up and over the kayak to the other side again.
    3)Hook the two short buckle webs on the other longitudinal rack runner and cinch down the loose ends of the two long webs that you threaded around the yak.
    4) then attach the long web to something at the front [bumper, tiedown, or under hood bolthead, etc]

done. no door closing screwups, no interior head room problems, and is almost secure as any other approach. - and is as low down as possible to minimize those over height fees, too!