• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Trying to carve greenland paddle

elmo said:
Hi sushiy :D

Are you still using your homemade greenland paddle? How do you like it compared to 'traditional' paddles?

I'm wondering if I could build one myself as your photos made it look fairly straightforward.

Thanks,
elmo

Hi Elmo,
I am finally start practicing with it little by little. I have not suceeded rolling with it yet.
I don't have enough paddle time to practice all the skill I want to gain :( .
4-5 of my paddling buddies down here in Seattle uses GP, and they looove it and they can paddle really fast, and do all kind of tricks. And maybe you know by now,it is easy on your shoulder.

I don't know if you should do what you see on my photo, I guess you can. It is easy to make. Andrea can make it super quick, because he is a German furniture maker 8),

I showed it to Dubside, and he said the length is good but I should make the brade thinner.
My euro paddle is Werner's Athena ( thanks to WPC!!) and it is the top of line super light, I can paddle with it hours and hours, and my arms still don't feel the weight.

Definitely, you should try the GP since it is affordable and easy to make.

60_IMG_1202_1.jpg

60_IMG_1200_1.jpg

I just finished building two paddles. It was 34 hours of a pleasant work in well equipped shop. Band saw, draw knife, spokeshave and lots of sanding with long board. I like the finished product - they look like the ones from Ocean River for $300. Next step is the sea trials on Suqaro Lake in Apache Junction.

Back