Tsunami Debris

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by ken_vandeburgt, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

These Photos are from North Coast Trail near Laura Creek July 2012

Its not immediately obvious that there is lots of this insulation material on the beach. You could fill several garbage bags quite quickly.

Its a disaster for wild life that chews on the stuff.

Of course there is no way to determine if the materials in these photos are a result of the tsunami in Japan. The junk could have come from a thousand different places. I just don't remember seeing so much of it when I first hiked the trail just after it opened a few years ago.

Attached Files:

2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

The photos are very interesting, keep them coming.
    At lest one is dated 2011 and could be in the right time frame. Did the Bolt Buster still have oil in it?
    I wonder the source of the white foam? (maybe a boat)

Roy

3. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

Up here on the west coast of of Haida Gwaii I'm seeing tonnes of styrofoam, plastic water bottles and fishing floats. I'm not convinced that it's tsunami debris though; I think it's just garbage tossed overboard or lost from a boat. Most of the writing is English and the stuff looks old.

I've also found a dozen or so shoes which is a tad creepy.

4. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

The can of bolt loosener is actually Chinese, not Japanese. The bottle could be either Chinese or Japanese.

5. AM

AM Paddler

Yes, for a lot of the small stuff it will be difficult to determine if it is tsunami debris or just the (sadly) normal flotsam and jetsam that lands on the coast. When I was at South Brooks last summer, I was amazed at the mounds of crap washed up on the peninsula. This bottle, for example, is indicative of the sorts of things that didn't need a tsunami to find its way to our shores. Looks Chinese to me.

Attached Files:

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

While in Belize last spring we were camping, kayaking and snorkeling around Glovers Reef which is about 30 miles offshore. One day we kayaked over to Middle Caye which hosts a marine research station ( http://wcsgloversreef.org/ ) and I snapped this shot of the junk that was floating around the mangroves at the South end of the Caye. I asked the guide why, if Belize is trying so hard to preserve it's reef system, they don't bring school kids over to clean up the mess and educate them into the problems with throwing junk (particularly plastic) into the water. He replied that the currents were such that the junk would just be back again the next week. I guess we disagreed on the effects of educating them when they're young!

To be fair, this was by far the worst that I saw down there (at least on the water...it is a VERY impoverished country): 99.9% of the reef area was spotless but this particular spot just seemed to have a swirl where floating debris collected. Ironic that it was where the marine research station is trying to understand the reef system!

To me I would think that they could use that natural "collection point" to continue "filtering" the floating stuff out of the water to really good effect.

Attached Files:

7. AM

AM Paddler

On a trip around Cape Scott a week ago, I spotted lots of debris that was probably not from the tsunami (the characters were Chinese), but one piece that likely was. This is a woman's tabi sandal.

Attached Files:

• Tabi.jpg
      Tabi.jpg
      File size:
      265.1 KB
      Views:
  8. The GCW

The GCW Paddler

Big stuff,

Fish found in suspected tsunami debris off Ore.

Several live yellowtail jack fish — normally found in the coastal waters of Japan — were discovered in a chunk of a fiberglass boat spotted off the Oregon coast this week. The vessel is believed to have been set adrift by the 2011 tsunami that devastated the eastern coast of Japan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /25626227/