UCLUELET TO CAMPBELL RIVER IN 9 DAYS?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Adamandhisdog, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Adamandhisdog

Adamandhisdog Paddler

Hey,
    I am hoping people could let me know if my plan is realistic.

I would start in Vancouver, pick up an 18xS at Deep Cove Kayak, and catch the ferry to Sidney. Kayak to Ucluelet in time to tale the SKILS course from April 28-May 9. Then I would kayak to Campbell River for a wilderness first aid course from May 15 to May 24th.

After that, I'm heading up to Alaska.

Is my timeline realistic?

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Perhaps you could post your planned 'legs' with camping stops, weather days, etc.. ?
    What date are you planning to pick up the new kayak?
    How fast do you paddle?
    Are you comfortable starting out on a trip in a new boat?

BTW: May 10-14 isn't 9 days.....

3. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

Roughly 330 NM as the whale swims by the north route. Very interesting paddling...
    Roughly 230 NM as the whale swims by the south route (or 120 NM to Sidney to pick up your vehicle).
    Your mileage may vary...

4. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

I agree with Tangler's distance estimate. If anything, 230 nm involves some favorable assumptions about shoreline contours. The actual distance is likely to be somewhat more. Can you paddle 50 km per day every day for 9 days straight? I can't.

With this schedule, you'd be paddling each day through a minimum of one full tide and most of the next, thereby guaranteeing that you will encounter adverse currents for a portion of each day. Whatever your usual cruising speed is, it will be reduced during the time of the adverse current.

And all this is assuming no bad weather. In April and May, the Strait of Juan de Fuca experiences an average windspeed of ~15 knots. Half the time the wind is stronger than 15 knots. The prevailing direction is westerly, which will help you, but low-pressure systems are not uncommon that time of year, and even clear days can bring powerful onshore flow. You may get lucky and not encounter strong wind, but there's no guarantee.

Finally, it might be worth noting that when legendary paddler Freye Hoffmeister paddled the southern VI coast and both sides of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, she "only" made 30–40 km most days. Only on two days did she make 50 km in that region. Route map here.

I always hesitate to say someone's trip plans are unrealistic. People often underestimate what kayaks can do, so we kayakers constantly hear that our plans are unrealistic, and the nay-sayers are usually wrong. But with all due respect, I think your plans are unrealistic. I would allow at least two weeks for your itinerary. I personally would want at least three weeks to make that trip myself...but I am a slow paddler.

Alex

5. Adamandhisdog

Adamandhisdog Paddler

Thanks guys. Glad I have a forum to bounce ideas before setting plans.
    Don't know how I counted 9 days...