Under the aquarium, Seattle, WA 1 Oct 2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by alexsidles, Oct 2, 2017.

1. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

I've been holding off on posting any trip reports the last couple months until WCP returns to a more stable state and regains its formerly excellent captioning and image thumbnailing abilities. I know Dan and company are working on the software issues, and I'm grateful for their years of effort behind this forum.

The current software works well enough for simple posts, so here are a few photos from here in town yesterday afternoon. I paddled across Elliott Bay and under the Seattle Aquarium. The piers in Elliott form dark, mysterious mazes that are fun to explore.

01 Seattle skyling.jpg
    Fall is the prettiest time of year in Seattle because of the lovely clouds.

02 Seattle ferris wheel.jpg
    People in the Ferris wheel gawked at me while I gawked at them.

03 Fishladder at the aquarium.jpg
    The aquarium has a working fish ladder and salmon hatchery. Visitors watched me through the window, waving.

04 Under the aquarium.jpg
    Mysterious pipes and beams serried in all directions.

05 Secret underground water passage.jpg
    A secret passage way under skylights.

06 Inside the secret bay.jpg
    Emerging again under the sky in a hidden bay surrounded by buildings.

I do this trip every couple of years. My favorite part is the delighted gasps of children when they see my boat pop out of unexpected places. Many are on vacation with their families from landlocked places and have never seen a kayak, much less a kayak that can sneak around "underground" on the waterfront!

Alex

Rodnak Kayak likes this.
  2. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Very cool, looks like quite the spooky place...the water also looked a bit lumpy under there. I assume by the waterline it was a high-ish tide when you went in, as headroom could be an issue for a tall guy like me, being 5ft 5in! Haha! Love those urban paddles, and this looks like a good one. How far is your launch site from here?

3. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

Rodnak,

You have a good eye for water levels. This was the highest tide I’d ever gone under the aquarium during, and headspace was a little low in some places. The high water added to the cozy, secretive feeling. It was a little bumpy under there, surprisingly so for a 5-knot wind. Elliott Bay is exposed to the northwest, so maybe there was more than usual fetch.

I launched at Seacrest Park, and from there to the aquarium is 2.1 miles in a straight line each way, although I always end up detouring to visit the docks and barges and whatnot at Harbor Island. This is one of my favorite urban paddles.

Alex

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Very interesting! I had no idea you could do that! :)