• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Urban Paddling Question?

pointbob

Paddler
Hey all.

Just thinking about doing an urban style day paddle around Vancouver harbor. Mainly appealing to me because of the photographic opportunities from that unusual watery point of view.

Attached a rough map with my flight plan. While it's a busy place I'd be mainly stick close to the shore (with 100 feet if poss).

My question is actually about currents as there are two bridges in the area, particularly Lions Gate bridge (first narrows) which maybe "quick" at 2-3 knots. Does anyone know of a resource I can find out about the currents, online specifically. And of course any tips appreciated except stuff like "Don't do it Bob! You'll die!" lol

Thanks

vancouver_harbour.jpg

Are you allowed to paddle in there? I have a book (Paddling Through History) with routes around the Vancouver area and I'm pretty sure it says that kayaks can't go past Lion's Gate Bridge.

I might be wrong--I don't live there. My mom does and I visit (and read this book).

Back