Vancouver-ish and affordable

CaliPaddler

Paddler
There's a chance that work is going to relocate me to Vancouver (Gastown area) within the next year. I've not spent more than a week in the downtown area. I had big plans to visit the surrounding townships this month but I'm scuttling them all, because -- pandemic. I currently commute an hour to get to work and I'm looking for about the same or less. For a modest cabin, with easy access to A+ sea kayaking... where should I be looking, even virtually, to wrap my head around the options? (Is it a myth that I could find a house for under $500k USD?)

a_c

Paddler
"Vancouver" and "affordable" are two words that haven't gone together for a long time.....a relative US comparison would probably be the Seattle market.

The tool Kayak Jim linked to above is a good start. For under $675,000 Can (500 US) you might need to adjust your standard a little, though you might find something out in the 'burbs.

On the plus side, the kayaking is indeed A++ :D

Good luck!

Roy222

Paddler
Purchase price is only 1/2 to 1/3 of the equation. TAX, both local property and all the other taxes you might pay.
Check for all the taxes and compare to you current tax burden. There are all kinds of hidden taxes - sometimes called assessments.
Then there is cooperatives and condominiums, another layer of both government and taxes called condo fee.
Sometimes the local town/cities will have web sites that provide public information of taxes, both personal property and real estate property taxes. Real estate agents usually say, "I working for you", to both the seller and the buyer. Do your own research.

You now commute an hour. Is that bumper to bumper at 5mph on the 5? Maybe you could suffer a longer commute on rural roads.

Roy222

Paddler
Oh! I forgot to mention, there is Google street view that covers a lot of the area your are looking at.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
consider using transit to get to work: if the Westcoast Express travel times meets your needs, and if you are far enough out to get a seat, there is no better way to go to work than that [the final leg is along the south side of Burrard inlet for a great, peaceful trip end]. And the final stop is at the west end of Gastown.
It starts in Mission [tho' probably an hour and a half commute] so there'd be a wider [possibly] variety of price options [couple stops in Pitt Meadows area]. I worked in Gastown for many many years but was last on the express about 5 yrs ago so don't know the present situation. Washrooms, plugins, soft hiback seats = luxury for a bit more than basic transit cost.