Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Randy Echtinaw, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Randy Echtinaw

Randy Echtinaw Randy

Hello Everyone, I just joined today and it has taken me awhile to figure this site out but I am on the move :) I have been on the Guillemot forum for several years. I posted a trip question there and was directed here by a member of both forums.
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this subject, if not please let me know and I will move.
    2 years ago Jane (wife) and I spent two weeks on Vancouver Island. One week on The Mother Ship kayaking all day every day. It was the best trip ever. I am giving Jane another crack at the island as a Christmas present. Last trip we went in quite blind. This time we would like a better understanding of the terrain. I am all ears for anything concerning pkg. kayak trips, places to be sure to visit, people to be sure to visit, places to stay away from, companies to stay away from, etc.
    We will be flying in from Michigan, USA so we will have underwear, shoes, an appetite, and an appreciation for beautiful landscapes and sea creatures. Anything else we need we will have to forge for.
    I realize good things are easy to say in public, negative things should be said privately so please feel free to email me if you think that is best.
    echtinaw(at)iCloud(dot)com
    Any and all information is appreciated from those of you who have visited the island to those of you who are lucky enough to spend your lives there.
    Looking forward to our conversations :)
    Thank you,
    Randy

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

3. stagger

stagger Paddler

How long are you planning to go for?
    Are you looking for an experience that faces the open ocean or one on more sheltered waters?
    Where did you go last time? What did you like best/least about the last trip?
    Are you looking for another “mother ship”/glamping experience or are you inclined to rough it in tents?

4. Randy Echtinaw

Randy Echtinaw Randy

Hello Stagger, we will probably stay 2 weeks. On our last (first) trip we spent one week on the Mother Ship and one week just exploring the island by rented car.
    Our canoe/kayak experience is on lakes and rivers in Michigan. The ocean was totally new to us. I would say we are between beginner and intermediate paddlers so open ocean would probably be totally weather dependent. I had never heard the word "glamping" until two weeks ago but it sorta describes us. We are in our 70's, paddling all day is not a problem as is tolerating the weather of the moment but . . . it is wonderful to have a warm place to sleep and meals handed to us at night:) Sleeping in a tent on a cot or something similar is ok - sleeping on the ground does not sound like a good idea.
    The Mother Ship was 5 couples on a ship with a cook, two guides and a captain. In the water by 9am, lunch on the fly, back on the boat by 5pm. We were the least experienced paddlers of the group and had zero problem "keeping up".
    As I told John, this trip is a Christmas present to my wife. She will take over all the logistics as soon as the Christmas rush is over because she loves doing that. What I say today about our requirements may not sound exactly like what she says tomorrow. It is her trip, whatever makes her happy tickles me pink :)

5. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I wonder if a guided trip over to the Broken Group might be a seminal early experience.

6. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Perhaps combined with staying at Sechart Lodge and day-tripping?
    https://www.ladyrosemarine.com/sechart-lodge

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Randy:
    Which company was that Mothership experience with?

8. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

My two cents falls on a guided trip in the Brokens, either lodge-based or for more adventure, a guided several day kayak camping trip among the scenic Broken islands, sampling two or three campsites. You would need to borrow or buy a lightweight tent, sleeping bags, etc., but the outfitter would no doubt have a list of gear needed. I think you might be able to get the water taxi to ferry the heavy stuff each way if you stayed at one site. These folks do trips of that sort, although there are other outfitters also. https://www.oceankayaking.com Their web site outlines various options.

10. Randy Echtinaw

Randy Echtinaw Randy

Hello John,
    It is the Columbia 3 out of Port McNeil. Mothershipadventures.com
    I will try to include a photo
    Jane is quite excited about her trip opportunity. I told her there are several ladies and gentlemen standing in line on this site waiting to steer her in the right direction :) She will make her presence known in the next few days I am sure.
    We loved the time we spent on the island. If it wasn't for our extended family living relatively close to us we would move there in a second . . . . . . . . another 2 weeks there and we may move anyway :)

Attached Files:

11. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I just had a quick look at their website.
    Two good signs:
    -many/most of their 2018 trips are already sold out
    -there are a number of comments/reviews from repeat customers - some have done trips 3 or 4 different summers.
    I don't know how important it is to you to not see a lot of other paddlers when you are 'out there'. Generally, the further north you go (like the Columbia III which travels in the Broughtons and Great Bear areas), the fewer people. Places like the Broken Group can have quite a few paddling groups in the summer months.