Vehicle rust!

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Mark_Schilling, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

After paddling for about 5 years now, I've noticed a few small rust spots deveoping on my car. Eek! The car isn't new - as a matter of fact it's 15 years old already :shock: - but I have to wonder about the salt water dribbling off my boat and the effect it's having on the car. All 3 of the rust spots are on my sunroof - no wheel wells, doors, windshield areas etc. - it's all under where the boat would sit.

While rust on a 15 year old car may not sound too surprising, WetElvis has noticed a rust spot on his 5-year old truck, also near the roofline. We both started paddling about the same time - around 5 years ago.

Has anyone else noticed their vehicles starting to corrode from paddling? For those of you with more than one vehicle, is the one you use for hauling boats rusting out faster than the other, non-kayak-carrying vehicle?

Bring on the Bondo - my car is slowly subsiding into beaterdom. :(

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I"ve certainly noticed a bit of rust on the roof of my old Ford minivan that I attribute to salt water falling off of my boats when on the car. The van isn't in the greatest of shape and does have bits of rust showing elsewhere but I'm pretty sure that the rust around the top of the windshield is from loading wet boats on the vehicle.

On the other hand, I have an almost new Dodge Caravan that is showing no signs on it's roof -- mind you, I'm a bit fussier about the Caravan and wash it a lot more than the old Ford.

3. rider

rider Paddler

Mark,you drive a mid-90s Prelude,right? Pretty typical spot for these cars to rust,with or without salt water helping the process.
    My general take on it as a car guy is that saltwater won't hurt parts with healthy paint, but if you have spots where paint rubbed off,chipped or cracked, saltwater will help speed up the rusting process.
    I've been paddling for 3-4 years now and my 94' Firefly, that's a rustbucket elsewhere(it's from Sunshine coast originally) has not developed any more rust anywhere up top,even despite the copious amount of dings and scratches everywhere,roof included. The most i ever do for my car is hose it off after paddling, and wash once a month if it's lucky.

4. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

Oh man, tell me about it. Kayaking is horrible on cars.

I had a great beater just for kayaking, I used to park it down at the end of Pembroke. Unfortunately the car 'got bums' like how a cat gets fleas.

Street people kept breaking into it, shooting up in it, sleeping in it, etc. One day the cops phoned me, and told me they had taken it, cause they thought it was derilect. Never mind that it was still insured.

Anyways, after the gubb'ment stole my car, I was forced to put a rack on my gorgeous little '90 BMW 325is.

This car is really sweet, it's lowered, sitting on seventeens, tinted out windows, a whole slew of performance upgrades, etc.

Having a roof rack on a fine race car like this, is like dressing your girfriend up in your grandmothers panties.

It's not just the salt either, it's the sand, the damp, etc.
    I desperately need a new beater.

Somebody PM me if you have a decent one for cheap...

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I hear you. I really had my car dialled in - it handled like nothing else on a nice set of 17s, with all the performance goodies. I had to throw racks on to be able to paddle, and it didn't look right. Maybe I'm just getting old now - the lowering kit is out, stock suspension back in, back down to the stock 15" wheels... although I'm keeping the air intake and exhaust just to remind me of what it once was. But to find rust on what used to be my pride and joy... ouch. Maybe it's time to trade in on a mini-van (scrap that - I'm not that old, and never will be!).

6. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

Ya, that sounds like a wicked little race car. I think the trick is to pony up the dough for a beater, and keep your pimp whip looking sexy 8)