Very inexpensive video camera info request

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by kelly t, Dec 29, 2008.

1. kelly t

kelly t Paddler

Hello,

I had hoped to put a big smile on my daughter's face at Christmas by getting her a cheap video camera that actually worked. I was happy to see that Can. Tire had one on sale for $40 (which was half-price), so after having a look on the web for info and seeing it was '' 2MB....'' , I asked someone to pick one up for me and keep it hidden until Christmas...... Well,..... after getting it and wrapping it I began to wonder, as it looked rather 'toy-like'....
    Turns out the sensor is not 2mb, but only 300k..... which means as far as it being a video camera, it is very poor quality.
    So my request is this- Does anyone have any info on a digital video camera for under $100, OR a digital camera that takes lengthy video clips at a decent quality? It does not need to be waterproof.

I really want to put that smile back where it belongs.
    Oh, and to keep this on a paddling topic, she will invariably get a good video clip of me or my son successfully completing the first half of a roll :D

Many thanks
    kelly t

2. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

I picked up a SVP Aqua from ebay not long ago, total price new was $45, plus $25 for a 1G memory card. With shipping, $75 at my door. The resolution is 5MP,fixed focus, with a waterproof case that will go deeper than I want to, and is useable w/out the case. Video works fine, and takes decent pics for paddling shots, but I wouldn't reccomend it for detail shots- fixsd focus is not my idea of a good camera, but this one does do the job, with limitations. I have accidentally taken a couple of videos with it, so can endorse the video feature, but haven't tried it for a serious video shoot yet. Primary reason for getting it was to have a cheap camera that I could keep on the deck for easy shooting on the water, and not be overly concerned if it went south in a couple of years.

3. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

These are available from Best Buy for about $90 including the 1g card. The unit is now supposed to be 10mp but that might be misleading. At any rate, I'm seriously contemplating it.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Craig

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

Here's two shots from mine, as I said, great for snapshots, limited for close up work. The camera has a macro setting, but the flash doesn't work when in macro, and the focus is limited for closeups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]