Victoria day paddle - Sat, Nov 8 (tomorrow!)

Discussion in 'Paddling Partners' started by Mark_Schilling, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I'm looking to get a smallish group together for a day paddle (perhaps 5-6 paddlers) tomorrow. Baines Channel / Discovery Island or Enterprise Channel / Trial Island would be my preference. We will be looking for rough water. The morning flood mixed with moderate SE winds should create some good conditions.

Participants should be energetic paddlers, with reliable self-rescues in rough water and appropriately skilled. We're out there to learn and have fun, but we don't want to hear whining about anyone not being able to keep up.

Post here, PM me or email me at Mark(AT)WestCoastPaddler.com if interested. Time and location are flexible.

2. inpayne

inpayne Paddler

Count me in Mark.

-Robin

3. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Ooh ouch! :cry:

I appreciate you posting this piece of information and it really helps me pick which trips are appropriate for my own skill level. Instead of assuming that some of us slower paddlers whine, how about posting your average paddle speed to eliminate this problem? You may have covered it with this requirement: "energetic paddlers."

Thanks for letting me know what you expect Mark. I do like that in a forum.

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I certainly don't want to offend anyone. My wording was intended to make the point that paddling in rough water requires each paddler to have a certain set of skills and a certain degree of fitness. Even while paddling in a group, each member must be able to 'fend for his/herself'. One should expect to get knocked over at least a few times, and conditions don't always allow wet-exits and solo re-entries to be possible before you end up getting bashed on the rocks. Having one paddler that is less capable can put the entire group at risk. Assisted rescues are often not practical. As a best case scenario, that makes it not fun. Worst case scenario... I'll leave it to your imagination.

Paddling speed isn't really a factor - conditions can be such that we may not actually paddle more than a couple of km (relative to land) in a few hours. It's more about being able to sustain a high level of output for extended periods of time. When you start to get tired, it's time to pack it in for the day.

For those that think I sound 'elitist', so be it. I know my skills, and know what to avoid and what I can play with to improve my skills and still have fun. I'd rather sound elitist than end up being involved in something that could have been avoided.

In all likelihood, this will end up being a mainly flat-water paddle. But if conditions are right, it can be quite rough out there and we have to be prepared for that.

Thanks for understanding! 8)

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Hey Mark

Thanks for clarifying that so well. I don't think your post sounds elitist; I hear that you are an advanced paddler wishing to paddle with the same. Makes sense to me now. :D

I'm not there yet - but I am working on it. Sigh, I'm gonna need another boat for play. :wink:

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Wet Elvis, Inpayne and I, and probably Mike Jackson, will be meeting at 10:00am at Smuggler's Cove (tip of 10 Mile Point). If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

7. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Sounds like fun guys. Another month or two for me before it gets fun enough to go out look'n for ruff stuff. By then, the rift-raft are mostly all at the pub, solitude is assured, and it's worth slithering into a dry suit... :lol:

Doug L

8. inpayne

inpayne Paddler

Well, it was a great paddle but I was foolish enough to have it set in my mind to park near the Tudor North beach rather than Smugglers Cove.

When I decided to finally drive over to smugglers I met a walker who said that I'd missed mark & wet elvis by a few . My boat was back at Tudor, so I returned and headed out to find them. No luck. To the SW end of Chatham and then through Baynes to Haro but no luck spotting them. In gusts around 30 knots I played a bit off the east side of the Chathams and then surfed much of the way back to Ten Mile point. With things to do this afternoon I called it quits around noon. On the return home I checked smugglers and found Gordie at 12:20 ready to put in and hopefully have better luck finding the others..

.....-Robin

9. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

We had a great time out there too. After setting off around 10:15, we headed across Baynes and then through the chatham islands to Discovery. The waves around Seabird Point and Rudlin Bay were spectacular. I paddled out to Maynard/Smuggler's cove from the "home" beach at caddy bay. Track posted on my blog at:
    http://www.islandnet.com/~mjackson/pblo ... overy.html

10. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I just wanted to say that those informations, like, required skill level, type of the paddling ( flat water relaxed or bumpy adrenarine seeking, or racing)expected rating of the trip ( distance, sea state, etc.) should be on "ALL" the open invitation paddling as detailed as possible, because of the the reason Mark noted.
    Everytime we join the paddle, we put not only ourselves, but our paddling partners in danger ( sometimes life or death).
    I certainly don't want to be surprised when I found " the nice sceanic exciting paddling on the beautiful coast line" was really a rock scraping, hung between the rocks, and dumping surf landing paddle :shock: ... or " fast current crossing involved paddling" was really a "3knots current on just a hundred feet crossing"

11. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I have posted some interesting pics from the paddle which feature the unusual sight of Mark trying to get his boat (and himself) back into the water after an unintentional surf landing on a rock in Rudlin bay...
    Wetelvis was also there!

12. andreas

andreas Paddler

Mike: Where are the pictures? Can't find them anywhere....

13. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I only took video during that paddle but some if it was good, so I've put together another little 'movie'. I've uploaded to YouTube but the quality is absolutely junk. I've rendered a higher quality version but it's 460MB and keeps stalling out after uploading so it's still not there. I'll get it up there eventually and will post a link when it's done.

14. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

15. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

YouTube video is up!

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kmhBEDuCY0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kmhBEDuCY0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

Enjoy!

16. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

That was way cool Mark. Almost like being there.

17. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Thanks! I finally found a way to make the YouTube quality a little better, it seems.

For the record, the mishap at 0:24 is not a capsize; the camera mount came off the deck from the impact with the back of the wave.

I'm putting together another paddle this Saturday (Nov. 22nd), if anyone's interested. We're hoping for similar conditions; time and location are yet to be decided.

18. blondie

blondie Paddler

Yes, that is quite a bit better YouTube quality than is usually seen. Nice job on the video!

19. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

Nice work Mark! That did a great job of showing what it was like out there - lots of fun!