visit advice

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by thief, Apr 1, 2010.

1. thief

thief Paddler

Okay...So I wore my fiance down and we are going to be heading to the Vancouver area for our honeymoon in October. yeah!
    we have both wanted to get out there so this is a perfect reason ;)

We are going to be looking for some in city time as well as out of city time too....
    our last vacation was last august where we went to fairbanks alaska and had two weeks of climbing/hiking/backcountry rafting/camping/glacier climbing/sea kayaking and bumming around Fairbanks and Seward. So we are good to go anywhere!

I would love to get us out on the water there (got a face or two with forum people is always good!) spend some time out in the woods and kicking around Vancouver.

Any one and everyone's advice is welcome - always fun setting up a trip from cross continent!

Thanks in advance guys!

2. lilydipper

lilydipper Paddler

Check out Deep Cove

Hi
    If I were going to visit Vancouver I would definitely want to visit Deep Cove. It is close enough to the city so you can easily make evening trips to theatre and other city stuff,but the big benefit is just hanging out in Deep Cove and living the west coast lifestyle. Its a little village with shops, restaurants, great paddling, hiking and mountain biking all in your backyard. It is very friendly and small townish. I wouldn't suggest that this be your entire trip but you could easily enjoy 3 - 4 days here. Certainly you will have to go to Tofino. We often get paddlers coming from New York, Chicago who come and stay at one of the several B&Bs. September/October can be great for weather. Another benefit is that Deep Cove Canoe & Kayak Centre is there so you can rent, the kayak school is great so you can do get some really top notch skill development. We had a guy come last year who was a great paddler and he spent a week taking lessons, paddling, having lazy mornings. I thought it was a nice vacation.
    Check out Lockhaven Waterfront B&B. it is a B&B but it also has a full kitchen so you can cook dinners etc. Its waterfront with private hot tubs so its not cheap, but nice people and perched on the cliffs above Deep Cove. The rooms are big.
    http://www.lockehaven.ca/
    www.deepcovekayak.com
    www.deepcovebc.com

That's one lesser known option there are many more around Vancouver. Be sure to say Hi if you come to Deep Cove.
    Bob

3. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

How much time have you got? :wink:

I second Bob's suggestion for Tofino (about 6hrs from Vancouver - 2 hrs of that is on a ferry). There are plenty of places to stay, from campsites through luxury resorts, funky shops/dining, kayak rental/tours, whalewatching, surfing (lessons available), seaplane tours, hiking, fishing, etc, etc...plus if you are lucky, you'll get to experience a Pacific storm from the comfort of your resort (if you stay in one; don't think I'd want to experience one from a tent).

Away from the ocean, I'd suggest Whistler (about 2hrs from Vancouver) and area (Squamish to Pemberton, etc)...great hiking, glacier tours, golf, glacier skiing/snowboarding, river rafting, whitewater kayaking, sailboarding (Squamish), zip-lines; add in the resort town with rental condos or hotels, dining of all kinds, shopping, etc.

Or the Okanagan area (about 4hrs from Vancouver); I believe the wine festival is in October! LOTS of great wineries up there. Plus Okanagan Lake is nice (Kasey and candikayak paddle there), some great ski resorts up there with AWESOME powder snow (though October is a little early; mid-November or so they open, I believe).

In city time; well there is lots to see and do in Vancouver. Kayaking (rentals through Ecomarine or Deep Cove Kayak, among others), theatre (if you come before the end of September, you could catch Bard on the Beach), sporting events: you could check out some early season games from the 09/10 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION Vancouver Canucks - :wink: - or BC Lions in their temporary outdoor stadium, fine dining (I've got some great recommendations), hiking local mountains (within 20 minutes of downtown), sailing, city walking tours, Stanley Park, North America's second largest Chinatown...I'm sure I'm missing tons of stuff.

And of course, I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone to paddle with!

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

thief, I just lost a long post recommending Barkley Sound as a wilde alternative to Tofino, using the Frances Barkley or the Lady Rose as a vehicle to access either Bamfield or Sechart for overnighting, perhaps on a lonely beach, or at a B and B. If you want more info, post back.

Links to the steamer and its schedule;

http://www.ladyrosemarine.com/rates.html
    http://www.ladyrosemarine.com/index.html

5. thief

thief Paddler

wow...been lax here on this...

so...we are planning it all out now!
    We are shooting for Oct 7th to the 14th up there in Vancouver....both the island and in town....looking forward to this!!!!

so..now i have to read through Dave's stuff....looking for a bb in Victoria area as well as fun things to do!!!!

i might have to pick up a spare stove from Daren if i can too ;)

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Fly into Hongcouver, act like a tourist for a few days, then head over to the island for WAY more paddling opportunities.

my 2 cents

7. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

That should be worth at least $2usd.

This is exactly what I'd do as well.

In Vancouver do not miss bicycle rental for a trip around Stanley Park, then ferry boat transfer to Granville Island for lunch. Whistler trip should be good as well. Ah, and do not forget a cup of coffee in one of the Starbucks on Robson and Granville (or Burrard). Excellent for some of the most exotic people watching places on this planet!

Transfer to the Vancouver Island is easy. Either you take a ferry (about one hour drive from downtown, then 1.5 hrs on the ferry), or a 30 mins float plane flight. That will give you the opportunity to scan Gulf Islands for potential kayaking trips.

Kayak rental places (quite a few in Victoria and Sidney) will provide you with ideas on the paddling trips. Alternatively, ask on this forum for specific routes you might be interested in.

Victoria has numerous BB's around town. Mr. Google will be your best friend in helping to choose one.

If you decide to make a trip to the Broken Group, the best arrangement is to drive to Port Alberni, stay overnight in Roses BB, take a Lady Rose steamer to Seachart lodge, rent kayaks there and enjoy paddling Broken Group. Check for schedules, as season is winding down after September.

Have a nice holiday.

8. thief

thief Paddler

i am now taking notes..........
    the 2 cent tour....can i pay by check?

9. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

You wanted to say: 2 cent honeymoon, right? It wouldn't be a bad deal.

In fact, The prices here in October will be somehow less, than in the high season. You might get two for one deal for the whale watching zodiac ride, and BB will be negotiable as well. However food and kayak rentals will be the same all year around.

Whatever it costs though, have a good one and stay afloat:

Attached Files:

10. janet986w

janet986w New Member

Re: Check out Deep Cove

:hug :hug :hug

Such a very amazing link!
    Thanks you for the post.

:kiss :kiss :kiss :kiss