Wanted White water paddle

Discussion in 'WCP Buy & Sell' started by SheilaP, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Been out playing in a short boat in rock gardens. :mrgreen: While I had a lot of fun, I hate taking my Werner Carbon out there. So, I am looking for a short, chubby little paddle that can take a beating (just like it's owner :wink: ) Looking for NOT feathered, 210ish, plastic OK, one piece fine.

Let me know what you've got WCP's. :big_thumb

2. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Hi Sheila.

I have a 210 Werner Tybee, 2 piece straight shaft. It's carbon reinforced nylon - strong, but not light. It's in excellent shape.
    http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/touring/recreational/tybee_cf_im/

The Tybee seems to be available new for about $150. I'd like to end up with $75 (CDN) in my pocket after shipping. You're in Victoria; I'm in Sandpoint, Idaho so a direct handoff isn't likely. I don't expect to be back on the island until late July next year, but might attend SSTIKS.

Let me know if I should investigate shipping cost. You could pay me after it arrives by sending a cheque.

3. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Hey drahcir,

I went and tried out the paddle you have here. While it seems like a bomber paddle, I think it is a bit heavy for my needs. I have mild arthritis in my thumbs and wrists which is a non-issue with good technique - yet a heavy paddle will aggravate this for sure.

On the other hand, I did have fun checking out a number of paddles, so thanks for starting the process.

4. paddler

paddler Paddler

Hey Sheila,

A wee bit of info to add to the selection think and process... Most folks getting a dedicated whitewater blade go really short on length. As in usually 186-200cm (10 years ago it was more 192-206 - ww boaters are also moving to shorter paddles) in 2cm increments. Wee bit different from the long boat world. I've found many long boaters prefer slightly longer WW paddles than the usual text book length, but you may want to think about going shorter than a 210. More vertical stroke and way faster transition one side to the other. An active blade in the water is pretty key in dynamic situations. It'll also fit between the rocks better :wink:

5. rider

rider Paddler

Most whitewater paddles are not light. Sheila I would highly recommend a Werner Sherpa for you if you want a good w/w paddle. You can custom order length and feather angle from Werner through the local dealer,(maybe you can also do it directly??). I have done so through Western Canoe a couple times and every time was quite happy with the results and service. Keep in mind that a typical whitewater blade is fairly large which means more work per stroke.
    You can also try one of the Accent whitewater paddles they sell at MEC(black plastic blades are what i'd go with) as they are fairly light and copious amount of blade flex would be easy on the joints, i assume. It also robs some power,but from what I heard they don't normally break.