Waterproof Camcorder Setup

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Peel, May 22, 2006.

1. Peel

Peel Paddler

Darren,

In another thread it was mentioned that you rigged a digital camcorder in a waterproof enclosure, mounted to the front of Dave's kayak. Do you have any pics/details of the setup? I'd be curious to see how it's rigged.

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camera is a Sony DCR-HC32 MiniDV mounted in a SPK-HCA Handycam
    Sports Pack. Good to 15'

I'm very happy with the setup, the whole thing comes off easy in case of an emergency. So far I have taken about 10 hours of kayaking footage! 8) 8O

3. Peel

Peel Paddler

sweet! 8)

That setup looks pretty skookum. Is that a ram-mount holding it to the deck?

Maybe you can submit some footage for This is the Sea 3 :D

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Darren, next time we're out and I'm in the Romany I can do some rolling footage for you (I know you wanted that from Elk Lake). I did some ocean rolling today with all sorts of crap all over the deck (GPS etc.) with no problems, so a camcorder shouldn't be too much more drag. :wink:

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Pete, yup its a Ram-mount. I can swap the camera for a gps, rod holder etc..

Mark, sounds good. What GPS was on deck? And how did it like being submerged?

6. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I had the GPSMap60 in the RAM mount, and it does fine completely submerged (as does the ICOM M1V marine VHF). I don't use the battery pack any more for the GPS - the connection to the GPS isn't watertight and it allows the anode connector pin on the GPS to corrode quite badly with every paddle. But the little waterproof rubber seals on the GPS are fine for rolling and splashing around in waves.

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

You're lucky... My Magellan went under for 10 seconds, and now the left side of the LCD is blank :cry:

8. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

There is a new version of the Sony housing out....awesome deal HERE. The only catch is that they'll only ship to the U.S. But for that price it's worth it. :p

9. Telkwa

Telkwa Paddler

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how do those big sturdy housings affect sound pickup?
    The primary use for us would not be underwater. Just want to protect the camcorder from the harsh marine environment.
    I'm trying to decide which makes more sense - if you buy one of these housings, you can then choose from lots of Sony camcorders. If you buy a dedicated "waterproof" camcorder, you've only got a few choices.
    If the sports pack housing ruins sound pickup that would be a big factor.

Also, Amazon appears to be gouging people for the SPK-HCB. The SPK-HCC is available for about $160 at B&H and others.

10. Telkwa

Telkwa Paddler

Argh - where's the "edit" button?
    There's an HCE version available too. I assume that's the most recent? Same price as HCC...

11. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

It has a half decent mic built into the housing.