waterproof camera housings

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Kermode, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Being new, apologies if I'm repeating info already out there. Reading latest PC world I came across an article on safeguarding Digital Cameras. Maybe of interest to some of you, with non-waterproof cameras. Aquapac make "Plastic bags" that are watertight, they are not merely for storage & you can reportedly take pics with the camera in the "bag" thro' the optical quality plastic. Waterproof to 15 feet & they will apparently float if dropped in the drink. Retailing at around $30 -$50 for average size digital cameras they may be worth checking out. I don't have first hand experience of these merely reporting on the article & quoting from the Aquapac website. There are also models suitable for phones/ vhf etc
    http://www.aquapac.net
    I noticed that NRS in the States carries them, Dan, do WCK keep these?

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I've used Aquapacs to protect my old-style nonsubmersible HH VHF's; they work pretty well, but eventually develop slow leaks at the seal. You have to check them regularly. Typically, I got a season or two of use before the leaks began. I would not recommend them for regular underwater use, although they protected my radios well for about 6-7 seasons, when I went with a submersible HH VHF.

3. Duncan2

Duncan2 Paddler

I got a dicapac, seen here
    [​IMG]

I used it with my Sony. I had to be careful to hold it just right or the hood would be visible in the photo.

I since bought an Olympus 770 sw