WCP 2013 Spring Camp Out

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Gecko Paddler, Dec 22, 2012.

?

Pick The Weekend

1. April 6 - 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. April 13 -14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. April 20 - 21

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. April 27 -28

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Works for me!

2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Done. We have a winner!

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Potluck? Saturday evening?

I'm bringing Maddie. Maddie will be bringing a big batch of her Mint Brownies.

4. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

So nice Maddie can join us again this year.
    I'm planning on sailing in (literally, I hope) on Friday afternoon. I'm going inflict my standard veggie-pasta dish on you all on Saturday. No whining. You only have to eat it once a year. And it's good for you.

5. Gecko Paddler

Gecko Paddler Paddler

We can do our scallops & bacon again if that works. Maybe angels on horseback might be a possibility too. Looks like we will be arriving on Friday afternoon and this year we are not bringing our condo. :lol:

6. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Mint brownies AND Maddie? I am SO in! (brownies aren't the same without the awesome person who make em).

I will make a barley salad if it looks warm, and make a stew or something if the weather looks chilly.

7. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Let's not spoil the surprise by posting the whole menu now. Pot Luck is supposed to be a mystery.

8. Dan_Millsip

Totally get that but we don't want everyone showing up with the same dish.

9. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Unless they are all desserts.

10. Shu

Shu Paddler

As it is my first time, have a couple of questions. Do you paddle out to Portland Island in a group, or is it man for him self to a meeting place. Where and when exactly do you leave as I am driving from penticton? I may come to the island a day or so before. I was to have a tyee but that may not work out. Is a delta 14.5 big enough for this trip? Any advice for the trip appreciated. Shu

11. Dan_Millsip

Here's the standard blurb about the Spring Campout:

YOU are responsible for YOU.

There is no leader on this camping trip.

How you get there is entirely up to you.

The gear you bring is entirely up to you.

This trip IS NOT recommended for novice paddlers -- if you are not or cannot be completely self-sufficient, this trip is probably not for you.

Having said the above, you'll likely meet up with others at the put-in on Friday or Saturday if you are coming across on BC Ferries as others will also be traveling that route from the mainland. If you like, you can ask here about schedules that others are planning -- I'm pretty sure there are a few attending from Kelowna and other parts of the Interior.

Most people from the mainland will leave their vehicle in Tsawwassen and take their boats on the ferry with a folding cart -- parking is very limited on the Island side. The put-in is a short distance (easily walked) from the ferry terminal.

Others have paddled Delta 14.5's for this weekend. It's only for one to three nights so if you're good at packing your boat, you should have no problem.

Saturday night is a potluck dinner -- bring a dish if you wish to participate.

12. Shu

Shu Paddler

Thanks for the tips Dan. Sounds like a fun trip. I would appreciate to tag along on the water with a group if they have room for one more. Wonder if a group could note their put in time and where one puts in. I like the idea of parking on the mainland ,I am good to go on Friday or Sat. Also where on Portland are we heading. thanks in advance. Look forward to meeting the group. I should not need to much babysitting, but always open to any tips the pros have. lol If any one else is going from the okanagan I have room for one more kayaks on the truck. Shu

13. bigbear

bigbear Paddler

Curious. Never been to Portland Island. Where is the the 'campout' to be.....?

"Gulf Islands National Park Reserve offers 24 marine-accessible backcountry campsites on Portland Island: 6 sites at Shell Beach, 12 sites at Princess Bay, and 6 sites at Arbutus Point. Facilities on Portland are limited to pit toilets; no campfires are permitted."

....which beach? Thanks for the info.....

14. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Arbutus Point is the place. Location:
    48deg 44.1' North
    123deg 21.9' West

Enough room for anyone that is willing to show up.

Attached Files:

15. bigbear

bigbear Paddler

That was very helpful, thanks for the info gregOrn. Next question. To leave from ferry terminal/Sydney......what is the best place to leave a vehicle and depart....?

I use to paddle years ago to Saltspring Island from a put in near Deep Cove...

What is the best place now.........thanks for any info...

16. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

17. bigbear

bigbear Paddler

Thanks! That gave me much useful information......

18. Dan_Millsip

19. Dan_Millsip

Although these things change day to day, so far, the weather forecast for next weekend is looking goooooooood... :big_thumb

Attached Files:

20. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

I'm so stoked to go. I'll be taking advantage of some of that weather on Wednesday and Thursday as well.