WCP spring campout 2010!!!!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Jan 16, 2010.

?

Where

1. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

[IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be advised that this event is organized and promoted by the members of this website. WestCoastPaddler.com only facilitates the discussion and in no way sponsors this event. Paddling conditions at this time of year can be nasty -- you are on your own and responsible for getting to this event, for being at the event, and for getting yourself home. To attend this event, you should be a self-sufficient paddler and be able to look after yourself while camping. This is not a novice trip. We hope that everyone will have a safe and fun time. Thank you -- the administrators of WestCoastPaddler.com ]

When and where?

2. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Deer group?
    Clayoquot?
    BGI?
    Greece? ;-)

3. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

They all sound good to me. So when and where ?????

4. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Blackberry Point?
    Long Beach?
    Deception pass?
    Mexico? :lol:

5. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

IIRC, BGI has limits on group size.
    i don't want to go to Greece. too hot for me. :cool
    the Deers and Claypquot are a bit too far to travel for the mainlanders, for just a weekend trip.

last years trip to South Pender was a great trip. we made a tour out of it, and had a great time, with good weather; if a bit chilly at night.
    we paddled out of Swartz Bay and spent one night on....um......an island. :D as soon as we landed a pod of Orcas went by. paddled to Beaumont the next day for the gathering for two days. then we paddled back towards the ferry but stopped for one night on another island. on our last night we had a great feast of oysters and red rock crabs. it was memorable.

i suggest we do it to Beaumont again.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Depending on timing, I'm in this year. I really missed out last year. I like Beaumont, but am not fussy.

Weekend of 24/25 April?

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Beaumont.... :roll:

You old guys don't like change do ya? :lol:

:wink: :wink:

8. sludge

sludge Paddler

If not Deer Group, why not Blackberry Point or Wallace Island?

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Beaumont is well-situated for the logistics of large groups ... which makes it a top candidate by my measure, but I'm good anywhere. Every location you guys are likely to select is about the same trudge for me! :wink:

Wallace is OK except that a put in capable of handling lots of parked vehicles would be where? Montague? No place on Saltspring I can think of.

Blackberry has the same issue, no?

The group site at Montague is not bad, if people want a different place. Unfortunately, it can be a drive-in site, also, and may not be open for business in April.

10. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

just you wait, sonny-boy! your time is coming. :p "old guys" indeed! :p

we have to grow old but we don't have to grow up. follow your fun..........

11. sludge

sludge Paddler

Dave, I am easy as well.

For Blackberry, Yellow Point is probably the shortest distance. For a longer, but very enjoyable traverse, there is a boat launch ramp and beach (with biffy) at Cedar. It is south of Nanaimo, below Dodd Narrows. There is room for quite a number of cars to park there. You go by DeCourcy, Pylades and Ruxton Islands over to Valdes.

For Wallace, one departure point (from the west side) is from Thetis Island, with ferry service there from Chemainus. Or you can paddle from Chemainus. Southey Point departure, from Saltspring Island, is probably the closest yet. Approaching rom the east, you can launch from Montague Harbour or further north on that island.

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I like those ideas for access, Sludge. They mandate folks ferrying from the mainland take a vehicle over, if that is an issue for them.

Is the Pirates Cove Prov. Park site worth considering? Very scenic, and quite nice. Should handle a larger group, maybe?

Not familiar with Cedar.

On Saltspring, Southey Point has very little space for parking, if I recall correctly. Where north of Montague are you thinking of for a launch site. Only location I know of is that little cove, and parking there is tight, also, I believe.

13. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

For Blackberry, yes the Cedar launch is probably the best I know of. And for the mainlanders its less than a 10 minute drive from Duke Pt, so possible to arrange pick-up from some Van-Islander.

Its a pretty easy, and pleasant, paddle to Blackberry from there.

If the weather is iffy, it gives you the chance to stay at Pirates Cove on Decorcy.

But, IMHO, Blackberry is MUCH nicer. Does not have that developed overused feel... Pirates ends up with lots of yachters walking through the site... (not that yachters are bad). Blackberry, as it has no anchorage = no boaters. There is a fantastic hike up to the top of the hill from Blackberry, and a wonderful old hermit, Crazy Pete, to chat up a storm with.

From blackberry, nice day trip is north along Valdez checking out cliffs, or south down to Dionisio. You can make it to Wallace from Blackberry in a day.

I probably wont be there... unless I happen to be leading some highschool students there at the same time (which is quite possible in April/may)

14. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Oh yeah, and I think Blackberry can handle more people in any case. Pirates, while great, since it has a water pump (the closest reliable water to Blackberry) and toilets, it however, has fairly limited camping pads... its pretty easy to fill them out, and if the contractor who maintains the place comes by, they tend to frown on people camping willy nilly.

Blackberry does have a composting pit toilet courtesy of the BC Marine Trails Association. (thanks)

15. rider

rider Paddler

I think last year's Beaumont on Pender was a good location. I like Wallace,but logistically it isn't the best.
    I think the criteria should be that the island people have a vehicle accessible launch spot with dependable parking, and mainlanders can cart-on and launch off the nearest ferry terminal.
    How about Sydney Spit? It has the capacity, it has the beach,it is accessible. And if early enough in the year, it's not going to be busy.

16. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

CAMPOUT!!!

OOOO I like this idea. Really fun day trips from there, easily accessible, currents for people to play in, and could even be an EASY day trip for people who don't want to camp. :D The folks south of the border could even come over on the Anacortes ferry and come right over! Last summer the ferry left Anacortes at 7:45 AM, and got to Sidney at 10:45 AM. The ferry starts running again on March 28.

The weekend of April 30 - May 2 is the Guides Exchange, please don't pick that one. May 15-16 is the Paddlefest at Ladysmith.

17. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

I'm taking my Level 3 (Paddle Canada) course April 21-25.

If the decision is to have the Spring Campout on another weekend, I will try to attend...and bring lots of great wine and port as a peace offering... :wink:

18. mikec

mikec Paddler

I vote for Deception Pass. Phenomenal camping, phenomenal kayaking in the surrounding area (not just in the pass).

bathroom, pay showers available, picnic tables and potable water from various pumps are all available and there is NO ONE there in the early season.

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Dan. I think we need a poll

20. waverider

waverider Paddler

DarrenM wrote:
    Beaumont....

You old guys don't like change do ya?

DarenN wrote : just you wait, sonny-boy! your time is coming.

Sooner then he realizes :lol:

Well I missed last year but I will not miss this year.

Beaumont works well, or anywhere else doesn't matter to me.

All I can think about is the Pot luck !!!