WCP spring campout 2010!!!!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Jan 16, 2010.

?

Where

1. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Im looking forward to Ken's wine!
    Might I suggest a 2006 Burrowing Owl Meritage Or if you're rich, a Chateau La Fleur Petrus Pomerol 1998 would be nice :)

2. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

3. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

lol...
    If I can make it...you won't be disappointed.
    I'll have a few fences to mend...
    :cool

4. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

This with SKILS Ken B???

5. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

Yup. :D

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

[IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be advised that this event is organized and promoted by the members of this website. WestCoastPaddler.com only facilitates the discussion and in no way sponsors this event. Paddling conditions at this time of year can be nasty -- you are on your own and responsible for getting to this event, for being at the event, and for getting yourself home. To attend this event, you should be a self-sufficient paddler and be able to look after yourself while camping. This is not a novice trip. We hope that everyone will have a safe and fun time. Thank you -- the administrators of WestCoastPaddler.com ]

everyone (myself, and one other that i know of) could not attend due to travel restrictions enacted by Homeland Security. passport issues.

7. nootka

nootka Paddler

I'm sure I read somewhere that there are some tidal races in BC. :wink:

8. andreas

andreas Paddler

My vote goes to Pender. That location did and would work for all of us. Easy to get there, enough campsites, nice beach, great for day trips. Overall the best place.

Just a thought on the side:
    Picking a more "advanced" location maybe a lot of fun for many of you, but don't forget that beginners or fair weather paddlers (like me :lol: ) will most likely not come. And I think we all want to attract new people to our group, right? As for a location in the US. I think it's a great idea! But not if I have to deal with pesky customs... Therefore, for now it's a no go zone for me.

9. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

The really nice thing about Deception Pass State Park is it has great paddling for all skill levels and just a ton of other activities for non paddling family and friends.
    Now as far as the border issues I won't disagree that it can be a hassle that goes both way's. ( I snuck into Canada for 35 years, what a relief to get that cleared up a year ago) Only a story I'll tell sitting around a campfire on US soil :lol:

Dave R

10. andreas

andreas Paddler

"Can be a hassle to cross the border"?

You bet it is! As a non canadian citizen (I'm just a permanent resident) I will have to leave finger prints and will need a visa. That shouldn't be the problem to get through that. BUT, if they have a bad day and find something against me, they will not just send me back to Canada. No. They will send you back to your homeland! Germany....
    I know a couple of people that had this happening to them!

Anyhow, I'm sure Deception pass State Park would be a lovely place to visit. The states is a no go zone for me...

11. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Spring Campout

Darcy Island can accomodate a number of tents, has a nice biffy and there are a number of easy day trips from there to a variety of islands including Sidney Spit. There is also a nice hike around the island and a lot of interesting history . It can be accessed from Island View Beach or Sidney with a few hours of paddling. Parking is available at Island View Beach at the campground for $5.00/night I believe.

12. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hey...good to see you Mark! How's wedded life?

I have the perfect recipe for the potluck - somehow I will bring Halibut and Smoked Salmon Chowder!! It is the best chowder I've ever had! Perfect for a snowy campout!

;)
    Kathy

13. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

I can't wait!

It will definitely be a good one this year!

Please not the weekend of April 30th, that is the school Disneyland trip!

14. Gary Jacek

Gary Jacek Paddler

When will the dates be locked in?

15. rider

rider Paddler

How about 3rd weekend of March?(20th-21st) Start the season off early-ish and it doesn't seem to interfere with anyone's schedule,plus early means less chance of busy campsites.

16. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Rider, you missed the snowspectacle of 2008. March? I'm game, but I have a healthy layer of native insulation ... channeling a walrus, I think. :lol:

Yeah, let's set a date and get on with it.

The Silva Bay Shipyard School has a launch celebration on April 17/18, so I'm hoping to spend a week in the Gulf Islands, hooking that up with a cruise in the Bartender and two-three nights kayak camping wherever we do this. 24/25 is my preference, FWIW.

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Well we haven't heard a word from the fine folks who run this site... so who knows if they even wanna do a camp out this year?

18. andreas

andreas Paddler

Give them time dude! They are getting older and may need a bit more time LOL
    In any case, I'm flexible about the day/month/time....

19. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i like the end-ish of April. i'm channelling an aging Tin Smith who doesn't like the cold! :wink:

20. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

I won't be around April 12 - 21, but any time before or after that works fine for me.. Blackberry, Pender, Sidney Spit or Darcy work for me. FWIW, That the snow storm camp out was april 18-20, 2008 :) I think it's going to be a bit cold no matter when we go.

-Rich