WCP spring campout 2010!!!!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Jan 16, 2010.

?

Where

1. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Yeah, but it looks like Beaumont is ahead by one vote. :lol:

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the forum! A bunch a very great people here, you will like it :D

Now all you have to do, is to come out to Pender Isl. and introduce yourself :wink:

3. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Okay.....well........geeeeeezzzz, here I booked my days off and now we're going to Beaumont ! I refuse to go to Beaumont......I wanta go to BEAUMONT !!!!!.......so I'll see you at Beaumont.....if anyone else is going to Beaumont. See you there !!!!

4. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Weekend of April 17th at Beaumont works for me (and possibily my paddling buddy Mike). I've been scheming and seaming over the winter so I may have a couple of new home-brew kayak accesories to show off if it all comes together.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again. These get-togethers are a great way to launch the summer paddling season.

5. DocXander

DocXander Paddler

Thanks, looking forward to meeting some new people. I have already discovered another person besides you I know on here, so it's looking good already!!

DocXander

6. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

and a great way to launch the 2010 gear expansion? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Tragically, the thing most expanded from 2009 is my waist-line. On the bright side, at some point I'll be saving a lot of money on sprayskirts - cos I won't need one to seal the cockpit...

8. DocXander

DocXander Paddler

So... when is this taking place??

DocXander

9. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

Yes, and there's certainly some ambiguity on where it is be located, as well.

:D :D :D

10. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

It's the weekend of April 17-18.

11. DocXander

DocXander Paddler

Thank you.

DocXander

12. DocXander

DocXander Paddler

I am a novice paddler... I have my Paddle Canada Flatwater Certification, but that's it so far. Does this message mean I should not be attending this event??

13. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

That just means that you are responsible for yourself. It's up to you to determine if your abilities are up to task.

14. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I agree with Andy_ferguson about being responsible for your self. That said, the difference between paddling over from Sydney and paddling from Browning Marina on Pender is incredibly significant.

Finding paddling buddies can be an option too. The first times I went to this kind of event I found some friends to go with to increase my safety too. I spent many years paddling with people with skills better than my own. Besides car pooling may help decrease ferry costs as well.

The Paddle Canada Flatwater certification (now called intro to kayaking) states that "successful completion of the this course indicates competence to paddle a sea kayak along an enclosed and sheltered shore in the company of a more skilled partner." http://www.paddlingcanada.com/programs.asp?id=64

Personally I would love to see people who are newer come along if the conditions are right. :D :D I would offer to 'buddy up' but this time I am planning to paddle from Sydney - weather & sea state permitting. :wink:

15. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

DocXander;
    post your proposed itineray and see if anyone is doing the same.
    if you are less than comfortable with paddling alone, buddie up.

there have been a few times that i have said to myself, "you aren't going to make it this time bucko", when i've been out alone. twice last summer, in fact. but here i sit, with the sun shining in my front window, planning my next solo outing.

don't do anything stupid, but don't get caught up in what classes you have or don't have. judge your own skills. i've never taken a kayaking class in my life and i'm still alive. maybe i'm just lucky, although i highly doubt it.

as i said; i got caught out in conditions twice last summer. once from poor planning (and i'm willing to admit it), and once just because of the weather. but when i saw those Humpies off in the far distance playing in the waves; lets just say that that was all the motivation i needed to keep the topsides on top. 30 knot winds and 6 foot breakers be damned! i was going to meet up with those whales!! :wink: i made it just fine, but the whales had moved on by the time i got there. it's ok though because i paddled with the big fellas every day on that trip. :D

16. DocXander

DocXander Paddler

Thanks for all the replies. I am quite comfortable with solo paddling, as I am solo more often than not. Now that said, most of my paddling has also been in sheltered waters like The Gorge, Portage Inlet and local lakes. I have spent lots of time in and around the waters among the islands from property some of my family has on Piers Island. However, not by kayak.

I have not yet planned my exact itinerary, but I think I will be taking the ferry to Pender and then paddling from there.

DocXander

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

I'm not in the shape or have the time to paddle all the way from Sydney/Swartz Bay. Therefore I will be taking the ferry also. When you get to Pender, you set up your camp, have some nice conversations and there are always some people there that will take you along for a paddle around the Island.

18. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Doc,

Tell us where you plan to launch from, and when, to get to Beaumont. Port Browning or the special beach Andreas favors (on N. Pender) are good places to start if you are concerned about your skill level. Once you get to Beaumont, we can shake and bake things and gdt you sorted out. This is not an exclusive group ... they let me go a couple years ago!

A circumnavigation of S. Pender, conditions permitting, should be OK for you, in the company of more skilled paddlers.

Like many others, I am also self-taught, and it can be more tedious than the formal training route, but the lessons learned tend to stick very well. :wink:

19. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

Doc if I get my Borealis done in time I will paddle with you. I too am a novice. I have no certifications, but I am certifiable!! :D

20. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Paddler

Just a heads up for anybody thinking of walking across on the ferry with their kayak; there's no launch possibility at the Otter Bay ferry terminal. The nearest launch opportunity to the ferry terminal is Otter Bay Marina which has a $5 launch fee (if I recall). It's a bit of a portage with a steep up hill, probably about 500m total. Very doable with a wheelie cart though.