WCP spring campout 2010!!!!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Jan 16, 2010.

?

Where

1. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

[IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be advised that this event is organized and promoted by the members of this website. WestCoastPaddler.com only facilitates the discussion and in no way sponsors this event. Paddling conditions at this time of year can be nasty -- you are on your own and responsible for getting to this event, for being at the event, and for getting yourself home. To attend this event, you should be a self-sufficient paddler and be able to look after yourself while camping. This is not a novice trip. We hope that everyone will have a safe and fun time. Thank you -- the administrators of WestCoastPaddler.com ]

If anyone wants to paddle with us, my son and I will be going over to Pender by ferry on the Friday afternoon (2:00), and launching from Browning Marina.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Just a heads up that getting out of the Swartz Bay ferry terminal with a kayak in tow (ie if you're walking) might be difficult, particularly after the late evening sailings. I'm looking into this now - I almost got 'stuck' in the ferry terminal last night after the last sailing had left Swartz Bay, and if I'd had a kayak with me there would not have been any way out of the terminal that didn't involve getting the kayak over a 4-foot high concrete and steel fence. Emails to BC ferries are on their way this morning; I'll follow up with any replies I get.

3. waverider

waverider Paddler

Not sure what you mean there Mark, as I was there Saturday with my kayak and we had no *problem leaving the terminal, *the only "problem" we had was the extra bit of walking that they have you do now to reach the bike/kayak exit that is now located up next to the ticket booth on the left hand side.
    I do have pictures that I will upload later today.

Now if you want a problem try taking out at Otter Bay terminal! :lol:

It is possible but it involves pulling out in the marina (5 min. paddle) and walking up a fairly steep hill then along the road (10 - 15 min walk)
    Be warned though as there is a $5 launch fee , but the guy was nice enough to not charge us as we explained our problem.

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Right, in normal times that would be the way to go. It's a longer walk than used to be required, but so be it.

When I walk on the ferries to get to Vancouver I usually park near the Gov't Dock for the small amount of free parking. I have to leave more time to walk back up to the ticket booths to get a ticket but that's life. The problem arises after the last ferry leaves at 9pm. I got the 8pm out of Tsawwassen which put me back at Swartz Bay around 9:45pm, so the ferry lot was empty and most employees had gone home. Wanting to get back to my car at the Gov't dock, I walked off the car deck and headed to the fence at the east side. The gate is now locked, and the 'motion sensing' exit gates never seem to be activated (even by a car I think). So, the only way out is at the ticket booths - except that those are all locked shut after the 9pm sailing leaves, so I couldn't get out that way! I ended up hopping a 4 foot fence into the path of cars unloading from the ferry, getting around the corner to jump the same fence again to the front of the ticket booths, and back down to my car. With a kayak, this would not have been possible. I would have had to wait for all the cars to unload from the ferry, unload the kayak, lift it over the 4 foot fence, get around the corner, lift it over the fence again in front of the toll booths, reload the kayak, and wheel back to the Gov't Dock or where-ever I was headed. The only alternative would be to walk about 10km to the Wain Road overpass, following the route of vehicle traffic, back north again towards the ferries. Not really likely.

It seems BC Ferries has not made the new security features kayak-friendly, especially if you're walking off one of the later ferries of the day.

5. rider

rider Paddler

I remember one time buying a kayak from somebody up at the passenger pickup lot and walking way up and out and around and ending up going through the vehicle toll booth. I also remember one time buying a (different) kayak from the same person,same place, but this time going a much shorter route(as permitted by the BC Ferries staff), down the ramp to the lower level and left into the lineup. A kind of a pain in the arse, but if you're stuck for options there may be a way out through the passenger pickup?

6. waverider

waverider Paddler

Ah that would be a problem then, arriving and having no staff around and having everything locked up. typical

Well here are the photos I promised

A staff member told us this was the new exit, but it is not as you need a code to unlock the door
    [​IMG]

here is the path that you are looking for, located just to the left of the ticket booths. I can see what Kasey was talking about as they had once had two barriers installed here.
    [​IMG]

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

For those who encounter a locked blue gate during the day -- I went to the office at the south end (closest to the gate) of the same building as the snack bar and a fellow opened the gate remotely for me.

Hopefully, there's an easy solution to after hours situations.

8. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Yes, as Dan found, and I have found 99% of the time - the BC Ferries employees do try. If there is ever a problem, just ask someone...and if you don't like their answer, just ask a different person. :wink:

In September when Candi and I went through from Swartz ferry to the gov't dock, they actually had the gates open into and out of the semi-trailer yard which saved us many footsteps up the hill to the ticketbooths. AND one employee there actually had the second half of the above bike barrier in the back of his pickup having just removed it! They are trying - they just don't know our needs unless we tell them - so good on ya Mark for letting them know....

Weather permitting, our plan is Friday 7am ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz, 9am (hopefully) from Swartz to Saturna and paddle across to Pender arriving at probably 1pm. If anyone wants to join us too they are welcome! We will bring our wheels with us just in case we find a different route home.... :wink:
    Kathy

9. waverider

waverider Paddler

Oh by the way as of January 4 the parking rates went up !!

6 hours is $10
    24 hours is $14

10. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Oh that's right Mark. I noticed that last weekend. Do you know what the rates are at that First Nations run lot that is out across from the gas station? We might have to start checking in there instead...
    Kathy

11. mikec

mikec Paddler

LOL

none that are as close to Vancouver and as easily accessible sans-ferry!

I live in White Rock and DP is exactly a 45 minute drive, which is less time than it takes me to drive to work downtown in rush hour!

If i had the dosh or ever came into some money though you can bet your bottom dollar i'd get myself some property on Quadra!

12. Dan_Millsip

I read in this mornings Sun newspaper that fares for the ferries are going up on April 1.

13. blondie

blondie Paddler

I know that the rate there went up recently too- it used to $8/24 hours, and I think it might have gone up to as much as $10/24 hours. Still better than the ferry parking, but a huge jump all the same! They run a shutlle bus to and from the ferry, so I guess you'd need to drop off the kayaks first and then shuttle back.

14. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Oh...forgot about the boats! I can see trying to do that when you are late for a ferry! :wink: Probably not worth the hassle to save $4 per day. They get us coming and going don't they....LOL
    Thanks Blondie!
    Kathy

15. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Getting close to Spring Campout time.........I CAN'T WAIT.......how about you ????

16. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

No response......you guys down there are just so spoiled. I wish I could paddle the ocean everyday like you......but the time I get there I WILL enjoy. See you all at Pender Island. Yipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee..........okay maybe Im a little insane, but we Okanagan girls lean a bit that way....... :D

17. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Yup - don't worry - I'm half packed and ready to go! Guess we're just going to be the first ones there and get the best spots!!!! Those coastal people are just slackers - we'll leave em in the spray behind us! :lol:

18. andreas

andreas Paddler

I wont be able to make it this year....

I'm starting a new job and wont be able to get time off to make it on time.

Have fun guys!

19. Dan_Millsip

Have fun mountain biking Andreas.

Kelowna gals... I too am quite looking forward to this trip.

So who all is coming?

20. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I'm in!