WCP spring campout 2010!!!!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Jan 16, 2010.

?

Where

1. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beaumont

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rider

rider Paddler

To this day the midnight paddle from Swartz Bay to Portland, for last get-together is my most memorable of all times.
    Now,if I remember correctly, at Flood, the Active Pass and Boat Pass flow out East,yes? Away from Vancouver island and into Georgia Straight,right? Sounds counter-intuitive since that means Ebb tide would actually flood Winter Harbor,but i think that's how I remember them running.
    By the way, Mark,or anyone with local knowledge....Ages ago I remember going through the pass by Maine isl, and at the end of it, where you pass between Maine and Georgeson islet, is there a small standing wave that forms there ?

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Rider, you are correct - all of the main channels between the southern islands and the straight flood into the straight, either east or north or any combination of the two. Ie the direction of the water movement is from the south/west to the north/east - same as the Juan de Fuca, which is where the water is coming from.

I don't recall any standing wave at Georgeson but there can be many influencing factors - water depth at any particular current speed, existing wind-wave action, etc. I've seen some big stuff forming on the east side of Boat Passage as well, as the current opposes wind waves in the strait, but it seems to be quite rare.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Those tide rips are not uncommon off some of the other passes, in my limited experience. East of Gabriola there can be a helacious one on a flood, when the current exiting Gabriola encounters stiff southerly breezes, and sometimes northerly, as the windwaves pile up against the eddy fence at the edge of the main thrust of the current.

Separate issue for Rider's observation: Sounds counter-intuitive since that means Ebb tide would actually flood Winter Harbor, but i think that's how I remember them running.

Yeah, that stuff always boggles me, too. One way to think of that ebb "filling" Winter Harbour condition is to remember that the water is also exiting that area and continuing westerly -- as the overall tidal gradient is downhill to the SW. I bet the water level is falling in WH, even though water is "filling" it via Boat Passage -- because water flowing out of WH to the west is "emptying" it, but at a greater rate.

Sometimes I have to think of these things in simplistic terms, as they might resemble an unplugged wash basin filling or emptying, depending on which is greater: the rate of water flowing from the tap into the basin -versus- the rate of the water flowing out the drain. Sometimes makes my brain hurt! :lol:

4. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Does anyone have a strong opinion on whether or not to make a reservation for the Pender Island ferry? I was planning on catching the 10 am from Tsawassen, and was not sure if it would be worth reserving in advance. Anyone have any informed guesses on how busy it's likely to be on Friday morning?

Thanx.

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

My, my, my - the weather is looking stellar for this weekend!! :clap:

6. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

I'm new to WCP, but I recognize a few people on the forums from SISKA. I'd like to join in the festivities and am looking to paddle over Friday from Sydney (Swartz Bay) or take the ferry over to Saturna and paddle to Beaumont from there. I plan on returning Sunday.

I would really like to join up with somebody planning one of these 2 routes.

Thanks,
    Scott

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

2 more sleeps!

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Scott, we'll be hopping aboard the Friday morning ferry from Swartz Bay to Saturna and paddling from Saturna to Beaumont - you're certainly welcome to join us.

9. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Don't think I can make it, can barely move my mouse, let alone paddle. Strange place for pain, inner elbow and forearm. May try accupuncture...been icing it every day.

Doug L

10. Jill

Jill Paddler

We are coming this time!!! 7:00 am Friday ferry to Swartz Bay. Then catching the ferry to Saturna. Just have to get my butt out of bed at 4:15 am.

11. waverider

waverider Paddler

Doug wrote : Don't think I can make it, can barely move my mouse, let alone paddle. Strange place for pain, inner elbow and forearm. May try accupuncture...been icing it every day.

Doug I strongly suggest going to a massage therapist first, sounds something like I had a year ago, but mine was in both arms. Within 3 visits it was gone and has never come back. All the pulling and yanking he did was well worth it.

12. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Thanks waverider, good advice. Actually, the Acupuncturist my wife uses is also a M. Therapist, so utilizes both modalities (she has severe hip joint pain from all the walking she does to battle her cancer). Yvonne swears by him. I hate spending the money on myself. I may come to the campout and do what paddlers do best, just paddle through the pain...

Doug L

13. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

Doug, if you can handle the pain, it would be great to see you again. Hope you can make it.

14. waverider

waverider Paddler

Doug, I hope you can make it. P.S I use too load up on the Ibuprofen when I truly wanted/ needed to. (not that I am recommending doing this or anything)

15. Maddie

Maddie Paddler

1 MORE DAY!

16. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

:( :( :( Speaking of pain...

I am not going to make this one. I figured my arm would hold out in a double while we paddled from Browning, but I am still not sleeping at night. My shoulder is miserable and really hurts if I hold it funny, which I do when I sleep. I can't imagine sleeping in a hammock or even on my wonderful symmat. :( :( :( I kept hoping that I would be in a better state by now. Sorry gang. TAKE PICTURES please! :clap:

17. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Maddie, I have been instructed to inform you that, despite the last few people saying they won't be able to attend, you should NOT scale-down your recipe when you make your famous mint brownies! "My people" inform me that there is no chance of left-overs regardless of how many you may bring. And, if there are left-overs, we will bring a Pungo kayak which has lots of Zip-lock baggies instead of bulkheads, so we will be prepared for left-overs. :lol:

18. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

I would love to go, but I have ZERO experience and not going to endanger any of you, just yet. If we have a fall camp-out and I feel confident about my skills I will definitely be coming to meet you all! For this spring and summer I am going to stay on the lakes and protected harbours till I feel I am ready for some challenges.

Have a fun weekend all!!!

I am going for my first paddle on Saturday on the Gorge!!!
    I'll bring my snorkel just in case I spring a leak! :mrgreen:

19. reanne

reanne Paddler

I wish I could come for the weekend but I am just not ready for it either, being a newer paddler. Have an amazing time! :)

20. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

I'll be taking my van from Swartz to Pender first ferry Saturday morning, as I work Friday night. I have room for two more kayaks. I can meet or wait for folks at either terrminal and transport to Port Browning or get you closer if you are a newbie. So, PM me if interested. Heading back Sunday sometime. Not sure what time the first ferry sails Saturday morning, but that's the one I'm aiming for I would think. Hopefully I can lift my kayak on the roof racks. :lol:

Doug L