WCP Spring Get Together 2007 - PHOTOS AND STORIES

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I went out to join the crew at Arbutus point for the day - a fantastic day and everyone seemed to be having a great time!
    I have posted my log for the day with photos at
    http://www.islandnet.com/~mjackson/pblog/

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

well, i'm back.
    there is not much to say..... IT WAS GREAT!!!!
    the potluck was amazing! 8O the weather was almost perfect :D , the flies were nasty (it seams like they fell in love with my eyes and nostrils) :evil: and the most important point : we all got along really well and had a great time together--thank you everyone :D

pictures will follow........

3. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I'm home, I'm tired, will post some pics after I catch the rat... :cry:

What a great time!

4. andreas

andreas Paddler

ok, there we go:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the end.......

5. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Thanks to Dan et al for a fantastic weekend! We had great weather (good work on that, Dan), great company, and great food.

[​IMG]

Randy paddles the Chilco to Fulford Harbour

[​IMG]

Sushi uses her new prize: a carbon fibre paddle!

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill upload more later. :D

7. waverider

waverider Paddler

hey all I am back in the valley, now facing the great challange of unpacking.
    Just want to say this weekend was fantastic from the night paddle (thanks again Mick for being the guide!) in all the way through. Fantastic food (applause to all, well done and a eye opener to myself for camp cooking I might add.) and Andreas wrote (and the most important point : we all got along really well and had a great time together--thank you everyone!) that is a very good point, I enjoyed meeting you all, A very very big sorry for not say a proper goodbye to some ( I really didn't expect to make the 5 o'clock ferry with robert and ian) please forgive me!! I really needed to get home to set up for work tomorrow
    :oops:
    And I tell you now next year I can see Sushi giving rolling lesson instead of recieving them way to go Sushi!!

Cheers for now XL Mark

8. Robert_Meier

Robert_Meier Paddler

As above. An amazing weekend!!! Thanks to everyone that came, it was very enjoyable.

I wasn't expecting to make the 5pm ferry but thought I'd give a go any way. Suprisingly I made it on, with IanC and Waverider following. Sorry I did not get to say goodbye to everyone at the dock.

Some of my pics (taken with my phone camera as I could not fit my regular one in. I need hatches. :D ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. IanC

IanC Paddler

Add my thanks to the WCP guys for making this happen. Big thanks to all the camp chefs for the fine dining, too. So Robert, XL Mark and I went to catch the 5:00 sailing and made it with a couple minutes to spare (much to our surprise). I regret not taking an extra minute or two for proper goodbyes...sorry! Special thanks to Kathy, Candi and Sushi, who made the long trip to join us locals...hope to see you paddling around here again. Also nice to see Maddie, Rachel, Amy ("WCP - The Next Generation") having a blast around camp and doing great out on the water - way to go!

10. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Some more pics :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

As Candi says, we got home at 1:30 a.m. safe and sound! I am sun/wind burnt, lips dry and swollen, dehydrated I'm sure, overtired, car is full and gear all needs washing....and it was sooo worth it!! It was a wonderful place to spend the weekend what with the sunshine, great paddling, seals and other wildlife - everybody buy lots of lottery tickets and we can all retire on an island like that!! But even better than that was the company - I totally enjoyed meeting each of you - you're each such unique and super people! You guys made us feel so welcome and at home...I feel like I've known some of you for years! Any time any of you guys can make it out here we'd love to have you for a visit....and bring your boats! As Xtall Mark said, I'm sorry we missed saying good-bye to some people but I'm going to miss you all and hope to see you guys lots more! This is my favorite photo I got and will put up more later!
    Thanks to all the WestCoastPaddlers for everything!!
    Kathy
    [​IMG]

12. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Thanks to the WCP dudes for organizing this great event (and the stickers!)
    Thanks to Helen and Chris for packing out our trash!
    Thanks to all of you for the fun time!
    Thanks to Sushi for the yummy breakfast soup!
    Thanks to whoever left that roll of TP in the outhouse!

FUN weekend! 8)

13. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

It was great to meet you all and share some stories - thanks to everyone for coming out. Next year I'll spend more time out there and get some more paddling in - I promise! Who would have thought that a weekend with so many people in such a confined space could have gone so smoothly! You're a great bunch of people - thanks for coming!

And another big thanks to Helen, Chris and Amy for having me aboard Jolie (the sailboat) - I wouldn't have made it otherwise!

Sunday morning I went around and tried to distribute a 12" WestCoastPaddler.com weatherproof and UV resistant vinyl decal to everyone who made it over. I apologise if I missed anyone, but if I did please send me an e-mail or PM and I'll see to it that you get one. I have some here in Victoria, and I'll mail a small pile to Dan so we have some on each side of the 'pond' for anyone to pick up. These decals can be stuck on boats, cars or anything you like without worry of fading or peeling (but they will come off cleanly if you want them to!).

14. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

I'll just add my 2 cents and echo what everyone else said. A big thanks to everyone that was able to make it over to Portland, even if it was just for the day. Good food, good company, great paddling and fabulous weather (on Sat. & Sun>) made for one of the more memorable trips I've been on.

A special thanks to Helen & Chris for turning their dinghy into a garbage scow and saving us all some valuable space in our 'yaks for the return trip, the folks at MSR for lending us the group canopy and a few stoves for people to use and to the folks at Western Canoe and Kayaking for lending us a half dozen carbon fibre paddles for everyone to try out.

To those that asked, I'll post the recipe for my pasta sauce sometime in the next couple of days.

15. Robert_Meier

Robert_Meier Paddler

Rjoutnorth, how about the monkeybuns recipe? :D

16. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

8O 8O 8O You paddled only 6miles in 4 days 8O 8O I will give you boot camp next time!!

Thank you so much everybody. That was the most exiting vacation I ever got, really!! I enjoyed every minute of this weekend.
    What is better than paddle, eat, paddle, drink, paddle, eat more, swinging in the hammock, getting wet, paddle more, and meeting fantastic people, and getting brand new carbon paddle ?? :D :D :D
    I will be sleeping with that paddle tonight.

Please come visit us in Seattle some time. I can't wait to see you all again.

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

@sushiy:
    i have a few pictures of you, PM me your email adress and i will send them to you.

i'm glad everyone made it home safe!
    btw: how was the shute passage crossing on sunday afternoon? i went trough at 9.30am and it was dead calm (the first time for me :D ). 1 hour later, on the way back home the wind picked up quite a bit-- i'm just wondering how it was........

@darren:
    are you putting a little video clip together and put it on you tube?

@dan:
    we watched this is the sea 3 yesterday evening...... 8O :lol: THANKS AGAIN!!! what a great price!

18. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Yup. I won't be able to work on it for a few days though...

19. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Dan, Steve, Mick, Andy, Mark, Robert, thank you soooo much for the great weekend :D
    I don't know what to say, just can't explain how much I appriciate this.
    You made my life so much more interesting.

And the paddle... everytime I went to shops, I was thinking I will get this light paddle for myself for the next Christmas.

Helen, thank you for your help for the meat and the trash.
    Randy, I am glad to learn how to practice the roll.
    Phil, I can't wait to learn sailing kayak.
    Chris, thank you for letting me stay at your place!
    Darren, Andrea, and Jonathan, thank you for everything, love you guys!!

See you next time!!

20. waverider

waverider Paddler

andreas wrote:

@darren:
    are you putting a little video clip together and put it on you tube?

Darren responded: Yup. I won't be able to work on it for a few days though...

In the mean time I came across Darrens' past video's on youtube ( very good I must say, wicked music Darren ) so if you wanna watch those until the new one comes out search for Dagg1969
    (my favorite was the Mark show)