WCP Spring Get Together 2007 - PHOTOS AND STORIES

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yeah, that was an experience all it's own! I had no idea that many seagulls would fit in a little dinghy! :lol: (j/k)

2. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

More Portland photos....
    [​IMG]
    Saturday morning view from my tent...5 a.m.!

[​IMG]
    Sushiy's Saturday morning paddle

[​IMG]
    View of camp from the point

[​IMG]
    Mike at lunch stop on round the island paddle

[​IMG]
    Lunch stop Candi, Mike, Steve, Mick

[​IMG]
    Mike rounding the point and taking on a BC ferry!

[​IMG]
    Comings and goings....

[​IMG]
    More comings and goings....

[​IMG]
    Comings and goings finished?

[​IMG]
    Andreas sampling, Chris hoping for some, Johnathon sampling and Sushiy hard at work in the kitchen

[​IMG]
    Chris

[​IMG]
    This sea lion was giving Andreas the eye!

[​IMG]
    Michael getting a closer look at all the seals that serenaded us at daybreak each morning

[​IMG]
    Happy yakker?

[​IMG]
    Sad sight of our empty Arbutus Point campground from the ferry as we head home...

3. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Great pictures!

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Superb photos, Kasey ... you guys are really cranking this old guy!

I had not realized how close Portland Island is to the Sidney ferry terminal. Definitely envious of the good time you all had. It is plain that Sushi has become the official WCP "mascot," and deservedly so!

I went paddling for the first time in almost a year, Sunday, and things are looking good for day paddles for me. Hope to get up to Vancouver Island this summer, in the power boat, at least. I expect many of you can relate to how much I miss paddling; most years over the last decade and a half, I have logged 50-80 days of paddling; to get even one day this season was unbelievably rewarding.

The photos and descriptions of your adventures thi last weekend are very inspiring. Thanks to all of you for sharing them.

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Awesome shots Kasey! You've got a great eye.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

btw: I've sent you a PM.

And thanks to everyone who attended. There's so much that I could go on about but I'll just say it was a terrific time meeting each of you and it's definitely one of my most memorable and enjoyable trips.

6. Dan_Millsip

Here's a couple of pictures:

A very happy Sushi is presented with a brand new Werner paddle compliments of WestCoastPaddler and Western Canoeing & Kayaking:
    [​IMG]

Andreas was quite pleased to receive a copy of This is the Sea 3:
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get the rest of my images uploaded tonight.

7. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

hey astoriadave, we really missed you - get a pedal yak or a suspended paddleyak for the one hand, and get out here as soon as possible - we'll keep something warm on the stove for ya!

and kasey, absolutely beautiful shots outa that little camera - i saw you setting up for that last one from the ferry and am amazed how wonderful it came out.
    i was up until 2 1/2 hrs before your 5 a.m. morning shot and can relate to the serenity of that shot - thanks.

and everyone else - this event actually worked! A nice, interesting, relaxed, self assured group of people who are at ease helping out as well as doing things themselves.

and sushiy - you're great! and andreas - you're absolutely a winner!

8. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

What? You doubted my ability? :? :lol:

9. Dan_Millsip

OK, I've finally sorted through my photos and here's what I've got (sorry about there being so many). I'll add captions later [Edit: captions added]:

Heading out from Swartz Bay. The blue gangway to the government dock is visible in the background:
    [​IMG]

Kasey paddling past the marker at Celia Reefs in Shute Passage:
    [​IMG]

My daughter paddling the Coho across Shute Passage:
    [​IMG]

The greeting party (DarrenM, Sushiy, John, and Andreas) at Portland Island:
    [​IMG]

Out of the boats at Arbutus Point -- the kids took off immediately in search of tidal pool creatures. The white "sand" is actually a midden, left by First Nations people. Middens can be found all along the coast of BC -- they were places where native fishers would congregate and shuck oysters, clams, and other shellfish. Middens were a good idea as they kept "shell pollution" localized to a few select areas rather than spread out along every beach. After a few hundred years (maybe thousands?), the middens became beaches. Middens can often be found near locations that also provided good camping, as is the case with Arbutus Point:
    [​IMG]

Enjoying conversation under the big tarp tent. We had a very good time discussing the stoves that MSR had loaned us for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning and Sushiy is on the water practicing wet exits and re-entries -- she was able to get into her boat without the aid of a paddle float!:
    [​IMG]

Gathering in the morning for Mick to present Sushiy with a Werner foam core carbon paddle, and a "This is the Sea 3" DVD to Andreas (who were unaware they were going to receive these items):
    [​IMG]

MSR loaned us their Pavilion tarp for the weekend. On Friday evening we were shielded from the wind and on Saturday and Sunday the tarp provided shelter from the sun and wind. Definitely a cool and versatile piece of gear for any group:
    [​IMG]

Sludge arrives on Saturday in his Clipper Sea-1. Is it a kayak? A canoe? Doesn't matter, it's a cool boat that carries a whole lot of gear:
    [​IMG]

Just yakin':
    [​IMG]

The campground from the point:
    [​IMG]

Lifting boats. Putting boats down. Lifting boats... we did a lot of carrying boats from the water to higher ground and then into the campsite at the end of the day -- but there were always willing and able helpers anytime someone wanted to go paddling:
    [​IMG]

WetElvis and his lady friend arrive on Saturday for a visit:
    [​IMG]

Vikings! Well not quite, Kayakwriter and Mike Jackson paddled upwind so that they could sail back to the campground. The double sails got them going at a pretty good speed -- but more wind would have made for a better ride:
    [​IMG]

The MEC Mantis Tarp. Kayakwriter brought this unique shelter -- it's a very spacious floorless tarp that adjusts to give protection against wind and rain. Very cool:
    [​IMG]

Hammock Central. In the middle of the campground, all the tree hangers could be found -- with the exception of the lone tree hanger who was suspended further along beach on the south side of the campground:
    [​IMG]

Another view of the MSR Pavilion Tarp. Either or both ends of the tarp can be opened. If wind is not a consideration, the entire tent can be set up higher by elevating the two poles (on a picnic table for instance), allowing more headroom, and more occupancy. There are several configurations that can be utilized by tying sides and ends open:
    [​IMG]

Wooden kayaks. In all, eight wooden kayaks were present over the weekend:
    [​IMG]

The view towards Arbutus Point from the southwest most location of the campground:
    [​IMG]

rjoutnorth gives Sushiy a rolling lesson in the bay southwest of the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Waverider watching Sushiy's lesson from the water:
    [​IMG]

Sanderlings(?) on the rocks:
    [​IMG]

Looking at boats on the beach. It's a fact that anyone who builds kayaks is always willing to talk about building boats:
    [​IMG]

The kids built an inukshuk. Apparently, the strategic placement of the shells indicated that this was a female inukshuk. The inukshuk became a focal point of many good natured discussions over the weekend:
    [​IMG]

Mark doing some high bracing before a bit of rolling practice:
    [​IMG]

Sushi preparing a special Korean barbequed beef dish for the potluck dinner. Everyone was shocked when they saw the 3 kilos of meat that she cooked but it was all gone at the end of the evening. It was very delicious.
    [​IMG]

You have to wonder just what it was that was cooking in those Outback Ovens:
    [​IMG]

DarrenM's tapas platter. Mmmm...
    [​IMG]

It was very popular:
    [​IMG]

Dinner was served in the dining room. Steve found his spot at the table and appeared quite happy. We had an incredibly good selection of tasty foods at the potluck:
    [​IMG]

Sunset on Saturday evening: Portand Island is one of those locations that always has a good sunset:
    [​IMG]

Moonlight at dusk at Arbutus Point:
    [​IMG]

The potluck dinner went long into the night:
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning and the Pavilion makes a good shelter from the wind and sun:
    [​IMG]

Packing up to head home on Sunday afternoon:
    [​IMG]

Mick heading towards Kanaka Bluff on the west side of Portland Island:
    [​IMG]

Crossing Shute Passage on our way home:
    [​IMG]

Boats on the boat. Our kayaks take up a fair bit of space at the bow of the ferry:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to everyone who attended and to MSR for the stoves and Pavilion Tarp, and to Western Canoeing & Kayaking for their generous loan of the Werner demo paddles as well as a discount for Sushiy's Werner paddle.

For those of you who didn't make it to this event, we hope to see you on the water soon.

10. Dan_Millsip

And one more of my newly finished boat on the point near the campsite:

[​IMG]

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yeah, Mick, the shoulder is better than I thought. Headed out for an overnighter on the clam beds in a week or so. Not much after-pain from Sunday's 10-12 easy miles, so things are looking good!

Dan, you got a ton of really nice photos. Is that Greg in the red folder?

12. Dan_Millsip

That's not a folder -- it's a Clipper Sea-1 paddled by Sludge.

13. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Awesome pictures Dan! 8)

14. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Dave, are you going clamming without me? That's should be illigal :(

I was too busy paddling, getting wet, cooking to take pics. Good thing we have good photograhers. They are awsome!!

15. sludge

sludge Paddler

Dan, the pictures are just great, as always. Thank you so very much for all your hard work coordinating that terrific rendezvous.

Dave, just to again demonstrate what wonderful hosts the WCP group are, they even graciously allow into their fold, an impertinent boor like me who has the nerve to show up in some kind of canoe!

16. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

we thought you might have some food.

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

:lol:

18. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Great pics everyone....and now I'm hungry. Sure wish I could have been there.

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Could be; I know lots of illigal things to do, and this might be one of them.

These are bay clams down on Willapa Bay, so they are in your state, Sushi.

20. sludge

sludge Paddler

(Psssss Dave. Can you lend me a yak so I can qualify for next year?)