WCP Spring Get Together 2007 - PHOTOS AND STORIES

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Perhaps Andreas would share his hammock with you. :lol: :shock:

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

:shock: :evil:

3. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Weeeellll...not technically as we've never really met...but I know you better than you know yourself...I know what you do, I know what you drive, I know where you live...oh, that reminds me; why did you fix your blinds? You've made it much more difficult for me to...make sure you are safe. I like your new shirt, by the way. :wink:

(okay, that's enough creepyness for the day! :D)

Perfect! I'll only need one, though.

You're selling it for $15?!? Whattadeal! :wink:

Jurfie.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Someone should throw a bucket of cold water on you guys. :shock: :lol:

We are planning on a spring paddle again this year and are discussing an alternative to Portland Island.

There's no group campsite or reservations on Portland Island, so we've got no way to secure the campsite (and I'm not suggesting there should be).

From discussions with the bird watchers last year, they told us that there were three large groups on previous weekends to the weekend we were there. The concern that we have with Portland Island is that we could find ourselves in a bit of a spot should we arrive at the campsite and find another large group already set up there! Not to mention that it would be a bit of a disappointment should another large group arrive after we've set up (although, that would be more disappointing for them than us). It's too bad that we even have to consider a new location but it could really put a damper on things should there be an overcrowding issue.

For what it's worth, the only thing we did last year was suggest a location that we felt had good access for those on the mainland and on the island and was within ten kilometers of paddling distance.

We'd be more than happy to hear of another location that would work well for this campout. A few from this site paddled to Keats Island last summer and said that it has a large, suitable campsite. Does anyone else know about it or have any photos of the campsite? Any other places that might work?

I suggest starting a new thread to discuss it.

5. andreas

andreas Paddler

How about Ruckle park on Salt Spring Isl.?
    They have a huge open field for bigger parties.
    There would be good fresh water on side, outhouses and ,as on Portland, great views!

The only down side is the rocky shore line.... makes it interesting for folks with wooden boats :lol:

Another cool place would be Galiano Isl. Lots of campsites , fresh water and great paddling around there too!