WCP spring get together 2008

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Jan 26, 2008.

1. andreas

andreas Paddler

[​IMG]
    Just the beginning! 1 hour later everything was coated with 2" snow.

[​IMG]
    Sticking it out....

2. elmo

elmo Paddler

Made it home safe and sound :wink:

Even took a side trip to to Sidney for an end of paddle celebratory pint... :lol:

Had a blast with all you fine folk... I'll post again later with lots of thank-you's (much deserved) and lots of highlights... wet gear to unpack...

Life is good!
    Thank you all,
    Daniel

3. inpayne

inpayne Paddler

:( I couldn't edit my post.....typing without editing may lead me to steal Andreas' signature.

4. Monster

Monster Paddler

Congratulations you guys and gals... I was hiking up to the summit on Bowen Island today and even though it was sunny, that air was cold!

A hardy bunch here!

5. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Who won the Roll-a-thon?? :lol: :lol:

6. andreas

andreas Paddler

I think Waverider did one roll.....

7. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

Great fotos, snow on the Gulf Islands in April! :eek:

Keep more fotos and trip reports comming!

:wink:

Willi

8. Robert_Meier

Robert_Meier Paddler

Thanks for the weekend! Met some old and new faces. I had a great time! Looking forward to next year.

9. kelly t

kelly t Paddler

I am glad to hear that everyone had a great (and safe) weekend!!
    Wonderful pics, and I look forward to more.

I would like to ask a question of those who used a hammock - How was it to be hammocking in the cooler weather? Any insights are appreciated ....
    from a 'potential convert' :D

kelly t

10. andreas

andreas Paddler

Hi Kelly,

We had in total of 3 hennessy hammocks set up and other than making it "windproof" nobody had any real issues. By windproofing, I mean, getting the hexfly low enough so that the wind doesn't cool you out too much from underneath. I was actually surprised that I wasn't cold at all at night, as I only had room in my boat for my +12c sleeping bag. But together with a thermarest , some thick socks, fleecepants and a fleece jacket I was warm enough to have a good sleep. BTW, I'm using my sleeping bag only as a blanket in the hammock, that gives it more loft and therefore more warmth.

I can't speak for Kathy or Mick, but as far as I know non of them was doing to bad at night.

Bottom line: No problems at all and the Hexfly was a big help to stay warm.

11. elmo

elmo Paddler

Did anyone find a pair of black neoprene gloves?

I swear I'd lose my kayak if I wasn't screwed into it sometimes... :lol:

Daniel

12. Houston

Houston Paddler

Daniel, there were a pair kicking around under the big tent, I don't know if anyone grabbed them, but I'm sure Dan won't leave them there.

13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Worth noting that Andreas was pitched (hung?) under the forest canopy, limiting radiative loss somewhat. Not sure about Kasey or Mick. I think Mick's site was more open to radiative losses than the one Andreas occupied.

14. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

the first nite, i had major convection losses due to the wind whistling thru my setup - it was a cool nite, but i was just ok.

but the next nite, i moved my setup far back into the forest where i had previously checked that there was minimal wind movement. (That's how i found the dead deer.)

Unfortunately the 2 nites are not a good comparison as it seemed a few degrees warmer on the 2nd, but it was a revolutionary change for the better without the wind.

if you are going to camp in marginally cold weather with a hammock, you need undercover insulation from the hammock undercover, thermorest or some other insulation (i use my wetsuit or clothes/jacket).

If it is really cold, it seems to make sense to get the overcover or make the setup eliminate interior wind movement.

15. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Lost Items

A few of items were left behind -- a pair of neoprene gloves, a black dry bag, a green dinner plate, an MSR pot grabber, and four slightly rotten bananas. Owners can get in touch with me to arrange their return (with the exception of the bananas -- we threw them out).

Also, I seem to be missing a stove -- it's an MSR Simmerlite. Perhaps someone mistakenly grabbed it off the table under the tarp?

16. Houston

Houston Paddler

The gloves are Elmo's, can't help you with the rest.... however, insert random maybe it's time for a Trangia comment.

17. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Hey, did you try your's out this weekend? I assume from your comment above that you've at least tried it and are a convert. :wink:

Give us a review! I'll be in the market for a stove soon... 8)

18. Houston

Houston Paddler

I really love the Trangia. My biggest issue is being terrible mechanically and never knowing how many pumps to do, or screwing bottle in right and all the other problems you can have with a stove. The Trangia takes care of all that for me.

I really enjoyed how user friendly it was.... except for the time I threw my o-ring on the flame and Andreas yelled at me :)

Get a kettle when you order it, if your set doesn't come with it. I didn't and now I need to order one.

19. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Andreas, you neandrethal! :eek: you never ever yell at a Lady! :wink:

i think one of the more readily available kettles (MSR?) fits in the 25 series Trangia. i seem to recall one of the guys i camped with last summer had this setup. GordB or GregN maybe?

Daren........

20. andreas

andreas Paddler

The GSI kettle fits. Around $16 at MEC

Hey, I just saved her from melting the ring... BTW, Usually I throw stuff at people , so yelling was pretty good for me :lol: :wink: