• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WCP spring get together 2008

andreas said:
I actually can't wait anymore, I'm so ready for kayak camping :D Anyone up for a "pre WCP camp" in the next couple of weeks?

Me too. Andreas, where would you like to go? Portland Island?

I can't make the pre-trip but I'm definitely on for the main event :)

See you all soon!

elmo

Nobody has mentioned my favorite (well second favorite) thing, THE FOOD!

What are we going cook up this year? (just thinking of the spread put on last year makes me drool)

(picture credits too Dan, DarrenM, and Kasey)
238_portland30_1.jpg

238_portland27_1.jpg

238_IMG_6720_1.jpg

Hi Greg:
You would be more than welcome if you like to join us! We (DarrenM, Waverider and myself) are planing to camp on Portland next week.

So far the only thing that would hold us back would be the weather or my work load (but that wouldn't mean you guys can't go)...

@Waverider:
Hmmmmmmmmm FOOOOOOOD
:D :shock:

Houston said:
....... oooo I feel this spurring on a shopping trip for cute WCP spring get together outfits!

Yes....for everyone who doesn't know, this was the WCP trendsetting outfit of the year last year. How will we ever surpass this?!
73_238_lederhosen_1_1.jpg

So.... is the date and location decided?? ( or did I miss something?)

I have to see if I can arrange my day offs that weekend and at least one day more( loooong travel from Seattle, so).
Hope things works out.

sushiy

Waverider posted this and it looks like the concensus.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So correct me if I am wrong here, the Location is Beaumont Marine park on South Pender Is. on the weekend of the 19/20th of April with temp. ranging from 7 to 15 degrees with a few clouds ?

Count me in, I am looking at the idea of heading over on the Thursday late afternoon ( if the ferry cooperates ) if not maybe the paddle over from swartz bay would be fun on Friday morning.

Mark_Schilling said:
Below is the ferry schedule from Tsawwassen to Lyall Harbour, Saturna Island.
Dan_Millsip said:
Taking the ferry to Saturna Island would give you a 4 km crossing (total distance to paddle is about 8 km).

So...if I understand correctly, we (from the mainland) would catch the ferry to Lyall Harbour on Saturna and paddle the 8km from there? Is that closer (and/or safer) than paddling from the Otter Bay terminal on North Pender?

Is anyone planning on catching the 8:35am on Saturday, or is everyone going Friday night? I have to work Friday, but the 6:40pm may be do-able if I decide to join in this year. I'm okay with the 4km crossing, but not comfortable doing it alone (I've always paddled with others).

Jurfie said:
Is that closer (and/or safer) than paddling from the Otter Bay terminal on North Pender?

Yes - much closer. From Otter Bay, you'd have to paddle down the length of North Pender and then up into Bedwell Harbour. That would probably be in the range of 14 km, and it's more exposed to southerly winds and any weather coming up Haro Strait.

Jurf, if you are truly interested in coming then I am sure you and I can work something out, (we will need to build a kayak bar for the Ranger though, and then you can use my spare boat, then I will meet you at the put in and paddle across with you, and it will only cost you a few beer 10 ++ 8) )

If it was only as easy as it sounded :roll:

Hi all,

Two questions:

1. I did a take out to board the inter-island ferry at Lyall Harbour years back, but I can't remember the details and the landscape may have changed. What's the takeout/put-in for kayaks like there, and how do I get there off the ferry (I'll probably be wheeling my kayak)?

2. Anyone know how to predict ebbs and floods through Pender Channel (between North and South Pender)? I've got all the tides and currents tables, so if you could even tell me what station it's based on and the offsets (i.e. how much time to add or subtract from whatever station it's based on.)

Cheers,

Philip

kayakwriter said:
1. What's the takeout/put-in for kayaks like there (at Lyall Harbour), and how do I get there off the ferry (I'll probably be wheeling my kayak)?

2. Anyone know how to predict ebbs and floods through Pender Channel (between North and South Pender)?

Good questions that should be answered, as the ferry to Saturna will be a good alternative to most of us if the weather does not cooperate. Anyone with knowledge of that area?

kayakwriter said:
What's the takeout/put-in for kayaks like there, and how do I get there off the ferry (I'll probably be wheeling my kayak)?

Wheeling the kayak off the ferry on Saturna, you'll travel a few metres up the main road and immediately turn left to a large concrete loading zone from which the ramp extends down to the Government wharf. You can wheel straight down that (assuming your wheels can handle it!) and put in from the wharf. Personally I prefer launching from wharves (part of the whole dry feet thing :lol: ) but there's really no other option here - there's no 'beach' nearby - it's all very steep rock cliffs.

Anyone know how to predict ebbs and floods through Pender Channel (between North and South Pender)? I've got all the tides and currents tables, so if you could even tell me what station it's based on and the offsets (i.e. how much time to add or subtract from whatever station it's based on.)

I don't have any rules of thumb for this area. In all honesty, the current is never enough to be a real danger if you're a reasonably competent paddler. You can't predict currents based on tide tables. That is, the tidal swing on any particular day has little bearing on the current strength, and the time of max. current has little relation to the tidal timing (ie time of slack current does not equal time of slack tide, etc.). So you can never use tide tables to predict currents, for any area on the Pacific coast. Current prediction is such a finicky science that there are only a few places that can be predicted based on currents at other stations, so looking at the current strength and times for Boat Passage may have little relevance in Plumper Sound (between Saturna and South Pender).

The Pender Canal, between North and South Penders, does carry some current but it can be paddled through. It's short enough that you should be able to 'sprint' through it; if the current is strong enough that you're not comfortable doing so, you can wait it out in Shark Cove. Both ends of the canal are very sheltered and I've never experienced any dangerous currents or turbulence in the canal.

Hope that helps - best of luck!

Mark_Schilling said:
In all honesty, the current is never enough to be a real danger if you're a reasonably competent paddler. You can't predict currents based on tide tables. That is, the tidal swing on any particular day has little bearing on the current strength, and the time of max. current has little relation to the tidal timing (ie time of slack current does not equal time of slack tide, etc.). SNIP
The Pender Canal, between North and South Penders, does carry some current but it can be paddled through. It's short enough that you should be able to 'sprint' through it; if the current is strong enough that you're not comfortable doing so, you can wait it out in Shark Cove. Both ends of the canal are very sheltered and I've never experienced any dangerous currents or turbulence in the canal.

Thanks Mark. That's reassuring. I like to think I'm reasonably competent - I've muddled through 20 years of sea kayaking. But part of good sea kayaking is gathering local knowledge where possible. I'd run Pender Canal (thanks for the correction) years ago, but only with the current, so I wasn't sure how strong it got. I do know that tides and currents don't coincide, but you didn't know that I knew, so thanks for not assuming.

See you at Beaumont, I hope?

Cheers,

Philip

candikayak said:
Hi Mark, what do you mean , assuming your wheels can handle it ?

I'm guessing he meant weenie plastic wheels and frames that might fracture with the repeated bumping of a loaded kayak on the stop sticks nailed across the ramp to the float. My wheelset is has full-on pneumatic tires and sturdy steel frame. Which means the only possibility of entertaining the locals I offer is if it's really low tide, so the ramp is really steep, and my boat gets away from me and launches itself...

kayakwriter said:
candikayak said:
Hi Mark, what do you mean , assuming your wheels can handle it ?

I'm guessing he meant weenie plastic wheels and frames that might fracture with the repeated bumping of a loaded kayak on the stop sticks nailed across the ramp to the float. My wheelset is has full-on pneumatic tires and sturdy steel frame. Which means the only possibility of entertaining the locals I offer is if it's really low tide, so the ramp is really steep, and my boat gets away from me and launches itself...

If i recall correctly, only half of that ramp has the sticks nailed to it, other half is a typical cheese grater ramp, i may be wrong,haven't been there since last summer. At lower tides when the ramp is steep, if your mid-wheels aren't particularly high, a 15+ ft kayak will probably bottom out both ends near the bottom of the ramp. my home made cart with 6'' solid plastic wheels held up just fine to that and any other ramp i threw at it so far.

Back