WCP Spring get together

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by DarrenM, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Nope - I really need to get some sort of waterproof camera! If we had video from one of the short crossings between Jackscrew Is. and Saltspring you would have sworn it was from This Is The Sea! 8O 8)

2. andreas

andreas Paddler

8O :lol:

3. glock

glock Paddler

Once I was really into TITS. But now I'm into TITS2. :lol:

4. Helen

Helen Paddler

We were thinking about you this weekend too and wondering how the winds were in Trincomali. Did you make it to Secretary Islands?

5. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Unfortunately, no - but you would have loved those winds! Friday was quite nice - no rain and the wind was in our favour. But on Saturday the winds really picked up and brought lots of rain and cold. We paddled around Wallace, exploring all the coves and bays, then venturing back out into the gales and frothy seas, and got some good surfing down the east side of the island on the building swells in Trincomali Channel. There were a few sailboats tacking back and forth between Wallace and Saltspring; they were really heeled over and carried on at a pretty good pace.

There are LOTS of tug boats and barges going up and down Trincomali channel - some of them were having a tough time against the wind and waves, and one of them even pulled a u-turn in front of our camp - obviously he'd had enough. The forecasts were for strong winds Sunday, so we knew we'd have to save our energy for the return trip. So, we only did about 11 km Saturday. All tolled, we logged over 90 km (just under 40 km each way).

We also tried for a geocache on the north tip of Wallace, but either I'm VERY out of practise or it's no longer there .