• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Weekends on the water

I'm tentatively planning on heading to False Creek for a night paddle on Saturday. Probably leave the coast guard station around 8:30 pm or so -- anyone who wants to, is welcome to join me.

Dan_Millsip said:
I'm tentatively planning on heading to False Creek for a night paddle on Saturday. Probably leave the coast guard station around 8:30 pm or so -- anyone who wants to, is welcome to join me.

I'm taking the wife out for Mother's Day on Saturday night but I hope to get away to Allouette Lake for a few hours during the day if anyone's into it. Time to take some pictures of something other than the baby. :lol:

Leaving for Rum and or Portland island Sat AM. Returning Sunday afternoon.
Hope this wind dies down....

Andy and I went for a very nice paddle on Alouette Lake yesterday. During our travels, we came across this fellow fishing:

IMG_3387.jpg

Here's the dinner he caught while we were chatting with him (he was quite pleased that we got a picture):

IMG_3392.jpg

I just got back from padling up the Nikomekl River. I didn't know that it would be a good place to paddle until I saw it in the gallery, thanks for letting me know. I met some people in kayaks near the train bridge and told them about this site. They said they will check it out. Great stuff and thanks again for the website.

Lionel_S said:
I just got back from padling up the Nikomekl River. I didn't know that it would be a good place to paddle until I saw it in the gallery, thanks for letting me know. I met some people in kayaks near the train bridge and told them about this site. They said they will check it out. Great stuff and thanks again for the website.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and the site! :) We enjoy preparing these albums, and hope that people find them useful as trip suggestion guides. I haven't done many mainland paddling trips yet, but I should have lots of opportunity to explore more areas around Greater Vancouver in a couple of months. :wink: Meanwhile, I'm quite happy paddling around the southern Gulf Islands! Stay tuned for more albums on places accessible from the Victoria area. 8)

Thanks for the kind words, Lionel. Glad you enjoyed the Nicomekl, it's a very nice place to paddle. I'm about a half-hour drive from Crescent beach and sometimes head to the Nicomekl after dinner, or when I've only got 2-3 hours available for a paddle.

Today after dinner however, I managed to get in a two and a half hour paddle in Bedford Channel (on the Fraser River at Fort Langley) -- I sure do like the longer days as summer approaches! It was mostly a workout paddle, but I also played around in the currents at the top of McMillan Island for the better part of an hour -- that was fun.

Darren, how was Rum Island? I can hardly wait to go back there.

Back