Welcome to the new forums! Report a problem thread.

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Dan_Millsip, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Hi Everyone,

Well, it wasn't as straight-forward a move to the new forums as we'd hoped but as you can see, we've got the new forums up and running. We'll be working on fine tuning things for the next couple of weeks so please bear with us if things in the forums don't work correctly right away.

I'd like to thank fellow paddler and programmer, Dave Ostapovich for his tireless work over the past few weeks in helping to get the forum database transferred to the new forums -- this was no easy feat considering the size of the database and the several technical problems we had along the way.

The rest of the site will be updated over the next coming weeks -- so again, please bear with us as we make the changes.

There are bound to be some bugs in the forums over the next few weeks, so if you come across any issues, please let us know by posting in this thread.

Thanks,

Dan
    -----

AM likes this.
  2. Dan_Millsip

Argh. We've got an issue with the uploading of images. Working on it now to resolve the problem.

3. nootka

nootka Paddler

It's nice to see youtube code accept the extra s in https

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. nootka

nootka Paddler

how do I edit?

got it, thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Dan_Millsip likes this.
  5. Dan_Millsip

There should be an edit option at the bottom of each of your posts now.

You have the ability to edit your post for 720 minutes (12 hrs) from when you initially made the post.

6. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

The 'New Posts' tab isn't showing all recent posts.

Dan_Millsip likes this.
  7. Dan_Millsip

Looks like we've got some server-side permission issues that are stopping us from uploading images. The changes will be made in the morning by our hosting company (no one with authority to change server permissions is available in the evenings).

You can still post but can't upload images just yet.

8. Dan_Millsip

Seems to be working for me. Maybe check again?

9. Dan_Millsip

In addition to the new forum software, our host company is installing a new version of PHP (the server operating system) today which has also caused a few unforeseen and unusual problems in the forums -- thankfully our hosting company is on top of it and fixing things as soon as we let them know about.

There are now some serious issues with the Paddling Locations and Boat Building galleries that are a result of the updated server -- not sure if we can fix this one but we're going to try. Might take a few days...

10. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Still not showing my post at 1622 today.

11. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

So, it's now 'recent posts' not 'new posts' - I found the 'almost hidden' command/link.

No multi-quote (quote several messages) in this new software?

12. Dan_Millsip

I'm seeing that post when selecting "New Posts > View all recent posts". It also shows up in the sidebar list of new posts on the opening page of the forums (although it will drop off the list as more posts are made).

Multi-quote is now enabled.

13. Khuna

Khuna Paddler

Dan, for people such as myself who are color blind the choice of light shades, small type face, and low contrast between backgroung and font hues creates difficulties. Light shades with similar color saturation look the same. White text on a light backgroung, or light grey on a white background is difficult to read. Perhaps you can fix as time goes on. Growing pains . Cheers

Dan_Millsip likes this.
  14. designer

designer Paddler

The "Sign In" vs "Sign Up" is a little awkward. Took a second look to work passed all the Sign Up indicators. Hopefully it will now (browser knows the site, stores the password, etc.) be just a click and in. Cool that we have 12 hours to edit a post. Hate those embarrassing speling and grammar errors.

The colors are nice, bright, welcoming.

I'm guessing you can't change the font size on the "last post" indicator (date) on the sub forums. But maybe you can make it BOLD instead of light gray. Some of us older folk like a larger font (You'll get there if you haven't already :) ).

Looks like if the post is less than a week old, you show the day and not the date. The date was always useful to me - easy to see if something was posted since my last read. Once you are retired (You'll get there if you haven't already :) ), you'll find that keeping track of days isn't so necessary, "Saturday?" When was Saturday?"

Now is time to try a trip report and see if I can figure out photo management.

Okay - Looks like images aren't being posted to past Trip Reports. The How to Add ... instructions look they they still apply to the previous Forum mechanics.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  15. Dan_Millsip

Hi Everyone,

Yes, we'll be making the text colours more contrasted and possibly larger -- but not until other more pressing issues are dealt with.

Designer, I see nothing wrong with the name of the day instead of the date. Surely you're not so senile that you can't remember what day it was yesterday -- if so, you've got more than simple aging problems.

No, now is not the time to try posting photos to a trip report -- if you read a couple of posts up, you'll see that uploading images is an issue that we're trying to resolve right now.

We've got several other unexpected issues that we're dealing with as well at this time but please everyone, let us know what you've found and we'll try to get everything tidied up as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

16. Mac50L

Mac50L Paddler

It isn't rocket science and there is enough out there to tell what works and what doesn't. Besides colour blindness, there's screen lighting and placement, eye sight of viewers (age), and just general easy to read things to consider.
    Try -
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archi..._to_improve_the_accessibility_of_your_design/
    I presume the green and grey are default so it tells you that those who designed this forum programme don't actually know what they are doing. As for other problems, as they have all been solved long ago with other programmes, why should the latest be such a hassle?

I'm not colour blind and have reasonably good eye sight for screen work but why make life difficult when it is so easy not to?

17. designer

designer Paddler

Yes, so far, I still know which day Saturday is :) I was just looking at the dates for last post and didn't expect the day name.

Once I wrote a program and believe I used green and blue or a maroon for the labels on buttons. It looked purdy. Once published, I "became aware (with the help of several reviewers)" that the colors didn't work every well for color blindness. Lots to keep in mind.

Thank you for your efforts. I'm sure it will be better than before once the kinks are worked out.

18. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Dan-
    "selecting "New Posts > View all recent posts"....
    Does this imply that you are getting a drop down menu when you click on 'New Posts' ?
    That doesn't happen for me.
    I have to click on New Posts (in the top menu bar) and the next page then has (in a very small font) 'Recent posts' over on the right beside 'Mark Forums Read' (as if those two ideas are related).
    Is this what you see?
    Perhaps I'm the only person who uses 'Recent posts' ?
    The whole redesign gives the appearance of something optimized for phones and tablets, so not optimum for me..so far.

19. Dan_Millsip

If there are no unviewed new posts there is an option to view recent posts.

20. Dan_Millsip

Still working on the image uploading issue.