Whacko Question: What materials for this kayak hat?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by mick_allen, Mar 10, 2016.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

So along with all the other ideas, I've got this kayak hat idea laying around. Too complex for commercial purposes, but could be fun for one or two takeoffs. Maybe stick the marine trail logo on the side.

It's basically just a very 'fattened' S&G pattern, so all the pieces would be known and will fit together, but they probably should be of some kind of stiff or stiffened fabric material. Obviously the head portion could be easily made from neoprene so that it actually is identical to the sprayskirt that it represents, but that would be too sweaty while wearing - so some other black fabric [maybe even felt] could be used. But any other ideas for the head portion and for the brim/body portion? I had thought about epoxy stiffened ballistic nylon for the body pieces and then just sewn together with thread, but other ideas?

Anyway for fun and humour:

2. benson

benson Paddler

Nice....Think Cheesehead! Maybe a styro prototype?

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Perhaps that cast material with FG resin impregnated, activated by water I think. Just sew it up into the shape and then spray with water.

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

probably with neoprene scaps and probably with veneer with f/g over or under.
    maybe a simpler brim version:

dave, I'm trying to think of an actual stiff fabric of some kind - so it could be in the textile realm.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Mick wrote:

dave, I'm trying to think of an actual stiff fabric of some kind - so it could be in the textile realm

Me, too. Hit a fabric store. They sell backing fabrics which might do the job. I think there might be something stiff for the sng to work which softens on washing as the sizing is removed. Even heavily sized 2 oz or 1 oz glass (model airplane store) would work, and you could hit it with diluted resin on the brim to make that even stiffer.

6. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Fiberglass could maybe be considered a textile so.... fiberglass or chosen composite material (carbon fiber or kevlar?) of the appropriate weight saturated with G-Flex epoxy. Flexible, rain proof, can be made to match your kayak.

7. LAM

LAM Paddler

Would ballistic nylon and corey's goop work? Similar to a SOF? Very durable and water tight.

Lila

Just seeing that you had already come up with that idea...