What are your favourite knots?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by BigandSmall, Apr 23, 2016.

1. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

2. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

3. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

It's considered a decorative knot, but I use a turk's head near the loom on my greenland paddle to act as a drip ring. Most folks won't want such since it interferes with a slide stroke, but I find it useful in the cold waters of spring..
    http://www.animatedknots.com/turkshead/#ScrollPoint

4. AM

AM Paddler

I love your choices. I would add either a sheet bend or fisherman's knot for joining two ropes. Probably sheet bend as it works with lines of differing diameters.

Cheers,
    Andrew

5. pryaker

pryaker Paddler

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I use the sheet bend a lot for joining lines, and most of the others as well. Turk's head makes a handy termination for a rudder or skeg haul line. Clove hitch I do not use enough.

And the most critical knot of all: taut line hitch for pitching tents and tarps. I prefer 6 mm to 8 mm for serious tarpage anchoring, and the TLH really does rhe job.

7. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Thank you all for your suggestions, we'll give them a whirl.

Drahcir, thanks for the decorative suggestion. My Daughter has barely used the stick I made for her. Instead she opts for her bright green Onno (since it's all about the colour). I happen to have some bright green 4mm here. That Turk's head Woggle knot might make it more attractive.

8. LAM

LAM Paddler

Hi!

My favourite knot is the Monkey Fist. Firstly, it looks really cool, secondly, it is pretty easy to do. It is a heaving knot, and can be used to get your "food hanging" line up high on branch.

Lila

9. DavidB

DavidB Paddler

I don't know how I ever accomplished anything in life before learning to tie a trucker's hitch. I use it in conjunction with an exploding hitch (e.g., mooring hitch) a lot--clothes line, tarp highline, tying down loads in my truck...

I like to use "slipped" or "exploding" knots whenever life or property isn't at stake.

10. Water Horse

Water Horse Paddler

11. Jameyt

Jameyt Paddler

12. Chris_Hvid

Chris_Hvid Paddler

13. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Besides the other good suggestions already mentioned i have found that i also use the "Canadian jam knot" which can be found on youtube, and also what has been knick named "the Mors Knot", after Mor's Kochanski which can be viewed in the following video. Good for hammocks and tarps in particular.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... Suspension