What is it?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Outsider, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Outsider

Outsider Paddler

I found this with a yellow nylon rope attached to it that was tangled in some logs in the Broughton Group last summer.

It is 8 inches long and weighs about 10 lbs. It is hollow and has two holes at one end for a cotter pin.
    I have removed the rusted cotter pin and the rope it held and spray painted it. It was red before also.
    What is it?

Outsider

2. Longwing

Longwing Paddler

I think it is a sonar weight. My brother did some work on the Saskatoon river and used something like that to keep the sonar device in place while being pulled by a large ship. His was larger though so I am guessing
    Longwing

3. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I believe it's a weight for holding commercial trolling lines at the right depth. The hydrodynamic shape is to reduce the tendency to "fly" to the surface caused by the boat's forward motion.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I found a very similar torpedo shaped weight, maybe a little smaller, in the Columbia, many miles from the mouth. I suspect it may have served as a lead line weight for a gill net, used with many others to keep the lower edge of the net down.

5. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Rather than a weight for a stationary gill net, I suspect it is a weight for something dragged, be it a fishing line or sonar as mentioned. The gill nets I have used have simple weights, not aerodynamic/hydrodynamic at all. Of course it could always be repurposed for a gill net, which is perhaps what you saw Dave?
    Bryan

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Gill nets in the river have current running past them, even when drifting. The one I saw was very old, on a relict of old mud flat. Looked smaller than Outsider's. I thought it was some sort of practice bomblet, so I left it alone.