WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - April 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan_Millsip, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Went for a paddle in English Bay and then False Creek last night with Steve, Robert, and Robert's brother who was visiting from South Africa. We left the Coast Guard boat launch at about 6:30 PM and paddled past Kits beach towards Jericho and then paddled back towards downtown as the sun was setting. I didn't take a lot of pictures but here's a few of what I did take.

Paddling along Kits beach:
    [​IMG]

A seal pup followed us for quite a ways, spending much of it's time playing with the rudders on our boats:
    [​IMG]

Robert:
    [​IMG]

No Robert:
    [​IMG]

We had just got off the water and finished loading the paddling gear in our cars at about 10:30 when all of a sudden, it got really windy -- so much so that my double kayak on the grass was getting blown away. Then we got hail. Lots of hail.

As we drove home, we got ahead of the storm but by the time I got home to Langley and began taking the boat off of my car, the storm had caught up and it started raining really hard again. It's been pretty interesting weather this year.

At any rate, we enjoyed a very relaxing and peacefully urban paddle last night prior to the arrival of the storm.

2. sludge

sludge Paddler

Launched from the same spot about 10 am Saturday morning, but the wind off Jericho was very determined, and churning things up. I let the wind push me back under the Burrard bridge for some civilized, protected urban dawdling in False Creek. There were more herons than paddlers.

3. riverman

riverman Paddler

First I checked out Jericho but even standing in the wind was a challenge so I headed to what I thought would be better conditions. Reckon I wasn' the only one trying to launch from the Coast Guard Station. I attempted to head out past Kits beach around 10:30am but was not up to paddling into 30-40 Km winds. Headed back in before I could find out how the new wetsuit worked. Somebody was launching a Clipper 1 at the same time. Did see several other kayaks out.

4. Daveman

Daveman Paddler

Loaded up and drove 1000 miles due south...where it's warm, sunny, and beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG]

Used the kayak trailer idea one step further and made it work with a bike towbar. Worked well, the beach was 1 mile from my campsite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No seals here but lots of these fellows.

[​IMG]

5. Dan_Millsip

8O

My daughter freaks out when seals get too close.

Looks to me like a cool place to paddle. One day...

Where is that Daveman?

6. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Okay, I'll bite....assuming that is a sunset and not a sunrise (and I have no idea how to tell!) and the sun sets in the west...Baja, Calif?? Also have no idea whether alligators (or crocs) are only freshwater or also saltwater...
    Kathy :oops:

7. Daveman

Daveman Paddler

Link to Mapquest

St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, Port St. Joe, Florida. It's a 20 mile finger of sand that splits the water with the gulf on the west side and St. Joseph bay on the east side. In some places the land is only a few hundred yards wide. The bay is like the Carribean. Clear turquois water, very calm. Twice voted the most beautiful beach in the USA. The weather was in the upper 70F's, lower 80'sF, no rain, no bugs, little people.

Here's the beach on the gulf side. Notice how crowded it is.

[​IMG]

Kasey, it was a sunset but since it's on the gulf coast of Florida so it works.

The alligators do both fresh and salt water. You don't bother them, they don't bother you. This little guy (about 5 feet) was actually in the marina at the boat dock. In the picture of the river (3rd one down) there are literally thousands of gators.

[​IMG]

Now that I'm back in Ohio, I'm wishing I was back in Florida. It's going to snow tonight.

Daveman

8. Dan_Millsip

Pygmies?

9. mikec

mikec Paddler

speaking of seals, i was out at kits beach last friday practicing some rolls and sculling, and as i was laying there on the water sculling at one point i heard some breathing close by, turn around, and see a seal about 5 feet away just staring at me for about 20 seconds before he dove back under and disappeared!

needless to say, it was quite the surprise!

mike

ps - dan, that Trax review is coming, not had too much time to write it out yet...

10. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Put in from the boathouse at English Bay at noon yesterday. Paddled over to the doggie beach at Spanish Banks, delighting and surprising our sheltie, Scotia, who had arrived there by car with my wife. Played ball with them on the beach for a hour. Paddled back out through the shallows, then put up the sails. Went about half way across to Point Atkinson, just for the pleasure of sailing as far off the wind as I could with my leeboard. The snow-capped peaks of Howe Sound looked lovely in the sunlight.
    Then turned back for English Bay, zig-zagging on the way just for the fun of it, and because a broad reach is the fastest point of sail. Never fell below 3.2knots, often was doing over 4knots.
    Just before 15:00hrs heard a mayday put out on the VHF by Vancouver Coast Guard - a canoe run over by a pleasure boat in Coal Harbour. It was cancelled about ten minutes later - either a prank or an honest mistake.
    Used the VHF myself a few minutes later to hail a tug outbound from First Narrows towards Point Grey - making sure he'd seen me. He had - but better safe than sorry. Landed a bit after 16:30 after a great few hours on the water.

11. rider

rider Paddler

mine should be called "where have i pedaled' instead but it's coastal so it should be fine :) I made an overnight cycling trip to saturna island and illegally slept behind the bush on the very point of the island. On the way back i got chased by a pack of turkeys.
    The sea lions on a rock nearby were LOUD. in my little vid you can hear them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia1YrQIuMOQ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Great shots, Rider! I'm sure you're not the only one to have 'stealth camped' out on East Point - it's a great spot! :wink: The Parks Dept. is considering opening nearby Narvaez Bay and / or Winter Cove to overnight camping within the next year or two - either of those locations would be great places to spend a night or two.

Watch those turkeys - they call the shots on Saturna! :lol:

Would it be too strange to admit that I know the exact location of that tree? 8O I'm sure some other (ex-geocacher) people on this site may also recognise it. :wink:

13. Dan_Millsip

Nice pictures Rider.

I went for a paddle in False Creek with my favourite paddling partners on Friday. We saw IanC's car in the Coast Guard boat launch parking lot and left a WCP card -- he left one of his own cards for us!

This was my youngest daughter's second time out in her new Raven kayak and she did fine, paddling a total of about 8 km on her own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Very cool, Dan. Good to see the youngsters out on the water. That last shot is a keeper ... especially for when they make you a grandfather!

15. Duncan2

Duncan2 Paddler

Birch Bay

We were in Birch Bay this weekend, and went down Tyrell Creek, and out into the bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Yucatan Peninsula Mexico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

darren that is not nice of you to show of here :wink:

hope you get a sunburn :twisted:

just kiddin :lol:

18. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Very cool, very jealous Darren... I trust you had a great time and represented Canada well. :wink:

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

....For the most part... But I won't be going back to that part of Mexico again. I'm sticking with the west coast...

No sunburn Andreas, just a nice tan 8)
    Uploading video now, stand by (if interested)

20. andreas

andreas Paddler

ok, i'm waiting