WHERE DID YOU PADDLE - April 2016

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by LAM, Apr 10, 2016.

1. LAM

LAM Paddler

Doug and I paddled up Alouette Lake yesterday for a wiener roast. Went up to the Narrows then turned back and went to the Moyer Creek Campsite. It is a really nice area, especially when you have the place to yourself! We were expecting more people to be there given that it was such a beautiful day. There were a few motor boats on the lake but not as many as we had expected.

Total trip was 19.3 K. 3 hours 45 minutes paddling time. 5 hot dogs eaten! :p

Lila

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Re: WERE DID YOU PADDLE - April 2016

PERCY PRIEST LAKE, 4-8-16.

Took a short paddle on Percy Priest (TN) last week. I had hoped to do a longer trip on Sunday with a friend, but my porch project turned out to need more time than I had allotted for it, and I had to get that done, so oh well.

Despite having paddled on Priest many times, I had never been over towards the dam. It's on the more populated end of things, and in the summertime it's a mess. But last Fri it was cool (almost cold!) and windy, and no one was out but me!

It was in the upper 30s and very windy. I was pretty cold by the time I launched, even in my dry top/pants and an extra shirt. Wished I had put on the fleece, which was in a dry bag! I did put on my balaclava for the first 30 min. After that the sun sort of came out (sometimes) and I just warmed up from paddling and stowed it.

I went past tiny Luau Island. Had seen it on the map, but not up close before. Believe it or not, CAMPING is allowed here. ????? This grosses me out more than a little. I wouldn't set foot on the thing. Think about it!!!

Luau from the back (it wasn't nearly as stormy looking as it appears here--the sun was in and out the whole time and rain was not forecasted).

Here's the dam. I find them interesting.

One of the reasons to avoid this part of the lake in the summertime is Nashville Shores, the waterpark. WAAAAY too much humanity for me!

The wind was mostly against me going out, and then, after I took a short lunch break on Goose Island and headed back, was against me AGAIN! What are the chances LOL?

I was out for about 4 hours and worked hard the whole time. Still need to install that damn rudder!! :)

3. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

Blue Rocks, Nova Scotia. Weather here has been terrible for the past few weekends, but hey, it's April. It was still an off shore windy day and the sea was still lumpy from a 40 knot blow two days earlier. Decided to paddle on the interior of an island group as we haven't been able to paddle since February.

4. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

Paddled out to a small group of islands and shoals called Hell Rackets at the mouth of Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. Wind 10-15 kts NE, air 5 degrees, water 2 degrees. A bit of surf, rock hopping, and flat water paddling. Lots of lobster boats around. 20km trip and the first sun burnt face of the year.

5. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

The Jealousy is running strong up here with the pictures posted above. We had planned a 5 hour river trip, staged our pick up vehicle and were minutes from the launch point only to come across a road block. An accident had the highway blocked for the next three hours taking out our time window. We drove back to town and settled for playing in the little bit of open water available on the lake. It was fun to play on the ice though.

6. LAM

LAM Paddler

Doug and I had a fantastic paddle day on Saturday. We have been talking about getting some formal kayak surf launch/landing instruction for a few years and we finally got to it! We booked a day with Liam from Tofino Sea Kayaking (Vanislepaddler) and made our way to Tofino BC on Friday. We had such a good time! We were able to start at MacKenzie beach which is where we had a cabin booked. Liam provided us with some theory and taught us how to read the water/waves and wait for the right time to launch. He showed us how to land in good size surf and he spent some time teaching us how to "surf" our kayaks. It was such an awesome day! The surf was getting bigger as the hours went by and we were able to get pretty comfortable by the end of the day in some nice surf.

I ended up outside of my kayak at least 3 times! I think I may have ate a bit of sand but you would have a hard time getting the grin off my face! At the end of the day however, I tried 4 times to get out of my kayak! My legs were so tired from hanging on so tight all day I could hardly use them! :p

Doug now gets to try his hand at fiberglassing! He put a small hole in my kayak with the bow of his! :lol: Totally worth it!

We can't say enough about Liam. He was able to read us so well and was quick to figure us out and put together a plan that was exactly what we were looking for. And, as it turns out, Liam is not just a great dude :cool but also a superb photographer. All these photos are courtesy of Liam.

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Wow! That looks amazing! You're so lucky. I'm totally envious.

8. mstoc.co

mstoc.co Paddler

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSvidlBXdY[/youtube]

I didn't make a trip to Skook in all of 2015, so this was a bit of a refresher to the area for me. The weather was exceedingly warm for a Tuesday in mid-April; perfect for a chill, little rip on the wave.

Cheers,

9. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

April 23 in Paddy's Head, Nova Scotia. Air 7 degrees, water 2 degrees. Overcast. Wind S 10-15 knots. Paddy's Cove is very near Peggy's Cove and its iconic lighthouse. Paddy's Cove is more sheltered from the swell. This day trip was nothing remarkable, but it felt so good to get out and paddle.

10. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Nice pics Bluenose!

11. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Nice vid, Mario. I've PM'd you.