WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? August 2006

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by IanC, Aug 14, 2006.

1. IanC

IanC Paddler

Just came back from 5 glorious days in the Deer Group. On the second morning, we heard on the weather report that 2 kayaks had gone adrift off Stud Islets on the overnight high tide. The report went on to request assistance for 2 stranded kayakers, hoping for a ride back to the mainland. Luckily for these two (who appeared down at Ross later in the day), a sport fisherman retrieved and returned the kayaks after only a couple of hours. Some other miscellaneous gear was lost from the beach. The two guys were pretty sheepish - they thought they had pulled their boats up high enough.

The obvious lesson here is always check the tide predictions, examine the beach carefully for evidence of where high tide actually was previously, and tie up your boats!

I would post a Deer Group photo or two, but it doesn't seem to work very for me - any help?

[​IMG]

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Re: Where did you paddle? Aug 2006

Several years ago, one went adrift from the Ross Islets, and was retrieved across Imperial Eagle Channel adrift off Effingham in the Brokens.

I think those micro beaches in the Deers lead to this. I've had to stuff my boat in the brush there, a time or two!

3. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

You need to use the img tag to post a picture and you need to make sure it ends with a .jpg, .gif etc.

[​IMG]

4. ztar

ztar Paddler

5. Duncan2

Duncan2 Paddler

Bunzen Lake

Hello everyone!

In August we bought some kayaks and so far we have had lots of fun, here are some pics from Bunzen Lake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]