WHERE DID YOU PADDLE?: December 2006

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Kasey, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Well, there's a good chance we were the only manned boats on the whole of Okanagan Lake today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Brrrrrr! Looks cold to me! The yellow kayak -- is that an Eddyline?

3. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

No Dave, that's my Nimbus Telkwa Sport!

4. Robert_Meier

Robert_Meier Paddler

Nice shots! Looks very cold though!

What happened to that sunken boat?

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

It was actually only about -3 but we did do a very conservative paddle because of the cold and ice. We just came out of a cold spell and we actually didn't anticipate thin ice offshore.....decided it may be risky to go very far and find ourselves needing to get to shore and unable due to ice. I bet all the sheltered little bays have ice. Never thought of that problem! Not sure what happened with the houseboat....do they have pontoons or something that may have sprung a leak? It is sitting on the bottom on that low side. I think the big tug is actually sitting on the bottom too....meant to see if it was but forgot. Here's another neat pic...must be the north wind during the cold spell wrapped the ice around the dock pilings!
    [​IMG]

6. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I did not know that boat can eskimo roll!! 8) 8)

7. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

Wow! 8O

You guys are hard core! :D

I can't even imagine how cold that must be

8. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Brrrr.....looks a lot different from the times I've been there, granted they were always in the summer :wink:

Looks like a neat entry :p

9. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Awesome shots Kasey! Looks like a lot of fun. From the way the ice is blown around objects, you must have had some big winds up there in the last little while. Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Mick and I went paddling in the rain last night in False Creek. Quite an uneventful paddle as the tide was way, way low so we couldn't poke around in all the usual spots -- but still, it was nice just to get out.

Near the tennis courts in Alder Bay:
    [​IMG]

Mick paddling in front of a decorated cruise boat:
    [​IMG]

Cambie Street bridge:
    [​IMG]

10. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Darn, you get some nice night shots with your camera Dan!

11. bradwurst

bradwurst Paddler

Okay enough of the cold weather shots!!!
    It has been very hot over here in The Cote d' Ivore.
    45 degrees the other day so we went to the beach on our day off to have a pop. I was "sans kayak", since it is a little to big for carry-on. But look at the ugliness of these waves. Might be a little tiring doing a surf launch through this. The ocean bottom here is very deep and then it drasticaly steepens. The waves have no defined pattern. They just collapse on top of each other, and the rip is one of the strongest that I have ever felt. Well Take care and see you in the water for a new years day paddle. Oh yeah, Mark says he will give these a try.
    Brad

12. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Uh... what exactly did I agree to now? :?

13. andreas

andreas Paddler

@ dan:
    can i ask you what kind of float you are paddling in the pictures two posts up? is that a surf board? :lol:

@bradwurst:

hmmmmm :) west africa, i love west africa! i hope you enjoy the yummi peanut sauces down there. oh man i miss going shopping at the streetmarkets and talking with my hand and feet :roll: :wink: :lol:
    what are you doing there? how is the situation right now, can you go out on the streets at night without getting killed? are you in abidijan (or how ever they spell it......) about ten years ago i drove my motorcycle through the sahara down to senegal (where i crashed it :roll: ) to bad i didn't make it to the "elfenbeinkueste" like we germans call it. hope you are having a good time! take care!

14. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Bradwurst wanted me to post a few photos from the Ivory Coast for him. Here goes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andreas, yes he is in Abidjan. Brad is a pilot; he's down there flying (uh oh, I always get this wrong! :oops: ) Dash 7's (I think!) around for the United Nations. Well, whatever it is he's flying, this is what the engines look like at sunrise:
    [​IMG]

He's back just after Christmas, and then we're going somewhere in Northern Alberta some time in January (BRRR!!!!!) to fly back in this:

[​IMG]
    I'm stoked! 8) :D Unfortunately there's no room for kayaks in (or under!) it. I'm told that kayaks don't make for good floats. :roll: :evil:

15. Dan_Millsip

andreas, it's a Clipper Sea-1.

(I've moved the off-topic discussion about the Sea-1 to a thread of it's own.)

16. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

WOW! Brad, that first shot especially, is just stunning! No need for kayaks there though...couldn't get them into the water!

17. andreas

andreas Paddler

@mark:

you guys are flying a piper from alberta to bc in winter??? 8O you know this thing doesn't realy have a heater inside, do you? :lol: not even talking about bordservice, washroom and tv screen :wink: :lol:
    man o man you are nuts :wink: ...... let me know how it went, i wish i could be in your seat!

btw, these waves are something else 8O

18. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Actually it's not a Piper, it's a Aeronca Cheif. But yeah, no heater (or electrics of any kind - we have to spin the prop to start her up!), washroom, or in-flight movies. It will, however, feature a full-time tour of the cockpit (I'll have my own steering wheel!) 8O. Hey, I wonder if Air Bradwurst has any of those honey roasted peanuts? I love those things. :p

19. andreas

andreas Paddler

ok ok it's NOT a piper :roll:

20. Dan_Millsip

Mark, you'd better take Andreas' nose warmer with you on that flight -- you'll need it. :p