WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - December 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by VanIslePaddler, Dec 7, 2010.

1. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Re: Where did you paddle December 2010

Nice! :big_thumb

3. AM

AM Paddler

Wow, no nose plugs! Great sunset shots.

4. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

You make it look easy.

5. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

AWESOME Liam - you inspire me to get out there and keep working on my skills! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :yikes:

6. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

That is an awesome video....you do make it look easy.....thanks for the prework entertainment.

7. waverider

waverider Paddler

:clap: :clap: :clap: great vid, and music was a perfect match.

8. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Thanks folks!

9. Mariner Chuck

Mariner Chuck Paddler

Great video, Liam! :clap:
    How long have you been using a Greenland paddle? Is it your primary paddle these days?

10. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

I built that paddle two years ago... Mostly did it as a "why-not" novelty... see what all the fuss was about.

But as soon as I tried it... I havent gone back (accept for a few surf/tidal rapid sessions). My fancy Werner Pro-Core Graphite Bent Shaft Kallista, simply sits on my back deck as a spare. Two years, about 225 on-water days, with that paddle. I've paddled PortHardy-Tofino, and Circumnavigated Moresby (HaidaGwaii) with that chunk of western red cedar.

Its done me well. All the issues I used to get with bursitus in shoulder, and tendonitus in wrists have never come back. It helped a number of paddling techniques finally "click" and take hold... it facilitated my learning.

A GP paddle is not for everyone... or for every situation (the right tool for the right job)... but I must say... I'm a believer. :)

11. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

hear here!

12. Mariner Chuck

Mariner Chuck Paddler

Thanks for the info, Liam--I've been curious about Greenland paddles for some time and your testimony just may be the nudge I need to try my own "why not" experiment. :big_thumb

13. North_Pol

North_Pol Paddler

Lucky to have open water in December.

Great quality Video showing your beautiful area and skills would be nice to add some shots showing your full boat.

Might have to hire an assistant.

Looking forward to see more of your vids :popcorn: !

Cheers

14. explorermike

explorermike Paddler

Wow, a GP experience that matches mine in a lot of ways...
    After I made a first GP, couldn't stop playing with them for the next 5 yrs. It was such a wonderful learning tool. Just in the last year have I come back to using a big werner again, and must admit it's the bomb in it's own way. Now I like both kinds equally, and choose based on what I'm going paddling for.

Still, have had friends that tried GP's and didn't find them appealing. It all depends on what the paddler desires from / appreciates in the paddle.

Mike

15. AM

AM Paddler

I got a reminder today of how fast conditions change. I had just launched from Jericho when I realized that I had left my watch behind at the put in. I turned around, got out of the boat, and spent about ten minutes retracing my steps around the boat racks. Finding the watch, I returned to the beach.

To my surprise, in that ten minute interval the calm conditions had changed completely. The wind was whistling in the rigging of the sailboats and there were white caps all across English Bay to the West End. I launched and began paddling downwind towards Point Grey, catching several decent surfs along the way. By Spanish Bank, things had settled down quite a bit, and by the time I turned to round Point Grey, things were reasonably calm.

I was amazed that such rough conditions could come up in such a short time and over such a short fetch (it's 2 miles from Jericho to the West End). I marked the time on my watch -- 9:45 am. Here's what Pt. Atkinson reads for that time:

A good reminder to keep a weather eye open!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Attached Files:

16. Dan_Millsip

Got out for a paddle on this fabulous December afternoon with ebluethner. We decided (a bit late in the day) to head up to Hayward Lake and got on the water around 2:00 -- this would give us about 2 1/2 hours but that was just fine -- it was a stellar day and although a bit on the cold side, it was quite comfortable when in the sunshine. We didn't have time to paddle the entire lake (the parking lot closes at 4:30, and it would be dark by then anyway) but we managed to paddle at a leisurely pace to the dam and about halfway down the lake before returning to the boat launch at 4:00. It was a very enjoyable day on the water.

On the way to the lake I realized that I had forgotten my camera, so all the photos here were taken with my iPhone.

A new sign at the boat launch... I figured if the near future was this dismal there wasn't much point in wearing my drysuit and PFD. I might as well take a last deep breath and jump in the lake.:

Leaving the boat launch as two kayakers were getting off the lake:

Paddling under the roadway to the dam:

The dam at the end of Stave (and Hayward) Lake:

Taking a peek underneath the dam:

Elsa giggling about something in front of distant snow-covered mountains:

Looking down the lake:

Attached Files:

17. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Feels good to see someone getting out, boats floating on the water sunshine in the air,,,(-:

18. Dan_Millsip

Well this is timely -- on page A4 of today's Sun newspaper, there's an article regarding the sign that I posted above.

It seems that signs like this one and other similar signs are popping up around BC warning about the dangers of everyday life. In the article, columnist, Pete McMartin, concludes "Can we all learn to work more safely around the home, and take better care of ourselves? Sure. But the ubiquity of the warnings to do so, and the fear inherent in them, have gone past prudence and into the territory of pathological."

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the ridiculousness of the wording.

19. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Stupid sign, for sure. One emphasizing the need to wear a PFD (or similar specific caution) I can see the value in. It is now common for state marine boards, with the assistance of a manufacturer, to set up bins with PFD's for kids at boating sites, showing a sign: "Kids don't float." That is appropriate. The Oregon program: http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/BoatFac/News ... 9.pdf?ga=t

Down on page 4.

20. Dan_Millsip

Ah, the last day of 2010...

I manage to get one last paddle in on what happened to be an absolutely fabulous day at Widgeon Creek. It was sunny and cold, and there was a bit of ice (sort of) blocking the way near the entrance to the creek, but best of all -- there was no one else there. That's right, it was a glorious sunshiny day and I was about a half hour drive and a half hour paddle away from approximately 2 million people and I had the whole place entirely to myself. This is why I love living where I do.

Snow covered mountains east of Pitt Lake, viewed from the entrance to Widgeon Creek:

Rising and falling tide creates a layer of suspended ice at the high tide line:

Looking up Widgeon Valley:

Lots of snow on the lower mountains:

At the first turn into Widgeon Creek there was a fair bit of ice about 1/4 inch thick but I didn't have any problem getting through. Once I passed this location, the creek was ice-free all the way to the campsite:

Shadowy reflection. It's about 6 or 7 feet deep here. The water is icy cold and very clear. There was ice pretty much along the shoreline for the entire way:

I've always wanted a nice photo of a feather floating on the water and I've taken at least a hundred (and possibly hundreds) of them but have never got one that I thought was really cool and interesting. Today was different:

A young eagle watches me as I drift past:

A salmon slowly swims up alongside me as I paddle up the creek:

It swam underneath the kayak and stayed there until I moved... I suspect it was looking for refuge from the eagles. It looked pretty beat up and I was a bit surprised to see it up here so late in the year. Judging how battered it looked and by how slow it was swimming, I doubt that it will see 2011:

Merganser:

Drifting along the creek with the freshly snow capped mountains of Golden Ears Park in the background:

Close-up of Blanshard Peak:

An immature bald eagle (they don't have white feathers until their fourth or fifth year):

This bald eagle (the same one as in the earlier photo) is probably in it's fourth or fifth year as it still has some dirty colouring on it's head and tail feathers:

It was nice to end the year off with a quiet day. Just the sounds of nature giving way for some contemplation. It's been a really great year -- one of my kids went away to university, and the other two are doing exceptionally well in school and a host of other activities. I didn't get as much paddling in as I'd have liked but with all the other things that are got going on, I didn't do too badly (would have preferred a few more bag nights).

The highlight trip this year by far was to the Broughton with my wife and daughters, AstoriaDave and Kayakwriter (and their wives), ebluethner, and Bruce McMorran, the owner of the Paddler's Inn. What a great time it was -- great scenery and the most fabulous group of people that one could hope to spend a week with. We laughed, we sang (some louder than others), learned of the local history (from the locals), ate like royalty, listened to the amazing quiet, got philosophical at times, paddled a whole lot, told stories that were true or should be true, paddled a whole lot more, and made friends with dolphins and each other. It's a trip that I'll not ever forget. Thank you to all who were there.

And a huge thank you to all that have visited the site over the past year -- it's been a real delight watching this little website that we set in this corner of the internet a few years ago grow into a real community of diverse and talented people who share their stories and their knowledge with each other to make paddling better for all of us. I like to think that this site benefits the paddling community and hope that it will continue to do so for a long time to come. Thank you all for being a part of it and all the best to you in the coming year.

Dan

Attached Files: