WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - February 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by sushiy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

I was going to take a lesson today, but my instructor's schedule did not work out, so I went to Lk. Union- Seattle's boater's lounge.

Hi from Emerald City.
    [​IMG]

I stoped by a beach to go bathroom and cameback to find a couple of ducks checking my kayak out.
    [​IMG]

Big house boat! If I made a few million...
    [​IMG]

Nothing is better than this after a few hours of paddling! ( I already had a margarita before this)
    [​IMG]

2. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Looked like a nice day for a paddle sushiy. Tough to beat a relaxing hot soak in a classic tub. 8)

Here are a few pics of our February paddling trip. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dmoose

dmoose Paddler

sushiy
    That tub is kewl and i wish i could afford a floating home too

batstar
    Those photos are stunning as well as the location and i know that aint red dear. Where is that and what kinda camera did you use

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yeah, thanks a lot, Art. Just when I was getting all excited about going back out to Clayoquot you go and post those. :p 8O Amazing shots - looks like a pretty good place to paddle in February! 8)

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That doesn't look at all like the Alberta that I've been to. :lol:

Sushi, the ducks are cool. Nice job of relaxing after a hard day on the water. :wink:

6. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

Thanks guys,

If you haven't guessed by now, the location is Costa Rica. The sea kayaking portion of our trip was at Playa Quesera at the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula. Surprisingly, ocean kayaking, in comparison to jungle kayaking, hasn't really caught on there as much since many areas are restricted to day use only or are located in national parks/sensitive wildlife habitats. Ocean paddling also takes a back seat to CR's world class river rafting.

dmoose,

The digital camera that we used on this trip is one that has been mentioned with some frequency on this site, a Canon IS2S. For the underwater shot, I used a Canon S400 paired with a Canon waterproof housing.

The huge abundance of wildlife and native flora and fauna in Costa Rica creates the perfect back drop for photography. It seemed like every time we looked around there was always something to shoot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark,

From a paddler’s perspective, CR doesn't come close to matching the diverse marine life that the PNW has to offer. Must have something to do with those cold Pacific currents. Yes, I admit that it is a terrific place to sunbath and snorkel and due to its geographical location and temperate climate, makes a great winter escape. That being said, the PNW in comparison, can't be beat for its sheer beauty, abundant sea life and convenient access. You guys and gals are lucky to have such a wonderful place in your own back yard. :)

Dan,

Yes, it sure is a far cry from the Alberta that we're familiar with. The morning when we flew out of Calgary it was -29 C and blowing snow. Talk about perfect timing. 8)

7. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

Totally awesome pics Art!

8. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I like the bats and the Basiliscus plumbifrons.
    Very cool Art!

Nice hot tub Sushi. Is it wood fired?

9. Rootman

Rootman Paddler

[​IMG]

Turner River, west Everglades, upriver of Chokoloskee Bay. Nearby, there's a 30-ft high Indian shell mound on the riverbank, a thousand years old or more. The river is named after the guide who brought the U.S Army up the river to burn villages in the 1850's, during the Third Seminole War.

10. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Art, you make me want to quit my job and just go. I can't wait to retire.

It can be. We tried some wood under neath, and it was too smokey, and cost too much. So we got this out door gas burner which has highest BTU, we still draw hot tap water from kitchen and burn the cast iron tub. It works great!!

11. Duncan2

Duncan2 Paddler

February Paddles

Went out twice last month. Links to photos are here:

North Alouette River

Buntzen Lake

I am glad it is warming up some, we will be out more.

Duncan

12. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

Heya Art & Sushey, Great piccies guys, Thank you for sharing.

Sushey, that hot tub makes me allmost want to move to a cold climate.
    :D