WHERE DID YOU PADDLE - February 2016

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by LAM, Feb 8, 2016.

1. LAM

LAM Paddler

Put in at Grant Narrows this morning and paddled up to Raven Creek on Pitt Lake. It was a gorgeous day and the water was very calm.

There was a bit of fog but it lifted pretty quick.

I am trying out a Tahe Marine today. So far I like it! Lots!

We came across a huge flock (?) of swans today on the lake. There must have been 100 - 150 of them. This next picture is not great but gives an idea of how many there were.

They took off in a few large groups and the noise of their wings in the water was so fantastic! What a real treat today.

Had little fire and roasted some wieners and made a cup of coffee. The sun felt so nice.

Heading back to Grant Narrows.

Such an awesome day!!

Lila

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Great photos, Lila, and what weather you had. We have swans overwintering on the Columbia River every year, also. Otherwise, they are absent. Like you, I love seeing them. They make such a racket when they take off.

3. designer

designer Paddler

Nice greenland style boats. I'm envious of the low back deck. But then my "station wagon" is a gear hauler.

Thank you for sharing the photos and adventure. What model is the white/black kayak?

4. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

Designer,
    The black/white kayak is a Tahe Marine Greenland with an ocean cockpit. Lila is thinking of buying it and the seller was nice enough to let her hold onto it for a week to test it out and take to the pool for a rolling session. So far she's diggin' it.
    Doug

5. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Great pics. Love the look of both boats but that Tahe black and white looks like some samurai weapon, awesome.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Went to Center Hill Lake (TN) on Saturday, and attempted to reach Fanchers Falls. Some may recall my trip last Fall to Burgess Falls, when we had to stop and beach the boats and hike to the Falls because the water level was too low as we approached and the creek turned into rapids. I called the ranger station a few weeks ago and spoke with a helpful guy who told me that they are keeping the water level low in the lake due to construction work on the dam, so it probably won't be possible to paddle to Burgess Falls until sometime in 2017. But, he said, I could reach the other falls most days. He sent me a map with the falls marked.

So Saturday I set off too paddle to Fanchers Falls. I was a little concerned when I launched, as a fisherguy told me that he doubted I'd make it, as the water level was unusually low. It really was, as you can see.
    [​IMG]

But I pressed on. I figured it was worth trying! Here I am setting out.
    [​IMG]

Once I turned into Taylor Creek, it became clear that I probably wasn't going to make it. These mud bars started turning up.
    [​IMG]

Here is where I gave up the ghost. It was rapids ahead, and unlike last time, when it was rock underfoot, this time it was sucking mud. So I parked the boat on a mud bar and hoofed it.
    [​IMG]

Wasn't an easy hike, as there was no trail and it was slick and unlevel walking on the hill next to the creek. But pretty!

At last, the Falls! I couldn't get very close, but close enough. :)

All my pix of the falls are too tall for the forum, and resizing is a pain, but here is a little video: http://vid210.photobucket.com/albums/bb ... olzsda.mp4

After I admired the Falls, I headed back to the boat, returned to the main river, and hung a right, as I hadn't gone anywhere near far enough yet. I went up river a bit, had lunch, and then headed back. Of COURSE by then the wind had picked up and despite have the slight current with me, I had the wind against me LOL. It's my special curse! :)

All in all, a good day on the water!

Here is the trip map.
    [​IMG]

7. Bluenose

Bluenose Paddler

First paddle of 2016. First decent weekend day to get out. The weather has been abnormally mild for this time of year. Went to Chester, Nova Scotia just to get out and clear the cobwebs. Air 8 degree Celsius, water 3 degrees.

8. creatovana

creatovana New Member

hey,,has anyone tried kayaking on the Nam Ou river in Luang Prabang , Laos?