WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - January 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan_Millsip, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Considering the recent weather, today turned out to be fantastic day for a paddle. The sun was out, there was no wind, and although it was a bit cold, it wasn't uncomfortable.

Met up with riverman and waverider at Deep Cove and we paddled south down Indian Arm towards Dollarton before investigating a deep water ship that was anchoured in Burrard Inlet, and ended up at Admiraly Point before checking out some of the recent wind damage as we headed back to Deep Cove.

waverider approaches the anchoured ship:
    [​IMG]

We came across this canoe that must have been blown off of someone's dock:
    [​IMG]

This fellow in the wheelhouse seemed a bit bored:
    [​IMG]

These ships are really...
    [​IMG]

BIG:
    [​IMG]

Trees had fallen on this cabin near Belcarra Park during last night's storm:
    [​IMG]

Underneath this fallen tree near Whiskey Cove is what used to be a Hobie Cat sailboat:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to riverman and waverider for a terrific day.

2. jagir

jagir Paddler

no paddlin

due to the crap weather and tonnes of rain, 2 of my trips have been post-poned - the destinations have been swamped.

3. Dan_Millsip

Too bad about your trips, jagir. Where were you planning to go?

Last night, Steve, IanC, waverider and I, met for a night paddle around False Creek. We had perfect weather -- mild and no rain. Had a lot of chuckles and saw a few interesting things along the way.

Heading towards the Burrard Street bridge. I'm not sure who is in the photo at mid left:
    [​IMG]

Ian checking out a sunken boat underneath Monk's restaurant:
    [​IMG]

Waverider in front of Science World:
    [​IMG]

Heading back:
    [​IMG]

4. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Nice photos Dan... While watching one of the TITS videos with Nigel Foster paddling the Seattle waterfront he remarks on the differences of paddling the urban landscape. Photos like yours showcase how much interest there would be in paddling what we might normally discount.

Brad

5. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Went to Beazley Passage/Surge Narrows with an instructor-guide and five others to tackle the currents off that part of the east coast of Quadra Island. Flood peaked at 7.2 knots so nothing horrific but it was exhilarating to be shown by an expert what one should aspire to - and then crash and burn trying to do it. A few "combat rolls" (rolls that I didn't intend to have to do) and rather more practice rolls in the froth and flow. Managed to stay upright in a small whirlpool that formed briefly. Really great fun. I love Quadra. It was my third visit to this site. One day I would like to try it when the flood is running really fast. The max flood is about 11.8 knots on one day in mid-April but that's just silly.

I need to work on my low brace though, to make it more instinctive and rapid.

Weather was miserable but who cares!

6. Dan_Millsip

Did a night paddle last night at Port Moody with a few people that I work with. It was an excellent time and we all enjoyed ourselves paddling around ships and oil refineries. Lots of seals at the log booms -- many of them following us for quite a ways.

I've never paddled at Port Moody during the day, but it sure makes a terrific night paddling destination.

(Didn't have my camera with me but one of the other fellows did -- I'll see if I can get some photos to post, if they turned out).

7. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

Hi Dan, Great piccies - again. - beautiful place.

Robin (my wife) & I had a day paddle here on Saturday. Place is called Burrum Heads.

We took our TK1s for a walk & a picnic on the beach on the North Shore.

couple of piccies might warm ya up. :D

Robin checkin out the fish life.
    [​IMG]

Pulling in to North Shore,

[​IMG]

Picnic & cool off swim. :D Burrum Heads is in background.

[​IMG]

8. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Sounds like a lot of fun! I've been up to that area a few times to paddle but I was very much a novice paddler then, and really didn't know much about support strokes etc. I'm looking forward to getting back up there to play in the currents some time! But it won't be for a while yet; I've just had laser eye surgery (wow! It's amazing at what I've been missing out on all this time!) and am not allowed to go paddling for at least 3 months as the eyes heal. But I'll be back on the water before the best months are here!

9. Dan_Millsip

I spent a very enjoyable day paddling up Widgeon Creek in the fog. It was loads of fun. And for the second time in the same week, I forgot my camera so there won't be any pictures. :oops:

But regardless of how enjoyable the paddle was today, I'd rather be paddling where HairyMick paddles. 8)

10. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

Heya Dan, Thanks mate but it is not all beer & skittles here. We are experiencing the worst drought in history with another el nino apparently on the way.

Dust Storm,
    [​IMG]

11. Dan_Millsip

I heard you were having some problems in Oz with forest fires -- we had 40 firefighters from here who headed down under to lend a hand.

FWIW: our weather here has been pretty out of the ordinary this year.

12. hairymick

hairymick Paddler

Hi Dan,

The bush fires were mainly in the southern part of the country, in Tasmania, Victoria and southern New South Wales. We had a lot of very welcome help from overseas including you guys - thank you.

Most of the fresh water resources in South East Queensland - where I live are below 25% capacity with no relief in sight. There has been no significant rain here to fill our dams in years and the regular monsoonal wet seasons we used to get seem to be a thing of the past.

13. Dan_Millsip

OK, I take it back -- I'm happy paddling right where I am. :?

Seriously, too bad about your drought problems. Hope you get some rain soon, Mick.

14. Baysel

Baysel Paddler

This January Ive done a night paddle at Port Moody once and the Chilliwack river a bunch of times. Gotta justify that new dry suit.