WHERE DID YOU PADDLE - January 2009

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by mikec, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Oh, boy! Those are nice fog photos, Comox and Jill.

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Mick and I headed over to Nanaimo early yesterday morning to attend the first directors meeting of the BC Marine Trail Network (Mick and I are directors). Since the meeting was held at one of the directors homes which was only half a block from the water, we decided to paddle over from the ferry. Access to the water from Departure Bay is quite good (easier than Swartz Bay) -- a short 600 meter walk from the ferry to the nearby boat launch and we were on our way to the meeting.

After the meeting, a bunch of us decided to go for a paddle around Nanaimo Harbour. We started by first going around Jesse Island (better known as "Dog" island) and then around Newcastle Island before stopping for dinner at a floating pub off of Protection Island for dinner.

We arrived back at the boat launch near the ferry terminal well after dark, and after what turned out to be a terrific day.

At the boat launch near the Departure Bay ferry terminal:
    [​IMG]

Heading out after the meeting:
    [​IMG]

The canine protector of Jesse Island -- he's not nearly as nice as he appears:
    [​IMG]

The big dog's little sidekick:
    [​IMG]

Lots of cool places to explore around Jesse Island:
    [​IMG]

This fellow was checking us out as we rounded Newcastle Island:
    [​IMG]

3. THR

THR Paddler

Hello all,

We paddled out of Deep Cove on sunday. We had a beautiful sunny day breaking through 1/2 inch thick ice. Honestly, it was one of the best and most unique experiences I have had paddling in the cove in the past 12 years...

Here's a pic and short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVrMJgI ... annel_page

[​IMG]

4. nootka

nootka Paddler

That's one way to make a balance brace look easy!

5. GordB

GordB Paddler

It looks like the ice was thicker on Sunday.

I and two friends were out there Saturday and it was about 1/4 to 3/8 ths inch thick.

Sounded like dragging the boats over gravel.

6. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I am sure that qualifies as Werner paddle abuse. :lol: :lol: Kewl video, thanks for posting.

7. THR

THR Paddler

Gord,

Do you guys all paddle skeg boats? I thought i saw you paddle by my place mid saturday? I'm up in woodlands.

8. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I heard that 'RealNorth Water' may come out with a new accessory for seakayakers:

12" of 3"x3" sharpened angle iron that clips to the bow stem for those ice cutting occasions.

But Darren McQuitty will instead have a solar panel deck with a bow mounted solar powered hair dryer facing forward.

And if Houston were still around, she'd just smile and anything within 20' would melt.

9. Dan_Millsip

LOL. That's just so true.

I paddled on the Alouette River a few winters ago when the ice was about 3/8" thick -- I couldn't believe how loud it was when you break through it. Lots of fun though.

Funny that Deep Cove would freeze over -- is there a lot of fresh water running into it? How far out did the ice go?

If this cold weather continues, I just may have to head over there to do a little ice breaking myself. 8)

10. THR

THR Paddler

Hey Dan,

Most of the Arm north from the Cove is frozen and covered with a thin 1/4" layer of ice. There is usually a "boat channel" cut out by the local commuters. If you have the time, I recommend checking it out...but don't forget your ear plugs...it can get pretty loud in the thick stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. GordB

GordB Paddler

Yes we do.
    Joan had her Nordkapp LV, Eric his Currituck and me in my Nordkapp.

We went up to Camp Jubilee had some lunch, crossed over and paddled back behind the Twins and Raccoon and then back to the shop.

Got back at 5PM.

12. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

I enjoyed a great paddle from Mill Bay to Cherry Point and it was just a serene calm bathtub day. Not too much to report. The day was fairly cold, but once the sun broke through the clouds a bit, it warmed up just fine. The coastline here is all trees, cliffs and houses broken up by a few rocky beaches and docks. I got a little bit past cherry point before I turned around to beat the clock home. The paddle back to the take out was pretty amazing as I was catching that beautiful light right before sunset.. just as I was fully blissing out, I heard some yells and laughter out in Mill Bay.. there were three people in a little speed boat attempting to wakeboard! It's all in the blog below.

Some photos:

[​IMG]

The Launch couldn't have been much more friendly than this, the van is about 4 feet behind me. This launch was just south of the main city of Mill Bay.

[​IMG]

Some neat colored rocks at Whisky point.

[​IMG]

Remains of a ship and pilings scatter the beach in this little bay.

[​IMG]

Entering Cowichan bay. Just breathatking geography in the background..

[​IMG]

The water really settled down in the last leg of the paddle.

[​IMG]

A Trimaran in Mill Bay. The clouds began to push in again at about 16:30.

[​IMG]

Mill Bay's busy little marina. a few people were enjoying a campfire of all wet wood along the shore.

Wish you were there :)

-Rich

13. THR

THR Paddler

I thought that was the case...i was spying on you from my deck.. :lol: I remember saying to my wife, "hey those guys have as much sweet gear as me"
    :lol: :lol:

let me know next time you roll by...

14. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Another neat vid, THR - thanks! It's cool having to 'break trail' in a sea kayak! :lol:

15. elmo

elmo Paddler

Brentwood to Bamberton, and also Caboro Bay to Cattle Point.

I was already loaded up so why not go for two paddles in one day. :idea:

16. SteveD

SteveD Paddler

Paddled Cultus Lake yesterday am - Cultus is at the East end of the Fraser River valley in western BC. It was cold and very misty early in the day but the mist did slowly clear and the sun eventually came out for a while.

There's still quite a bit of washout debris floating on the lake, aftermath from the big winter weather event of a couple of weeks ago. There's also a brand new gully and creek on the Vedder mountain side, carved out by the huge run off water flow.

I had a chance to take some pictures with my newly acquired Pentax Optio W60 - a neat little camera!

SteveD

Misty Morning
    [​IMG]

Needle Point
    [​IMG]

Lunch Stop
    [​IMG]

New Creek (courtesy of our last winter storm)
    [​IMG]

17. waverider

waverider Paddler

SteveD wrote: I had a chance to take some pictures with my newly acquired Pentax Optio W60 - a neat little camera!

Yes indeed the Pentax Optio w60 is a really cool little camera, I am very happy with mine as well.

Here are some photos from a paddle the other day on Widgeon creek ....

camp site at Widgeon creek
    [​IMG]

the start of a new beaver dam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Dan_Millsip

SteveD, this is a really stunning photo. Nice catch.

Waverider, I nice underwater beaver lodge photos. I assume that water levels at Widgeon Creek are up a bit right now?

19. waverider

waverider Paddler

Dan wrote: Waverider, nice underwater beaver lodge photos. I assume that water levels at Widgeon Creek are up a bit right now?

Thanks Dan, that beaver dam is half way up the creek and might pose a problem down the road for the creek and users of the creek ( if the beaver continues to add on to it, I would have asked but no one was home at the time)

As for the water level, yes it is running at a good height , had a hard time finding any good pull outs to have a coffee ( some off the normally sandy spots are still covered in snow )

20. SteveD

SteveD Paddler

Dan Millsip wrote: SteveD, this is a really stunning photo. Nice catch.

Praise indeed coming from you Dan, thanks! It looked like a good photo' op' but it was such a beautiful morning, great for taking that kind of picture.

Waverider wrote: Yes indeed the Pentax Optio w60 is a really cool little camera.

I'm quite pleased with it Mark, I've been using a Canon A40 for the past few years and this is just so nice and handy, I have it on a lanyard around my neck and just stuff it inside my PFD.

I liked your underwater shots, I haven't used it for that purpose yet but it's certainly one of the reasons I bought it.

SteveD