WHERE DID YOU PADDLE - January 2016

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by LAM, Jan 10, 2016.

1. LAM

LAM Paddler

We took advantage of yet another gorgeous day and put the kayaks in Alouette River at the Harris Road Bridge. Paddled up Alouette to the Pitt River.

We paddled up past the Pitt Bridge and past the Rail Road Trestle. There is a Tower that used to run the old Pitt River Swing Bridge sitting on a barge not far past the trestle.

The water was so calm it was a great day for reflection. :lol:

Lots of Eagles out today.

Lila

2. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Nice. What a great day for a paddle.

3. mikec

mikec Paddler

i lovely new years day, on the north shore the the gulf of St-Lawrence near Port-Cartier, Quebec. Enjoy!

4. chodups

chodups Paddler

Great images!

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Absolutely!

6. mikec

mikec Paddler

thanks! we got lucky, some neighbours of mine who live down the beach from me happen to be those of the amateur nigh-professional photographer types. They snapped all of the above pics and kindly donated them to me for free. Best kayaking photos of me that I have ever had taken, and it's not even close. Heck I don't EVER take photos nor to I even own a camera other than the one found on my IPhone lol.

7. chodups

chodups Paddler

Great composition.

8. 49north

49north Paddler

I launched "Limey", a new Delta 16 in bright green, at the Vancouver Maritime Museum for a simple shake-down paddle up False Creek. Still getting used to the idea of a kayak made of the same material as my kitchen drainpipe, and learned a few things. Plastic is nicely lightweight and reasonably stiff and the boat handles great. Getting it on and off the car is a learning experience. The boat sticks to other plastic (the padding on my roof rack) but is slippery in bare hands. Almost dropped it a couple of times. Fortunately I recently added a Thule Outrigger to the roof rack; a great invention that helps a lot.
    Came across a sunken sailboat just underwater at high tide. Likely a victim of recent high winds. Now that the city has banned long-term anchoring in the Creek, a lot of boats have moved out to English Bay, and are exposed to storm winds. This ghostly apparition looks distressingly like a San Juan 24 I used to own; a sad sight.

9. LAM

LAM Paddler

Another beautiful day to get out for a paddle. We put in at Kanaka Creek and went across the Fraser River, up the channel between McMillan Island and Fort Langley, around the top of McMillan and back across the Fraser to Kanaka Creek. Just over 13 K. Fought a bit of a current on the way up but got to ride it on the way back.

Lila

10. chodups

chodups Paddler

Love the images of the footbridge and the take out. Nicely done.

11. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

Ah! I saw you guys going around the bend on Kanaka Creek just before that footbridge. We were picking up the wood for Ana's new paddle just up the road and the guy was a bit late, so we were walking around the park to pass the time :)

12. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Hi folks,
    It's been months since I've browsed the forums, and months more since I've posted here. However, I just though I'd add that I got out for a paddle yesterday, January 30th. A friend and I launched our kayaks on the South Saskatchewan River and went for a few kilometers of leisurely paddling through Saskatoon. It was an unseasonably warm day with bright sunshine and no winds. According to Environment Canada, yesterday's high was -1.7°C, superbly warm but actually a few degrees cooler than it had been the previous few days, but not so windy was it was.

I didn't bring a camera so have no photos to share. However, I did take a few when I was out in December and late November so I'll share a few of those instead. Also, there were a number of people I noticed along shore taking pictures (a couple of kayaks paddling the South Sask in late January is quite an oddity) so maybe some photos will turn up.

Cheers,
    Bryan

Out by myself in late November when the river was just starting to freeze up and lots of ice pans were floating downriver:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The most ice I've ever paddled through:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My launch/landing site had a bit more ice than usual (yesterday there was practically no ice here):
    [​IMG]

I paddled up onto the ice to get out:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for a few photos from early December when I went out with a couple of friends. Joe & Jeff posing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sandbar south of Saskatoon where we decided to take a break:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe & I practiced our rolling:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

p.s. I just realized that I have paddled outdoors every month since March of 2015. That's kind of a big deal considering I live and paddle in the center of the Canadian prairies.

13. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Great pics everyone