WHERE DID YOU PADDLE - January 2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by alexsidles, Jan 20, 2017.

1. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

My first paddle this year was also my first campout of the year. My brother and I paddled from West Seattle to nearby Blake Island and camped Sunday night. The breeze was slight, the sun was bright, and the air was crisp. We had a wonderful time hiking the maze of trails through the island's interior.

To our surprise, there were several powerboats anchored offshore, and one small group even spent the night on the island. We thought we were the only ones fanatic enough to camp in the January cold. A ranger even came by to check for payments.

We saw seven species of mammal on this short, urban paddle: California and Stellar's sea lions, harbor seal, harbor porpoise, river otter, raccoon, and mule deer. The raccoon and deer were especially tame.

Alex

2. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Looks great Alex, it's great to get out even if it's a short trip close to home.

I took the morning off of work on Thursday and went for a paddle on the South Saskatchewan. For those familiar with Saskatoon, I launched a few hundred meters below the weir, at the fire department's boat launch. The launch area itself was icy with a good ice shelf up several inches above water level, but there was a sandy area nearby that was shallow enough to allow me to get out of the kayak and stand up in shallow water when I was done, rather than having to surmount that ice shelf, which was just a little too far above the water. That ice shelf was present in a lot of areas, but there were also areas with ice at water level that I was able to paddle up onto and would have allowed good emergency egress, and other areas where the ice along shore was less or such that I could get readily off of the water, even if those areas weren't so convenient for parking.

It was a nice paddle with little to no wind, overcast and about 0°C or just above. Unlike my paddle in December, thanks to the warmer weather there was no ice build up on my kayak, gear, and self.

Happy paddling,
    Bryan

3. LAM

LAM Paddler

Inspired by the trip reports posted by Alex and Bryan, Doug and I got out for a paddle today despite the rainy forecast. We paddled up Widgeon Creek to the campsite. We saw one bald eagle, four juvenile eagles, and a pair of swans. We had planned on cooking some hotdogs at the campsite but it was pretty wet by the time we got up there, so we headed back and had the hotdogs at home.

Lila