WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? JULY 07

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rider, Jul 2, 2007.

1. rider

rider Paddler

Woo hoo i get to go first.
    I paddled from the galiano terminal through the active pass to Swartz bay terminal, with an overnighter on saltspring. I interpreted the graph on WXTide to mean the current will flood starting at 11 ish,peak just before 3 and even out around 6. So naturally i was going to take advantage of it. get off the ferry at 9:30, paddled out to rip point, started heading back into the pass and realized i am going against a strengthening current. I went along the galiano side, used some eddies to my advantage and got to this beach where i had a nice long break till 3:30 or so and i thought current weakened a bit. the current in the eddy had a 2mph pull towards the point...first,bumpy water, then swirly water and then i got sucked into the main current and into the standing waves that form for a few minutes after a ferry goes by. paddling for dear life i got back into the beach,waited another hour, and on 3rd attempt i got through around the point and eventually got out of the pass. Made camp on saltspring and had a great sleep except for the mosquitos . then paddled around russel island and to swartz bay. Now....does anybody have an idea what was that dead thing i saw in the water (the pic is of it upside down, right side up it kind of looks like a foot long cockroach)
    I left the Elaho at home this time and took the old necky gannet i bought for 400 bucks 2 weeks ago and did some outfitting work to it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey Mark, is this what became of that decrepit wooden sailboat i remember seeing at that spot last year?
    [​IMG]

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

3. waverider

waverider Paddler

Well I'll be darned, I can't believe that sail boat is still there, that is the one we saw on the Portland Island trip earlier this year.
    Nice picture by the way, Rider.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Did a paddle today with Robert and Mark from Delta Kayaks that I've wanted to do for some time -- the Fraser River from Mission to Fort Langley. We did a vehicle shuttle for the one-way trip. The 24 km trip took us 3 1/2 hours at a leisurely pace, taking time to take lots of photos and check out anything that looked interesting. For most of the trip, we were paddling along at 10 km/hr and hardly paddling. Not paddling we were being swept by the current at about 6.5 km/hr!

rider, as we paddled by the LaPointe I noticed some people on board so I paddled over -- turned out it was the owner and his parents -- they're fixing it up just to have a cool place to "hang out". He said it would be a long time (and a lot of money) to restore the tug back to running condition so in the meantime they're going to fix it to a point where they can enjoy it where it is. I chatted with the owner for quite some time (while paddling to hold my position against the current) and he told me quite a few interesting things about the history of that boat. It was built in England in 1906 (older than the Titanic) and came to BC in 1909 where it spent most of it's lifetime working between the Charlottes and the top of Vancouver Island. The owner invited me back to talk more about the tug -- I'm going to take him up on it.

The entire paddle from Mission to Fort Langley was quite pleasant -- there's lots to see along the way but the most predominant thing about the trip was the water levels -- the Fraser is still very swollen.

I'll post some photos in the next while.

5. Dan_Millsip

Here's a few photos of our Mission to Fort Langley trip on the Fraser last Monday.

Heading under the Mission Bridge:
    [​IMG]

Looking back at Matsqui Island:
    [​IMG]

Decrepit BC Ferry, Queen of Sidney:
    [​IMG]

Old fishing vessel beside the BC Ferry:
    [​IMG]

Robert paddling past the Queen of Sidney:
    [​IMG]

Mark from Delta Kayaks:
    [​IMG]

There are a few good cars along the banks or the Fraser:
    [​IMG]

The LaPointe is tied up just east of the Fort Langley Airport (it's currently being restored):
    [​IMG]

A reminder that we're still in the Fraser Valley:
    [​IMG]

Arriving at Fort Langley:
    [​IMG]

6. chodups

chodups Paddler

I'll tell you in August.
    What I really want to know if I can look forward to buying DarrenM a beer in Shearwater.

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I have no clue what my plans are in regard to our annual Aug trip....
    He have done no planning whatsoever... I don't even know if DaveB will be back on the island by then.

Might end up just doing a long weekend in the broken group.

8. rider

rider Paddler

.....And the peculiar thing is that the difference between this ferry and some still in service is a coat of paint.
    Too bad it sounds like the owner of la pointe doesn't have the cash to put it in a drydock for a bit and restore the hull.
    BTW, i remember finding something about a fishing vessel named La Pointe being stripped of valuable gear,sunk and then refloated by court order, from back in 50s i think but that was from east coast i think so must've been a different boat. "our" la pointe must've been a pretty skookum boat if it operated in the charlottes and didn't end up like Clarksdale Victory.

9. Dan_Millsip

It would make a great mothership. 8)

10. Dan_Millsip

Yesterday, I paddled with my two eldest kids in the Nicomekl River from Elgin Park to Crescent Beach. This was the maiden voyage of our new Delta 18 -- we just picked it up a couple of days prior -- my son really likes this kayak.

My son in the new kayak:
    [​IMG]

Heading under the train trestle at the entrance to the Nicomekl:
    [​IMG]

Gulls on the sandbar:
    [​IMG]

These birds were only a few feet away from my daughter -- I've no idea what kind of birds they are but they flew in perfect formation, each of them turning at lightning speeds all at once. It was very similar to the way schools of fish turn similtaneously:
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the birds:
    [​IMG]

Putting spray skirts on after a short break at Blackie Spit to stretch our legs:
    [​IMG]

My daughter paddling back towards the train trestle:
    [​IMG]

A trip to the Nicomekl is just not complete without a photo of a blue heron:
    [​IMG]

11. waverider

waverider Paddler

I had the chance to Meet up with Steve from the Valley for a paddle on Harrison Lake today, we had a hard time finding anywhere to land as the lake is still well above normal water levels, even Rainbow Falls beach was "missing"
    On the way back we were subjected to the lakes powerful winds! But as we both have paddled the lake before we were expecting it. :wink:

12. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

on Wednesday we did the Alouette (South) from Harris Rd to I'm guessing 1/2 km or so before 216th St. (Got to get me one of those fancy GPS do-dats so I know where I am like Dan) Sorry no super pics like the rest of you guys! :( Took around 4 hours including a lunch stop. Managed to impale my foot on a huge thorn when I took my shoes off to empty the sand out! :oops: But hey we had our first aid kit with us! :p
    That is a great river, I've never seen so many herons in such a short space of time, fabulous! Lots of other birds too that I didn't recognise (not for sure anyway). We'll be back to do the North section soon.
    Excellent beginner conditions for anyone whose interested, though the wind had gotten up and we had to work hard paddling back (even with the current with us). By the time we were headed back 1 - 2 km from the put in there were baby whitecaps, (really there were!) quite surprized us.
    Anyway a great afternoon, recommended to any beginners out there, avoid the wind by going earlier in the day I guess, we were out from around 12:00

13. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

Yeah windsurfing was awsome. I never did get the boat off the roof! :wink:

14. waverider

waverider Paddler

And Fine looking Yaks they were Woodensoul, and yes the lake was meant for the windsurfers, not the yaks!

So I wanted to test out my new paddle Sunday ( oh yeah I got myself a Cyprus Werner paddle on Saturday afternoon :D ) So I headed out to Lacarno for a early morning paddle, and headed out and around ubc to try my luck paddling up the north arm of the Fraser, wow what an awsome place, the wildlife and scenery was unreal, from eagles sitting on the log booms and a hundred or so seals popping up to investigate me ! dodging tug boats was a blast as well. even with strong winds and the last of the tide going out I made good progress ( all due to the paddle I'm sure 8) ) up the river. I will need to redue this trip when more time permits

15. Dan_Millsip

I went looking for the Ogopogo last weekend. Had the camera at the ready but to no avail. I did however, manage to paddle the entire shoreline of Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park and visit all the campsites along the lake (remember the big Okanagan fire a couple of years back? That's the place). Made for a very enjoyable day and an interesting paddle. A Paddling Location album is now in the works.

I stopped in and paddled Lightning Lake in Manning park on the way home -- what a beautiful spot -- it's only a few kilometres long, but absolutely stunning scenery all around. A Paddling Location album is now in the works for this location as well.

I also had the good fortune of sharing some time with Kasey and CandiKayak while on my search for the elusive serpent -- thanks to both of you for a terrific time.

16. Dan_Millsip

A few photos from Lightning Lake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot was taken from the Cascade Lookout, on the opposite side of the highway from the lake. Lightning Lake (part of it) is visible in the distance, center right. The buildings in the foreground are the Manning Park Lodge.
    [​IMG]

17. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Looks beautiful up there Dan! That must be the smallest island I've ever seen....having a tree growing on it is one of the criteria for calling it an island rather than a rock, no?! :wink: :D How tall is that tree?
    Kathy

18. Dan_Millsip

I don't know if it could be called an island -- the little tree (only a couple of feet high) was actually growing out of a mostly submerged log. I'm not sure if that qualifies for the official definition of an island, but I'm guessing that it doesn't. I thought it looked quite cool though.

Lightning Lake is a really pretty place -- I'd highly recommend stopping in of a quick paddle next time you're passing by there.

btw: the ground squirrel was at the boat launch - it was checking me out as I was loading my boat.

19. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Port Hardy to Burnett Bay, via Slingsby & Schooner chann

Sadly, I was monitoring the marine distress frequency on 156.8 mHz (ch. 16) on Tuesday, July 3rd and heard about the fellow who met his end just a few tens of miles south of where I was. On that day I was curled up "in bag" reading a book and listening to the wind lash the drizzle against my tent I had set up on the very south end of Burnett Bay --- with excellent protection against the south-easterlies that were prevailing, I might add.
    [​IMG]

Rather than screw around with trimming Picassa-derived image URL's, here's a link to my Picassa album. I have to rate this trip as only a partial success because on the third day (of a ten day trip) I stupidly dunked my digital camera, so I only have three days worth of pictures and of course the best things-to-photograph only began to appear on day four. Also, at this time, I only have the first day-and-a-half's worth of images, I'm waiting for buddy to email me the rest (long story), so if you want to wait a few days and see all of them, or look now and see only some, it's up to you:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/tomfromvan/Nakwakto_July_2007

20. rider

rider Paddler

This weekend i circumnavigated saturna,counterclockwise. camped on cabbage. Currents were there,but 90% of time they were pretty much a non issue. Neat whirpool in boat pass as current was flowing into winter cove. Came across a shipwreck, Robertson II 2 masted sailing schooner that ran up on rocks, aparently on canada day long weekend,at night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]