WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? JULY 07

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rider, Jul 2, 2007.

1. GWarner

GWarner Paddler

Rat's! I'm new at this and some how I've sent the picture into the void that is the internet. I'll try again. But first I must explain the picture was shot with a shoe box camera fashioned the night before from junk found in the gravel parking lot where the rest of the crew slept while I toiled away building the camera. Yeah right! Actually I'm just a poor photog.
    Darn, I keep getting this rude message, The datatype application/octet-stream is not supported. I'll sort this out and try again.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I have a short video clip of a whirlpool as seen from under the water's surface. :oops:

Capsize footage :evil:

Edit: updated video URL.

3. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Congratulations as well Mike.... Do you do the British ratings for personal reasons Mike or do they help with attracting students (I believe that you mentioned that you teach for Ecomarine)?

Great pictures all and I await breathlessly for the video Darren (please do not feel pressured)...

Brad

4. mikec

mikec Paddler

i do it for personal reasons, i am more geared toward the physical accomplishment and sport side of sea kayaking, and I would definately say that the BCU system is more in tune with this than Paddle Canada, which is has more of a recrational/touring focus,

My goal is to coach all over the continent (and world), so BCU certs help in that repsect as well.

All that being said, I am also follwoing the Paddle Canada program for professional reasons, and in my humble opinion being exposed to different points of view and systems can only help one become a more well-rounded paddler. No John Dowd anti-certification rants here!

hehe

5. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

It will most likely be up by Thurs or Friday. Mark has some awesome on the water (and under the water!) footage that we will add to mine.

should be cool 8)

6. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

That looks so cool!! I want to be there someday. Maybe I can play at the edge of it? Gotta find some place to practice for it here in Puget Sound.
    I am already missing the Canadian water.

And those sea urchin looks so delicious :D Nothing is better than fresh sea urchin rhight off the shell.

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

When I saw those urchins in the water, I thought of you. :lol:

8. mikec

mikec Paddler

Deception Pass between Whidbey and Fidalgo is a great place to learn how to paddle in currents. Only go there with experienced paddlers!

Better yet, go there as part of a course, there are loads of organisations and paddling schools in WA that offer trips to that area

The Mountaineers, Kayak Academy, Body Boat Blade, Secondwind Sports, and more!

Closer to Seattle, you can have some fun playing at Tacoma Narrows ; n ote of caution, shipping traffic! And again, only in the company of experienced paddlers who know the area and that they are doing.

hope that helps!

mike

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

I totally missed this post..

COOL!!! 8)

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

There were so many of them it was amazing! I'd never seen that many all together. They were mostly between about 1 1/2 feet to about 10 feet deep I think, and I tried prying one off the rock with my paddle blade but the little guy didn't want to let go. How are they usually harvested and prepared? I've heard they're quite tasty but I've never tried one before.

11. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Mikec, I was thinking ( a lot)smaller place than D-Pass, even the Tac-Narrow. I go D-pass sometimes where only an hour and half drive away, but way off the pass where I can paddle on the calm water.
    Maybe if I go to a river mouth like Skykomish river mouth in Everret or somewhere, can I practice on the current without pushed forever or getting into a violent turbulance?

Mark, I always thought the urchin just sit there. I guess some urchin stack on the rock. In japan these female divers just dive and pick them up.
    How it prepared? Nothing! Just open it and scoop and eat the yellow urchin roe. I even don't use any soy sauce for it. Opening it... I ask my boss how he opens it. In winter it peaks the season and become more sweet ( I don't know why but in Japan, summer is the peak). In summer you might miss and tast slight bitterness. Taste and texture is like ... I would say savory custard, not the suger sweet but seafood sweetness. You make me hugry...

Darren, don't you think of me any other time? :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Mark

Excellent footage of your little mishap. Did you notice how the whirlpool seemed to work along your boat and then "stalled" at your bow. Presumably what we would have seen from above is your kayak capsizing and then falling into the whirlpool nosefirst and starting to rotate.

13. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yes, I noticed the whirlpool immediately before capsizing. I think I had one off my left front and another off the right rear. Since I couldn't brace both directions at once I chose one and immediately capsized into the other. I think that's why my on-side roll failed - the kayak was already moving into the current in front of me, which was from the right. Since my on-side roll is to the right, I was trying to roll against the current against my body. Had I been able to switch to an off-side it may have worked. Instead I waited for the boat to move around a bit before trying again; it didn't work so I wet-exited. By the time I was able to right the boat and get back in, I was a long way downstream. :evil:

14. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

15. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

robertson 11 information updates

found this website giving all kinds of info and updates on refloating the roberson 11:

http://www.bosunsmate.org/news/?action=detail&id=253

refloating is in progress now - hope they are successful. (the pic below is a few days old i think)

[​IMG]

16. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hey...just watching the BCTV news and it sounds like there will be a story on possibly this boat in a few minutes...at least I think it's maybe this boat!
    Kathy

17. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

like abelone, and limpets, urchins clamp down HARD when disturbed. use a blunt knife and quickly slip the tip under the critter and with a twist of the wrist and a flick you will have a tasty treat for your dinner.

one day in the brokens i picked a pocket full of limpets and ate 'em raw with a dash of salt. a bit chewy, but tasty none the less.

DarenN........

18. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Sea urchin roe actually tastes really good, you know --- if you're not bothered by a little gore in cleaning them. It's almost sweet-tasting, with a kind of buttery smooth texture. The individual eggs are so tiny it's more like a paste than a mass of eggs, reddish orange in color, and you get about a teaspoon from each urchin, maybe a tablespoon from the bigger ones. Fresh, it's a fabulously expensive Japanese cuisine...

19. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Just got back from a week-long anniversary cruise to Alaska with my wife...I've never wanted a Feathercraft so much in my life!! We did, however, manage to pay a ridiculous price (gotta support the locals, I suppose) to paddle on Chilkoot Lake in Haines.

The put-in:
    [​IMG]

Setting out (that's our guide):
    [​IMG]

The backdrop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We came across this salmon spawning pool:
    [​IMG]

Where hundreds of these little fishies were preparing next year's dinner:
    [​IMG]

Some action shots ;-) :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best part of paddling these waters was the ability to be completely soundless, enabling us to get close to the wildlife. I couldn't get this young fellow to smile for the camera:
    [​IMG]

But his friend was curious enough to stop ruffling his feathers to check us out:
    [​IMG]

Here are a few of the places I wished I had been able to paddle:

Somewhere along the way:
    [​IMG]

Tracy Arm Fjord:
    [​IMG]

Though you'd be hard-pressed to find a rest spot:
    [​IMG]

Well, maybe here with a HH:
    [​IMG]

Or here, without:
    [​IMG]

The source of all this ice; Sawyer Glacier:
    [​IMG]

Mendenhall Glacier:
    [​IMG]

20. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

Awesome pictures Jurfie --- I haven't ever heard of anybody paddling Chilkoot Lake before.