WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? JULY 07

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rider, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I met up with Dan and his two eldest kids in the Deer Group. I managed to squeeze 6 glorious days of paddling in as they made their way around the islands for 10 days.

On Sunday, I branched out from the group for a solo paddle out to the Cape Beale lightstation, which marks the south-western entrance to Barkley Sound. On the way out I discovered an amazing feature which I waypointed in my GPS as "BESTCAVEVR" (short for "Best Cave Ever!"). Three large channels had been carved through the rock, and joined in the back. The middle one was a tunnel, and it was possible to paddle through each one to the back where you could choose which one to paddle back out through. At the back of one was another deep cave, through which a narrow beam of light shone at the far end. Paddling into the cave you could hear the swell washing pebbles around, which created a sound very similar to a cheering crowd. Quite an amazing experience, and one that I had to lure Dan and his kids back to the next day!

The Best Cave Ever!
    [​IMG]

Sometimes the swells get in the way of a great shot
    [​IMG]

Cape Beale Lightstation, as seen from the water
    [​IMG]

Swells breaking on the shores at Cape Beale
    [​IMG]

Seals trying to stay dry on surf-swept rocks
    [​IMG]

2. waverider

waverider Paddler

The girlfriend and I met up with Robert M for an evening paddle on the Nicomekl river last night. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. westcoastwill

westcoastwill Paddler

After the long weekend on Pender with the gang, sushiy and me went to Cabbage Island, got stranded for a day there, due to strong wind, after getting out on a water taxi, i went on my own to Rum and Portland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jurgenk

jurgenk Paddler

Some really great photos lately... Thanks for sharing all.

Brad

5. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

My big trip this july was a continuation of our last year's trip down the west coast. This time we started at Cougar Creek in Nootka Sound on July 20 and finished up in Port Renfrew on July 28th, 150 nautical miles later. After a few wet and miserable days in Nootka Sound we had fantastic paddling weather, making good distances each day. I have posted a report in my blog at:
    http://www.islandnet.com/~mjackson/pblo ... -port.html

6. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Wow, nice photos Mike - and nice trip!

7. chodups

chodups Paddler

I hope that dvrfggr doesn't mind me posting his photo but it is my head, Queens Sound and a "friend" who came to call.
    [​IMG]

8. waverider

waverider Paddler

WOW, dvrfggr that might be the coolest photo I have seen on here ever.
    The chance of you having your camera out just at that moment is 1 in a million.

Did you guys know that whale was heading in your directions? or was it a total surprise?

9. chodups

chodups Paddler

I saw it first about a mile off and thought that it was a fishing boat. Then we saw it at a distance of about 1/2 mile and it was on a course similar to ours but moving faster and we figured it would cross our path well ahead of us. At a distance of about ¼ mile it turned towards us by altering it’s course by 90 degrees. We rafted up to see how close it would come but figured that we were as close at we were going to be. It continued straight towards us and Dave got a couple photos as it approached. It would surface, exhale, inhale submerge, surface, exhale, inhale submerge, all the time coming closer. Dave was very relaxed about it while I was getting nervous and thinking that I had seen enough but there was nothing to do but sit tight. It came up much closer than the photo suggests, exhaled, inhaled, submerged, and now moving away came up, exhaled, inhaled, submerged, etc, all the time never making a wake. The animal was right next to our boats moving about 5 – 8 mph and didn’t disturb the water. Astonished we watched it pass by acknowledging that we never expected to be so close and realizing that we probably never would be again.

At that time it’s partner, who we didn’t know was there, came up 20 feet on the other side of us. It exhaled LOUDLY, inhaled, submerged, surfaced, exhaled, inhaled and dove for an extended period flashing it’s tail as it slipped beneath the water. Dave got a shot it’s tail and our partner Greg got a quick shot of it as it surfaced. All of the photos that were taken in close proximity are a bit compromised as we Dave and Greg were just pointing their cameras and shooting without framing their shots.

What was amazing was that the whales changed their course by 90 degrees while ¼ mile away prior to visiting us. Whether by chance or by intent they came really close and gave us an experience that we longed for but did nothing to achieve. We just sat there and they made it happen.

The photo below was taken by Greg Polkinghorn from about 75 yards away. This is the second whale. BTW...that good looking Chatham 18 is for sale.
    [​IMG]

10. chodups

chodups Paddler

I'll try it again
    [​IMG]

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Astonishing. Just amazing.