WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - July 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

George and I went down to the inner harbour to watch the fireworks from the vantage point of our kayaks. The show was outstanding - and very loud! My photos did not turn out too great as my pentax w20 was hard to hold still for several seconds!
    After paddling to Laurel point we decided to park by the Undersea gardens.

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

2. waverider

waverider Paddler

Was out in English Bay the other day , we may not have the Tall Ships to admire but I found this ship to be very interesting ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

My daughter Maddie, and I returned last night from 8 days in the Broken Group -- had a blast and did lots of paddling (as shown in our track log):

[​IMG]

Trip report will be coming soon.

4. Raimo

Raimo Paddler

That's a lot of paddling Dan! By my calculations about 110 km. Looks like you covered most of the good spots except the outside of Dempster. What happened? Was it windy? Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

5. Dan_Millsip

Good estimate, Raimo. The total distance paddled on our trip was 124km.

To be honest, I'm not sure why we didn't go around the outside of Dempster -- we just didn't. Perhaps it was getting close to dinner time and we wanted to get back to camp (for a delicious salmon dinner).

Speaking of salmon, we had a couple of sport fisherman in power boats give us some salmon on day 3 and day 6. Good thing we brought the butter and garlic. :wink:

6. elmo

elmo Paddler

I'm not able to get out to the west coast for my big trip this year as personal commitments are keeping me in town this summer sooo...

Lately I've been getting out and practising my bracing, edging and turning by running hot-lap slaloms through the pilings under the Selkirk trestle here in Victoria. Couple of hours of focused paddling two or three times a week. Not very exciting but keeps me loose and prevents the cobwebs from forming.

I must... I must... I must improve my... brace?!

daniel

7. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I got out for a solo paddle Saturday morning, as Baines promised a strong ebb current so I was hoping for some opposing wind to stir things up a bit. No such luck - there were some smallish waves towards Chatham but only for a few minutes.

Some interesting bow splashes as I play in the waves
    [​IMG]

Burying the bow in the next wave as I catch some small surf
    [​IMG]

When things had died down, I paddled with the current towards the Chain Islets, where abundant marine life can always be found.

A Harlequin Duck jumps across the water before becoming airborne
    [​IMG]

One of many seal pups in the area gets swimming instruction from an attentive Mom.
    [​IMG]

The main island is usually covered with gulls; this one takes to the air as I approach
    [​IMG]

Bright red urchins are visible in shallow waters at low tide as the strong current sweeps over them
    [​IMG]

A juvenile bald eagle displays some interesting wing shapes as it takes to the air
    [​IMG]

Overall, a great paddle in some strong currents. Although the conditions weren't what I had hoped for, the wildlife in the area reminded me that there are plenty of other reasons to get out on the water!

Hopefully Monday evening's 5.0kt flood current at Race Rocks will give me the practise I need in more exciting conditions - an August trip to the Okisollo tidal rapids will require it!

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Wow, Mark, those bird shots are killer. Any idea what shutter speed they were taken at?

9. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Thanks Dave.

All those shots were taken with the A710IS in it's waterproof housing. I usually stick with Program mode, which allows me to have a bit more flexibility with ISO etc. than full Auto mode, but the camera still chooses shutter speed and aperature. For underwater shots I try to switch over to shutter-priority as anything slower than about 1/60 gets too much blur / camera shake, it seems (probably from my hands shivering!). If I know I'm going to try to capture something quick (like a bird taking off) I'll do the same - select shutter priority and go for almost the fastest speed that the light levels will allow. Unless light levels are very low, I stick with the slowest ISO rating the camera will allow - ISO 80 - for the least amount of graininess.

The shot of the Harlequin Duck was taken at 1/800 sec. at f/4.8. The seagull was taken at the same speed at f/4.0, but the eagle shot needed a bit higher zoom so I had to slow it down to 1/640sec. Aperature was f/4.8 for that - close to the largest aperature the camera will allow at that zoom, to limit my depth of field (and also allow a faster shutter speed). It would have been nice to speed that one up a bit, as there's still some blur from movement at the wingtips.

10. waverider

waverider Paddler

MarkS wrote: an August trip to the Okisollo tidal rapids will require it!

Oh I wait for the day that I have the skills to tackle them. I get goose bumps watching Darren M's video from 2007

11. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

That was a great trip, but it was my first real attempt at paddling in fast moving water, especially with the resultant standing wave as the water rushes over a shallow rock shelf. As the current increased in strength, the water got more turbulent and I found it hard to convince myself to get on the front wave, for fear of being tossed out the back in a horrible jumble of water, air, paddler, boat and paddle. It's a real mess when you get thrashed in that stuff - hard to tell which way is up, and the frothy water gives you much less support (to roll up) than 'regular' solid water, due to the air content (less bouyancy from the paddle).

This year I plan to take some more risks and really get in there! I fully expect to take a serious thrashing but have fun doing it, and hopefully come back with better footage and stills (while remaining alive!).

12. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Mark... those photos are nothing less than luscious! One of the things I like to do is peruse WCP forums just looking at the pictures. It's like a National Geographic but accessible to those lucky enough to live close.

And Wavrider's photograph of a "tall ship" made me happy that my career as a merchant marine officer never forced me to board anything like that. I've turned on the kingpost lights at night on a 900-foot tanker in the Gulf of Alaska to see only white water between me and the raised bow during a full-blown storm. I think a 10-kt breeze might do the same on that "tall ship". Talk about low freeboard!!! It's a great example of "lack of reserve buoyancy".

Thanks to both of you and to all who publish their photos here.

Craig

13. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

GWarner, WetElvis and I headed out toward Race Rocks after work on Monday. Paddling out from Taylor Beach (the foot of Taylor Road in Metchosin) we encountered a strengthening wind, but the forecast was for a 15-20 kt westerly wind and about a 5 kt flood current, meaning that the wind and current would be travelling in (more or less) the same direction. We weren't expecting anything too interesting but it's a nice place to go for a paddle anyway - I usually find somewhere else to go since it's a bit of a drive from home, but I've never regretted getting out that way! Always something a bit different out there.

We got out past William Head and encountered the first of the strong winds coming from our beam from the west across Pedder Bay. We headed for Bentinck Island, and once there found that there were a few smallish waves in the considerable current, so we punched through for a few little rides.

Making our way though the small steep stuff, with the Race Rocks lighthouse visible in the distance (left)
    [​IMG]

The waves started to build quickly, and soon became surf-able, much to our surprise (and enjoyment!).

Surfing down a wave, WetElvis had cut across the wave in front and we came to a rather sudden meeting. Collision avoidance is a useful skill to practise too!
    [​IMG]

With all my speed lost, I watch Elvis carve away on the wave as I build speed for the next one
    [​IMG]

A moment in the trough - breaking waves in front, breaking waves behind! Great stuff!
    [​IMG]

Slipping down the face, with some good speed under me
    [​IMG]

Punching back through for the next run, I catch a glimpse of GWarner as he gains speed and hops on a wave for a ride
    [​IMG]

Enjoying a perfect ride as GWarner looks on from the next crest. Look out - coming through!
    [​IMG]

WetElvis and I take a quick rest before paddling back to the put-in as the evening light begins to fade
    [​IMG]

All in all it was a tough paddle - 3 hours of intense effort against a significant cross-wind and all-out effort catching waves. A few more outings like this and I might get back into shape!

14. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

Damn, those are great pics mark! I got out to the south end of the island this weekend, but lucky for us it was glassy with winds apporaching 10 knots at times. We went around albert head and into Witty's lagoon. Got surrounded by seals and got glimpses of mysterious military installations all along the shore. Wittys was full of heron looking for lunch and the tide was a bit too low to get into witty's lagoon itself without beaching.

Here's some pics.. it's blogged below.

[​IMG]

CFB Albert head with a defunct turret housing on the shore.

[​IMG]

Seals watched us near Witty's. Lots and lots of seals in the water today.

[​IMG]

One of the many "shortcuts" through the islands. Plenty of kelp made the water even smoother.

-Rich

15. Dan_Millsip

Went for a paddle at Point Atkinson yesterday with ebluethner. We had incredibly good conditions -- warm, sunny, and lots of chop for much of the way (probably left over from the strong winds of the day before). We paddled from Eagle Harbour, past Point Atkinson to Caulfield Cove, and then back around to Horseshoe Bay (for an ice cream cone). Just a terrific day on the water.

Point Atkinson:
    [​IMG]

Ducks (er, Mergansers) all in a row. Notice the little one hitching a ride on the mothers back:
    [​IMG]

Looking up Howe Sound as we round Whitecliff Park:
    [​IMG]

Blue Heron on a rock as we enter Horseshoe Bay:
    [​IMG]

Coastal Renaissance, one of the new BC Ferries in Horseshoe Bay:
    [​IMG]

Heading back to Eagle Harbour:
    [​IMG]

16. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Finally took A photographer!

I don't post in here much; I never take the camera (even with its new fancy case) and words rarely do trips justice. SO we took out the new double, with a photographer! Hmm, maybe that is why we needed the double.

To give the photographer credit, you will find these pics and more on her Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbieg/

Inspired by Mark Shillings waterfall pic, we explored Esquimalt Harbour. This proved to be a great day of exploration.

First the obligatory animal pics
    [​IMG]

Fisgard Lighthouse
    [​IMG]

And the ruins on Cole Island
    [​IMG]

Cole Island was absolutely amazing. We got out and wandered about and had lunch. If you want to find out more here is the historical web page:
    http://members.shaw.ca/cole_island/

Their is only one tiny beach to land on; the lower the tide the better. We had to tie our boats up to the rock wall and put paddle floats under them to protect them from the rocks.

The beach is located at the start of the dotted line by the jetty in this map. (*Note - the jetty is on the south side of the island, this pic is somewhat upside down.) While we were there one man docked his tiny boat in one of the huge buildings that stands in the water - where jo is in the previous pic - and came up through that way. May be an answer if it is windy and you don't mind scrabbling on to rocks.
    [​IMG]

One more Cole island shot - 'Quarters for Marine Guard'
    [​IMG]

At this time these buildings are open and you can explore inside as well. Given the level of ruin, I don't think they will be open for long.

AND we did make it up fairly close to the falls, about midway through the tide cycle (2pm yesterday). We had to limbo under logs and scrape through muck. The wildlife was amazing and I felt like I was in a bayou! Thanks for the pic Mark S! Wallpaper here: http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/wallpap ... e=17&pic=6

17. Dan_Millsip

Got out paddling twice today. :D

An enjoyable morning paddle on the Nicomekl River with ebluethner(didn't take pics), and a very quiet and relaxing after dinner solo paddle on the Fraser River tonight. Life is good.

A group of kids from the Langley Canoe club kayak up the Fraser River:
    [​IMG]

Paddling down Bedford Channel:
    [​IMG]

Sun setting over the Jacob Haldi bridge:
    [​IMG]

18. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

False Narrows

I have been coming to Mudge Island for over 40 years, but it has only been the last year that my trips here have included a kayak - ok, I am a late-comer to this wonderful activity. Had a great paddle around Link and DeCourcy, then over the tombolo between Mudge and Link. I never tire of the rock formations.

Spent some time last night in a secluded (read as - calm) bay, practicing edge turns, leaning, bracing etc. Of course that meant getting wet - a lot!
    I also took the time to see how well my Backup worked, I am glad I have it, but it is not a substitute for a solid roll technique.
    Clearly I need to practice more, and a bracing/rolling course is mandatory.

My Nigel Foster Shadow is very different from my Waters Dancing Solace - steep learning curve, but oh so much fun! Way faster too!

My son has the slap/brace down pretty well - I claim it is his lower center of gravity!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :D :D

19. RichardH

RichardH Paddler

I got up to some gentle paddling this weekend. I went out for a great night paddle from Cadboro bay out to the Chain islands . It was pretty weird seeing a giant towed barge coming through Baynes channel, but we got to ride a fun wake. As we came back in from the chains we met up with a dude on his trimaran and got a good lesson on how to (how not to) sail east from Toronto to Victoria.

[​IMG]

Tug and Barge coming through Baynes channel against the current.

[​IMG]

Strange currents around Harris Island.

[​IMG]

A neat kayak with bulkeads and everything just chillin on the beach.

The second trip was with some of my coworkers out to the Gorge. It was a really easy and gentle paddle, but it wore everyone in the group out. We went up to the bridge and the current predictions were all dead wrong. It was flooding in about an hour before it was supposed to, and it was going at a generous clip. We turned around and visited the inner harbour instead, being treated to a glimpse of a 4 level yacht in the international harbour of ship's point. The Tigre d'or as it's known is really a testament to fibreglass construction. We had a nice quick paddle back to the rental outfit thanks to the tides. Nice to see some of my friends at work enjoying the sport, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stories and more photos in my blog below. :)

20. elmo

elmo Paddler

Had a good peddle & paddle to Sooke, some summer fog that dissipated around noon, pretty good winds from the west, playing on the tides off Whiffen Spit, and some challenging waves off Possesion Point.

Was a great day :D

daniel