WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - July 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Jul 2, 2008.

1. rider

rider Paddler

Me and Denise spent 5 days in Johnstone Strait. Saw lots of porpoises, two young orcas and a multitude of gigantic cruise ships. Had strong winds for the first couple days, and glassy water after that. Strong winds opposing the current made for a fun-to-play-in rip in the late afternoon and i had a blast surfing it. Definitely a special place i plan to revisit one day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jill

Jill Paddler

Spent a couple af days visiting family at Qualicum Bay . Had a beautiful evening paddle with my eldest daughter watching the sun set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

You guys get up my nose! :wink: All these photos are all such fabulous quality. :clap: kudos & respect to all who participate. :mrgreen:

4. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

Lac Le Superier

I was able to get up and paddle at Sunrise on the Minnesota North Coast. Sunrise is the only time that the light will play magic with the rocks and water up there.

[​IMG]

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Cool photo Kheyashunka!

Candikayak and I enjoyed a great day on Kalamalka Lake!
    Candi playing a bit...something we should all do more often!
    I know...we're spoiled with our warm water!
    Kathy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rider

rider Paddler

This weekend i did my long-time-delayed Nanaimo paddle, turns out timing was just right and i did it on the Nanaimo Bathtub race weekend.
    Started out of Departure Bay, paddled through the cave/arch on Jesse Island, paddled way out to Gabriola. Found a nice rock to camp on, in the morning paddled over to Entrance Island and back into the Nanaimo Harbor for the Race. Wow was the harbor EVER a gong show! I somehow managed to snap a few pics between dodging dozens of powerboats and bobbing around in the confused wakes from them all. And then for what i called the "urban cave paddling", squeezed myself between what must've been the whole Canadian Pacific fleet, four ships side by side in 2 rows of 2,tight side by side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

7. waverider

waverider Paddler

I guess Jurfie and I had the same Idea as you Kathy (and Candi) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/code]

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Holy cow! That's way cool, rider.

I doubt that you'd be able to do that in the "land of the free" without being greeted by guys with machine guns.

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Dan wrote:Holy cow! That's way cool, rider.

I doubt that you'd be able to do that in the "land of the free" without being greeted by guys with machine guns.

That's a guarantee, for sure. They enforce perimeters of about 100 meters around everything: military, cruise ships, etc. I got scoped once and almost "boarded" by the Coast Guard and the local county sheriff, except they recognized me by name. Made me wonder what happens if they don't know you.

10. Kermode

Kermode Paddler

Gitmo or Probably just drop something big on you! (like a 40lb shell) :wink:
    I thought even here there was a "no approach zone" for naval/ military installations. thought I'd read it in one of the guide books where it mentioned Esquimalt, & the another base, submarines?? near Comox. Maybe one of our Island friends can enlighten us. Must admit I can quite understand any concern, how do they know Rider (or anyone else) isn't packin' a bag of something nasty? :twisted:

11. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

There is, and although I admit I don't know all the details, I think the general idea is that you can't get close to military bases, including ships anchored or tied up at a military base. Presumably, when the ships are at anchor or tied up around 'civilian' waters, you can probably approach without fear of being asked to keep your distance to the same extent that you would be near a naval base. Of course, if the ships are on excercises or doing official military stuff, the rules are probably different. Regardless of where they are or what they're doing, it's probably best to make your presence known, whatever your intentions!

Great pix, Rider!

12. rider

rider Paddler

Thanks
    Here's a couple more.
    The navy guys and girls that were relaxing on their decks seemed pretty friendly and waved when they saw me paddling around the outside of their ships. It's the utter chaos of the Nanaimo harbor before and during the start of the bathtub race that made me slightly nervous.(that and my non-waterproof handheld camera "setup",used in choppy water)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] :D

13. Jill

Jill Paddler

Paddled to Dark Creek Pitt lake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Notice he didn't even let me get my spraydeck on before he attacked. :evil:

Also notice I was trying to smack water at him to get him off!! 8)

'twas fun though... :D

15. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Jill, did you paddle up the west side to get to Dark Creek?

That shot of the dry outlines on the beach is awesome!

16. Jill

Jill Paddler

Yes , up the west side in about 16 inches of water, shallower in some spots but the tide was coming in.